Watchable telly

dog

On 24/07/2022 at 23:03, PodgeyRam said:

Part way through Ted Lasso at the moment on Apple TV. 

While not laugh out loud funny all the time, I can't help but melt over how warm-hearted it is. 

In real life the character would absolutely be incredibly annoying, but on TV he's just the right amount of charming. He'd be sacked within a week at Derby though.

Also, Brett Goldstein as Roy Kent doing his best Roy Keane impression is absolutely hilarious.

I watched the first series and thought it was watchable. Season 2 is awful though. Apple TV subscription was cancelled immediately. I won’t bother for the next season. 

18 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Bang on.. series 4 is the best of all of them. Worth wading through s3 to get  to.

Glad my impression is one that is becoming the accepted opinion, Stranger Things started off different, quirky and enjoyable...got too self-aware and too silly. 4th season was much darker and all the better for it.

Anyway - 'FROM'.

Was flicking around looking for something to watch with Mrs Chester40 and plumped for this totally blind. She checked out after 15mins.

Returned to it later and binged it. Giving it a solid 7.5/10. It reminded me of the middle era of Walking Dead - a community trying to build under outside stress, but actually better as I wasn't tired of it and there is more intrigue.

Have now noted the strapline 'from the people who brought you Lost '...which is interesting as I have continually wondered 'why hasn't somebody tried to recreate Lost in a different setting/scenario'. In hindsight there are parallels - with flashbacks/backstories and monsters with unknown origins.

Think a 2nd series is agreed and I will definitely watch. Interested to see what other's think...definitely not without issues and it doesn't really hold together but something about it was good, maybe it's the writing/ideas that like Lost made it watchable when it really shouldn't be.

Edited by Chester40

Been watching 1883 on Paramount+

Western drama about a perilous convey of wagons from Texas to Montana, led by grizzled old soldiers who’ve seen it all.

Nature, bandits and native tribes are all against them.

Pretty grim in places and occasional gems from the excellent Sam Elliott are welcome.

If you like your westerns gritty, this could be for you.

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Western drama about a perilous convey of wagons from Texas to Montana, led by grizzled old soldiers who’ve seen it all.

Pretty grim in places and occasional gems from the excellent Sam Elliott are welcome.

Not usually into Westerns but loved Godless. Do you think I would like it?

13 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Not usually into Westerns but loved Godless. Do you think I would like it?

Yes, I watched Godless. 1883 is a similar type of representation of how tough life was back then. The first two episodes are particularly good. Watch out for Billy Bob Thornton as the sheriff.

The story is told through the narration of a teenage girl who’s wide eyed and keen to live life to the full but who becomes embroiled in a hellish journey.

One of those where you’ll know with in 15 minutes but I have enjoyed it so far.

48 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Yes, I watched Godless. 1883 is a similar type of representation of how tough life was back then. The first two episodes are particularly good. Watch out for Billy Bob Thornton as the sheriff.

The story is told through the narration of a teenage girl who’s wide eyed and keen to live life to the full but who becomes embroiled in a hellish journey.

One of those where you’ll know with in 15 minutes but I have enjoyed it so far.

Hope you've not done a @Mostyn6and watched in the wrong order!

10 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

One of the best series I’ve seen for a long time, it’s a prequel to Yellowstone which I also enjoyed. 

6 hours ago, ThePrisoner said:

I think Mostyn had watched 1883, but @Ted McMinn Football Genius recommended watching Yellowstone first. To that effect anyway!

I watched it before seeing either mentioned on here. Never even seen Yellowstone as an option to watch, yet they were championing 1883 and nowhere in it's blurb did it mention it being part of a series.

14 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Starting watching The Newsreader on i-Player (Aussie drama set in a TV Newsroom in 1986). Two episodes in - pretty good so far.

Same - my jury is still out, but Mrs Stive likes it.

I can't work out of the stylised 1980s music/fashion/news is also extending to the wooden 80s style soap opera script and acting. Maybe it's deliberate, in which case fair play - they've nailed it!

12 hours ago, Rev said:

Just finished Afterlife.  

3 series of hoping the useless Bamford would top himself, and spare me the misery of watching any further.

Alas, not to be.

Jeez - could you not have started with 'spoiler alert'....

On 08/08/2022 at 15:34, Crewton said:

Starting watching The Newsreader on i-Player (Aussie drama set in a TV Newsroom in 1986). Two episodes in - pretty good so far.

Thanks for this. Must have passed me by. Don't ever recall it being shown or trailed on BBC. 

One of my all time favourite shows is The Newsroom (Jeff Daniels). This looks similar. Will check it out. ?

15 hours ago, Eddie said:

'Black Mirror' on Netflix.

I've watched the first half a dozen episodes/stories so far, and this stuff is right up my street. It definitely has a 'Twilight Zone' feel to it.

Watched this as it came out; great series. Funnily enough I went back to it the other week to re-watch a few of my favourite episodes which is unusual for me as I rarely go back to something I've already seen.