Watchable telly

dog

On 22/05/2022 at 08:12, r4derby said:

Very excited for Stranger Things season 4, with the first 7 episodes coming this Friday. The runtimes look ridiculous. It is rumoured that 2-3 of the episodes will be as long as feature films, with the last episode being 2 and a half hours long.

I’m not complaining, but it asks the question - should there be a maximum length to TV shows? The whole point, in my opinion, is that they are shorter that a movie, but with more of them to unpack a story in short chunks. I won’t know until I’ve watched the whole series in early July, but looking at the timings, could they just have made the series from 9 to 12 episodes? It’s not an issue when the series is good, but could be an issue if shows that are not as good interesting start doing it.

For anything after series one I could tell how long the episodes should be

(I'm only joshing with ya, pay me no mind)

Stranger Things ...initially loved the quirky nostalgia but felt it waned during season 1.

Series 2 and 3 got dafter and more overtly childish and nostalgia driven...so I had low hopes for season 4.

Three episodes in....probably my favourite season so far. Darker, better storylines, less sickly sweet.

On 27/05/2022 at 21:49, Chester40 said:

Stranger Things ...initially loved the quirky nostalgia but felt it waned during season 1.

Series 2 and 3 got dafter and more overtly childish and nostalgia driven...so I had low hopes for season 4.

Three episodes in....probably my favourite season so far. Darker, better storylines, less sickly sweet.

Interesting. Felt similar on first watch through. Enjoyed seasons 2 and 3 more second time round as you can see the underlying narrative. Plus, more things make sense.

Finished all 7 episodes of season 4. Hard to judge without spoilers, will say it gets better in the later episodes, which is common with the other seasons. It’s a lot more horror based. Bit much some of the stuff. I much prefer the thriller and tension side over the gory stuff. Looking forward to the last 2 episodes!

Just watched all 6 episodes of...Once upon a time in Londongrad on Sky documentaries.

Concerning 14 deaths including Boris Berezovsky...Oligarch, All linked to Russia/Putin and billions upon billions of £s.

USA secret service were aware of the linked deaths, UK Police either said suicide or natural causes.

Great viewing...imo?  

Watching We Own This City which is another HBO series centred on the West Baltimore PD. Had not realised until a couple of episodes in that it's a true story which is kinda staggering. Similar themes to HBO's brilliant The Wire and a lot of familiar (now grown up) faces from that show, but with one very significant difference - no spoilers!

The story is not lineal so requires a little concentration but thus far it's very good, with Jon Bernthal typically excellent in the lead role. Only 6 one hour episodes so very little padding and is rattling along at a cracking pace as a result. Worth a look.

All episodes available on Sky Atlantic. Had you going for a moment there eh, Mr Mostyn ?

On 07/05/2022 at 21:53, Anag Ram said:

The staircase on Sky Atlantic is very good. Colin Firth as real life novelist Michael Peterson, accused of killing his wife who was found at the bottom of the stairs. A fall? Maybe, but why so many catastrophic injuries?

I am gripped. 

Well-made but slow going. "normal" 45-50 minute episodes instead of the 75 min episodes would have improved it. 

36 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

All episodes available on Sky Atlantic. Had you going for a moment there eh, Mr Mostyn ?

I've seen the adverts to be fair, and was waiting for all episodes to become available. But thanks for letting the general reader know where to find it.

anyone here been watching The Boys? (on Amazon Prime)

Prepare for a hilarious shocking scene or two in the opening episode of season 3. One of the character's superpower is to shrink himself. I literally burst out with a laughing fit about 15 mins in to the episode.

On 04/06/2022 at 20:23, Bob The Badger said:

Excited to see the new Bosch has dropped on Amazon. Anybody seen it yet?

We are half way through season 3 of Spiral and half thinking of breaking off for a couple of weeks to watch it. 

Bosch Legacy is very good, 10 episodes based on the book 'two kinds of truth'. I watched it on freevee (amazon)

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

anyone here been watching The Boys? (on Amazon Prime)

Prepare for a hilarious shocking scene or two in the opening episode of season 3. One of the character's superpower is to shrink himself. I literally burst out with a laughing fit about 15 mins in to the episode.

Yep, hooked. Love this show.  But like many I have to say I didn't know whether to laugh or feel nauseous in the opening episode.  It was like watching an adult version of Ant Man.  Glad it wasn't in 3D!

So over the past couple of weeks:

finished S3 of Love, Death & Robots - good fun, adult "shorts" - still feel S1 was the best overall 

finished final season of Ozark - bit bonkers but thought it was put to bed well.

finished S4 Pt I Stranger Things - darker than the last seasons, had to ignore the fact the kids are actually adults now, but still loving the 80s link and looking forward to Pt II in a few weeks. 

Next up The Midwich Cuckoos - intrigued not least we watched some of it being filmed in our local village. 

2 hours ago, I am Ram said:

Bosch Legacy is very good, 10 episodes based on the book 'two kinds of truth'. I watched it on freevee (amazon)

Did you watch all the other seasons of Bosch? I really wasn't arsed about the first one but stuck with it and it got a lot better and became excellent.

And what is free view? I saw that, but have never noticed it before on Amazon. Does that mean even people with Prime have to labour through ads? Because I presume you can't fast forward through them like a recording. 

17 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Watching We Own This City which is another HBO series centred on the West Baltimore PD. Had not realised until a couple of episodes in that it's a true story which is kinda staggering. Similar themes to HBO's brilliant The Wire and a lot of familiar (now grown up) faces from that show, but with one very significant difference - no spoilers!

The story is not lineal so requires a little concentration but thus far it's very good, with Jon Bernthal typically excellent in the lead role. Only 6 one hour episodes so very little padding and is rattling along at a cracking pace as a result. Worth a look.

Thanks, Downloading them now, I'll be watching all later today, Corrupt police who'd have thought it ?

On 03/06/2022 at 17:48, Unlucky Alf said:

Just watched all 6 episodes of...Once upon a time in Londongrad on Sky documentaries.

Concerning 14 deaths including Boris Berezovsky...Oligarch, All linked to Russia/Putin and billions upon billions of £s.

USA secret service were aware of the linked deaths, UK Police either said suicide or natural causes.

Great viewing...imo?  

Watched this after your recommendation, very good documentary, short and snappy.