Watchable telly

dog

49 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

Just watched Trainwreck: Woodstock 99 on Netflix.  Shocking little docuseries, 3 episodes long.  The utter lack of acceptance from the organising is mind boggling.  Definitely worth a watch if you've not already.

Very good and disturbing equally.  Michel Lang of course did organise the original Woodstock. Fortunately for him they were all high on LSD and herbal marijuana for the most part and then the army bailed him out with free water distribution.  Not so this time, £8 dollars for water and a much angrier line up of acts and punters. 

As at foot note, Norman Cooks fookin aged.

On 08/08/2022 at 15:50, Stive Pesley said:

Same - my jury is still out, but Mrs Stive likes it.

I can't work out of the stylised 1980s music/fashion/news is also extending to the wooden 80s style soap opera script and acting. Maybe it's deliberate, in which case fair play - they've nailed it!

Think it's getting better and better. Did Ep.5 last night which was sooo powerful. 

On 19/07/2022 at 11:37, Wolfie20 said:

Based on positive comments on here I've started watching Spiral and now part way through series 3. It's superb and the Gilou character is brilliant. On BBC i-player and highly recommend it.

Where are you with this @Wolfie20?

I cannot find who it was now, but somebody said they felt it got worse but wasn't sure if they just got subtitle fatigue.

I agree, we are 2/3rd through Season 6 and the writing has noticeably deteriorated.

Still brilliant acting and great little non-stories as per real life, but too many plot flaws and improbable/impossible situations creeping in.

It reminds me a bit of how Line of Duty dropped off.

On 11/08/2022 at 10:49, therealhantsram said:

Think it's getting better and better. Did Ep.5 last night which was sooo powerful. 

We've stuck with it and I'm enjoying it a bit more now. Just watched the bombing one last night so Ep5 is next

16 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I cannot find who it was now, but somebody said they felt it got worse but wasn't sure if they just got subtitle fatigue.

I agree, we are 2/3rd through Season 6 and the writing has noticeably deteriorated.

Still brilliant acting and great little non-stories as per real life, but too many plot flaws and improbable/impossible situations creeping in.

It wasn't me - I loved all of it and didn't notice a drop-off in the writing, but as with most of these types of program, the longer it goes on the more you have to suspend disbelief at all the coincidences and improbabilities. If you say anything else bad about it then I'll get Gilou to come and slap you  until you take it back ?

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

Where are you with this @Wolfie20?

It reminds me a bit of how Line of Duty dropped off.

You're a little ahead of me. I'm part way through Series 5 and have enjoyed every series - my only concern has been how Laure's boss has gone from bad to good ?. Favourite characters are Gilou and Roban.

Edited by Wolfie20

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

my only concern has been how Laure's boss has gone from bad to good ?

I mentioned that to Mrs Badger last night, he's an even nicer guy in 6.

It's not got bad btw, it's still good. Just that the writing was so freakin' tight before that it feels like the bar has been notched down.

Previously it was set at Olympic final height, now it's more like Commonwealth Games final height.

7 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Final Better Call Saul was released on Netflix today.

Immensely good slow TV that started out even more beautifully shot than Breaking Bad, and somehow went up several notches over the course of 6 series.

Top tier status for me.

Yes, it’s great but whilst I’ve not seen the last episode I haven’t really enjoyed Saul’s decline in the past three episodes. His humour and relationship with Kim were his redeeming features and whilst I understand the inevitability (and the parallels with Walter White) it has made it less entertaining. I’ve also missed Gus Fring and Co.

Very clever show, though.

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

Yes, it’s great but whilst I’ve not seen the last episode I haven’t really enjoyed Saul’s decline in the past three episodes. His humour and relationship with Kim were his redeeming features and whilst I understand the inevitability (and the parallels with Walter White) it has made it less entertaining. I’ve also missed Gus Fring and Co.

Very clever show, though.

I was of the same opinion, but the final episode is pitched just right and rebalances those previous episodes - think you’ll enjoy it…..

On 05/08/2022 at 10:04, Anag Ram said:

Been watching 1883 on Paramount+

Western drama about a perilous convey of wagons from Texas to Montana, led by grizzled old soldiers who’ve seen it all.

Nature, bandits and native tribes are all against them.

Pretty grim in places and occasional gems from the excellent Sam Elliott are welcome.

If you like your westerns gritty, this could be for you.

Does Mongo punch out a horse in it?

On 16/08/2022 at 21:54, JoetheRam said:

Final Better Call Saul was released on Netflix today.

Immensely good slow TV that started out even more beautifully shot than Breaking Bad, and somehow went up several notches over the course of 6 series.

Top tier status for me.

Agree with this. Especially about the way it's filmed. Very carefully thought about by whoever is responsible for such stuff!

Now I've seen all of it, I was thinking about the order to view BCS and BB. 

I , as usual, late to anything, watched the the first five seasons of BCS , and then BB. I then rewatched all of BB. Was surprised by things I'd missed, and enjoyed it more the second time. I think logically, it makes more sense to watch them in the order I did. I then watched the final series of BCS. 

Loved both shows. Would have preferred if Jimmy had never had a brother! And would have liked Hector to be 'able bodied' for a lot longer. 

1 hour ago, ketteringram said:

Agree with this. Especially about the way it's filmed. Very carefully thought about by whoever is responsible for such stuff!

Now I've seen all of it, I was thinking about the order to view BCS and BB. 

I , as usual, late to anything, watched the the first five seasons of BCS , and then BB. I then rewatched all of BB. Was surprised by things I'd missed, and enjoyed it more the second time. I think logically, it makes more sense to watch them in the order I did. I then watched the final series of BCS. 

Loved both shows. Would have preferred if Jimmy had never had a brother! And would have liked Hector to be 'able bodied' for a lot longer. 

It would be interesting if some clever clogs could do a chronological cut of BCS, BB and El Camino. 

I can't really imagine watching Saul before BB but guess it would make certain parts more tense as you wouldn't know the outcomes for their character but did it not make it incredibly hard to follow/make you wonder who certain people were?

It will be interesting if there's another spin off in that world.

There's a lot of things they could write, whether it's possible to produce to a good standard is another question.

Mike origin story could be interesting, Vacuum Shop Guy was pretty underused, a Skinny Pete and Badger 30 minute sitcom could be just what we need, Huell and Bill Burrs character in a series of light hearted 10 minute shorts doing various heavy lifting, Gale's home movies, Salamanca cousins doing cartel stuff... or maybe they should leave it there.

On 10/08/2022 at 15:33, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Very good and disturbing equally.  Michel Lang of course did organise the original Woodstock. Fortunately for him they were all high on LSD and herbal marijuana for the most part and then the army bailed him out with free water distribution.  Not so this time, £8 dollars for water and a much angrier line up of acts and punters. 

As at foot note, Norman Cooks fookin aged.

Its 20 years on, so I think Norman looks OK considering!

Michael Lang came across as a bit of a plank really.

Really good watch I thought.  Looked hellishly hot...felt dehydrated just watching.

When Korn opened their set with 'Blind' it was both spine-tingly and frightening to watch  -how people didn't get crushed to death was unbelievable. 

After lots of pressure from the missus I have watched The Outlaws.

Stephen Merchant and Christopher Walken (nope, no clue either why either he agreed), plus various other vaguely familiar faces.

Drama comedy, which is engaging, pleasant, amusing, watchable but not earth-shattering.

For me -better than Camping and Motherland...but not as good as Home (Webb n Mitchell), and also sorta describes what to expect really.

Edited by Chester40