Watchable telly

dog

On 21/09/2021 at 10:37, Bob The Badger said:

Watched the first episode of Alma's Not Normal on iPlayer after hearing and reading rave reviews and it winning a BAFTA on the back of the pilot alone.

Really good, reminds me a lot of Fleabag although not quite at that level just yet, but there's time.

Binge watched all 6 episodes last night. Exceptional! funny, moving, covers so many real issues to make you think but immensely entertaining and some fantastic one liners and great acting. Will be watching it all again no doubt.

On 24/08/2021 at 00:13, Carl Sagan said:

Went to the "world premiere" of the new show Vigil tonight ("from the makers of Line of Duty"). It'll be on BBC1 Sunday nights like Line of Duty, but in fact episode 2 is on Bank Holiday Monday.

Was a really excellent start. I'd say definitely worth a watch. 

Following this up, the finale is this Sunday so a good opportunity to binge between now and then if you haven't watched any yet.

Never been on a Submarine and after watching this, I never do. Ships on the water are bad enough, can't imagine why anyone would ever want to volunteer to go under the water...

Difference between a ship and a boat? No Googling aloud!

3 hours ago, G_Kinkladze said:

Following this up, the finale is this Sunday so a good opportunity to binge between now and then if you haven't watched any yet.

Never been on a Submarine and after watching this, I never do. Ships on the water are bad enough, can't imagine why anyone would ever want to volunteer to go under the water...

Can we Google quietly?

55 minutes ago, G_Kinkladze said:

To be honest my answer is based on what a sailor in the Navy told me, however he's scouse and is banned from Bermuda so might not be the most reliable source of information!

I genuinely haven't looked, but if I was guessing I'd say a boat has a propeller of some description and a ship doesn't.

Then again wasn't the Titanic a ship? 

A heads-up that (I presume the first of) Isaac Asimov's epic Foundation books have been made into a TV series on something called Apple TV, whatever that is. It must have a lot of money behind it as the production values are very strong, with some beautiful spacecraft and a very well done space elevator. The "jump ships" have a hollow centre containing a gyroscope that creates a mini black hole and wormhole - very clever.

I watched the first two (or ten) episodes. It's quite slow, but that augers well for an epic that should span a thousand years of galactic history.

I'll definitely keep watching. It's a book series that's influenced my own thinking and writing and inspired many other people. Some call them the greatest scifi novels of all time. So far I'm surprised not to like any of the characters at all, which could make it tough going,  but hopefully that will change as things progress. Extended trailer:

On 23/09/2021 at 05:01, G_Kinkladze said:

Isn't it all to do with the position of the centre of gravity in relation to the upper deck level?

8 hours ago, Eddie said:

Isn't it all to do with the position of the centre of gravity in relation to the upper deck level?

£5 to that man! Or Derby County Football Club, both worth about the same at the moment!

A boat rolls inward in a turn and a ship outward (which looks a little bizarre!) owing to the centre of gravity.

12 hours ago, Eddie said:

I actually looked it up and it seems there isn't a literal definition just lots of people arguing about it and it would seem that the easiest way to think about is that a boat can fit on a ship can carry a boat but a boat cannot carry a ship.

I'd like to see somebody try and get this 570 foot monster onto a ship. image.thumb.png.0a4da128e39713b25a14a8fe116ba7bf.png

4 hours ago, G_Kinkladze said:

£5 to that man! Or Derby County Football Club, both worth about the same at the moment!

A boat rolls inward in a turn and a ship outward (which looks a little bizarre!) owing to the centre of gravity.

I think your Scouser mate was just being a Scouser because some serious maritime sites can't agree on a definition.

On 21/09/2021 at 01:09, Carl Sagan said:

There'll doubtless be plenty anti the Premier League, but I'm enjoying the Fever Pitch documentary on the BBC. Don't they all look so young!?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p09mqv7k

A series about the EPL, how and why it was formed and how it grew, the implications on broader football would have been really interesting, but in half an hour it turns into Le Saux exposing why he signed for Blackburn and Garry Pallister doing a strange impression of Kenny Rogers while he talks about the only goal he ever scored of any importance and just a cheap excuse for the Beeb to rerun footage they have rights to.

Floyd Streete / 10

We watched the final episode of Vigil last night.

Episode 1 - David Nish/10

Episodes 2 - 4 - Ron Webster/10

Episode 5 - Derek Hales/10

Episode 6 - Derek Hales mum/10

I'd like to have a word with the people plying the scriptwriters with drink.

Soooo many plot flaws and soooo much nonsense starting about half way into the 5th episode.

Questions and some spoilers, so don't read below if you haven't seen it yet.

-----------

What on earth was the point of the subplot regarding the two women and was there anything more obvious than she was going to tell her she loved her at the end?

At one point they said the Russians were trying to get the sub to surface. Well it did, the first time?

Can you really potentially sink a nuclear sub with a spanner and some ill will? I honestly don't know the answer to that, but it's a tad worrying of you can.

Why would the Russian Navy go after a NATO sub in peacetime? Couldn't they have set the scene with some massive tension that had been building over months to make it remotely plausible?

You cannot keep the smell of an orange in a polythene bag, but the coxswain wrapped a can of sarin in it ffs!

She was a trained cop but she turned into a typical stereotypical TV woman in some scenes, especially when Prentice was being stabbed for fun. I'm just surprised they didn't have her put her hands to the side of her head and scream, just in case we weren't sure she was a weak pathetic woman.

Meanwhile her partner was fighting off a big burly Russian with a knife back at home.

She was telling the coxswain to push through to get out (which he did) after being poisoned by highly toxic nerve gas and of course, he managed to get out. I'm not sure chemical weapons work quite like that. It's not like he was running a 5k and felt a bit tired.

The cook died in seconds covered in vomit and the coxswain had more exposure but got better sans vomit and even managed being throttled whilst in bed.

The doctor gave him a lovely kiss after she knew he was toxic and even though she was basically finishing with him.

They were telling everybody to keep away from the other people who were effected by the gas but they were queuing up to touch the coxswain.

Sarin is invisible, yet this looked like something out of a Frankenstein lab.

Other than the bad dude, I though the acting wasn't bad at all and so was the scene itself.

This has massive promise and ended up like something FOX TV would have made with some swearing.

What did you think @Carl Sagan?