Watchable telly

dog

On 07/06/2022 at 13:43, NottsRam said:

Has anyone watched Midwich Cuckoos yet?  Thinking of trying it next.

Not sure if you've watched it, but yes, I binged it last week. Keeley Hawes is good but overall I'd say it's just OK.  My main interest though was more location spotting as it was all filmed in my village and nearby Amersham so this probably skewed my perception slightly. Is it worth trying, I'd say so, but there is better around at the moment (Stranger Things, The Boys, Lincoln Lawyer, Russian Doll or Vikings Valhalla to name a few).

Into the 3rd episode of Bosch Legacy and a bit disappointed tbh.

This one reminds me more of Bosch season 1 than the later ones.  I'm struggling to accept his daughter as a cop. I'm not sure if it's that the role doesn't fit the character that has developed over the year, that she's not a great actor, or that she just doesn't look like an L.A. cop.

It's ok, but having paused Spiral in between season 3 and 4 I'm looking forward to going back.

20 hours ago, BucksRam said:

Not sure if you've watched it, but yes, I binged it last week. Keeley Hawes is good but overall I'd say it's just OK.  My main interest though was more location spotting as it was all filmed in my village and nearby Amersham so this probably skewed my perception slightly. Is it worth trying, I'd say so, but there is better around at the moment (Stranger Things, The Boys, Lincoln Lawyer, Russian Doll or Vikings Valhalla to name a few).

Thanks, i have watched it over the last couple of nights, i agree, it was okay, fairly enjoyable without being outstanding.  Worth a watch.

On 10/06/2022 at 22:10, PodgeyRam said:

Finished the latest episodes of Stranger Things season 4. Really wasn't prepared for how dark this season was going to be, but after adjusting my expectations following that first episode I loved it. 

One episode (if you've seen it you can probably guess which one) had me weeping at the end. What a great use of a classic song.

The child actors are definitely more like adults now, but I can suspend my disbelief long enough to ignore it. Can't wait for the last two episodes to drop.

Episode 4 is a banger, and the last episode of this part was some great story stuff as well.

And my favourite part is that there are still 2 more episodes to come in 2 weeks. Sounds silly but I may need to watch the first 7 episodes again before they come out.

The kids are becoming lanky teenagers now so there’s that to contend with. Trying to keep the kids interesting will be the tricky thing for season 5, but with that being the final season they can use up all their ideas!

15 hours ago, Eddie said:

Fargo (Netflix).

The blackest of black comedy - right up my street.

Billy Bob Thornton was chilling as the baddie (can't remember which season it was).

I missed the 4th season as it came out around the time we were moving back here but I've heard a bunch of people like @Stive Pesley say it was less than stellar.

Finished Bosch Legacy and to be honest I think spellchecker was on the ball when it tried to just change it ro borsch. I'd rather have drank a cauldron of borsch. Super disappointing. 

23 hours ago, Rev said:

4 episodes in, and Sherwood is as good as anything I've watched recently. 

Whip sharp writing that's attracted a cast where literally everyone is a well known actor, I can't recall a better ensemble in a British drama ever.

We're 4 episodes in too and I think the cast is hurting it. It's like they literally refused to hire anybody who you're not likely to recognise from something or other. I'm finding it distracting tbh.

And it's not like their stellar actors, David Morrissey and Lesley Manville notwithstanding, but rather competent.

I want to see where the story goes and I'd say it's ok, but compared to things like Time and First Responder, it's not even close to that level of acting or scriptwriting imho.

Really enjoying The Boys on Amazon Prime.

A mate convinced me to give it a go, knowing how much I dislike superhero guff he was adamant I would still like it.

It’s not a show that takes itself seriously like the Batman, Superman, Avengers crap, this is actually watchable…..especially with Starlight. 

57 minutes ago, David said:

Really enjoying The Boys on Amazon Prime.

A mate convinced me to give it a go, knowing how much I dislike superhero guff he was adamant I would still like it.

It’s not a show that takes itself seriously like the Batman, Superman, Avengers crap, this is actually watchable…..especially with Starlight. 

Erin Moriarty indeed. 

image.thumb.png.46c00316fc6e3b0b171f227ffb8084a1.png

?

On 21/06/2022 at 10:08, NottsRam said:

I know there are a few on here who highly rate Gomorrah and Suburra Blood on Rome, for you guys there is a new Sky Atlantic series Blocco 181, sounds promising, going to give it a go this week.

Mrs Badger pointed that out last night. Do report back.

We've just got back into the 4th season of the brilliant Spiral after disappointing sojourns to watch Bosch Legacy and Sherwood (which I'm glad we caught up on because I was at breaking point with it).

I think Spiral is a close 2nd to me behind Gomorrah for subtitled series.

22 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Mrs Badger pointed that out last night. Do report back.

We've just got back into the 4th season of the brilliant Spiral after disappointing sojourns to watch Bosch Legacy and Sherwood (which I'm glad we caught up on because I was at breaking point with it).

I think Spiral is a close 2nd to me behind Gomorrah for subtitled series.

You've mentioned Spiral a few times now. Will give it a go. 

On 21/06/2022 at 10:08, NottsRam said:

I know there are a few on here who highly rate Gomorrah and Suburra Blood on Rome, for you guys there is a new Sky Atlantic series Blocco 181, sounds promising, going to give it a go this week.

Just had a quick gander at the show's IMDB page. I'll give it a go but I thought the one and only user review to date might give you a giggle!

image.thumb.png.3b0117e2687dca0a0b152d03fb41d224.png

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

It's a grower.

We stoped about 2 episodes in and then again at 4 or 5. It was really only my sister badgering me, and that she got me into Gomorrah, that that made me go back.

The 2nd series delves into Paris gangs and I thought it may top out there, but when it went back to a murder enquiry in the 3rd season it was just as good.

To score 8.5 on IMDb with 88 episodes is pretty impressive. Gomorrah is 8.7 and I think that small gap is about right.

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Just had a quick gander at the show's IMDB page. I'll give it a go but I thought the one and only user review to date might give you a giggle!

image.thumb.png.3b0117e2687dca0a0b152d03fb41d224.png

I read a review the other day (can't remember what the film was now, but I love reading reviews for truly dreadful films and it scored 4.something) that said something like 'I've never reviewed anything in my life, not a film, not a restaurant and not a hotel. I didn't even have an IMDb account but had to open one just to tell people how bad this is.'

I love that level of commitment.

9 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

The first series was ok’ish, and I did nearly call it a day at that point. However, I think that series was produced in 2005. The next few series though were very good. Perhaps tailed off a little in the last 2 although to be fair I may have become sub-title fatigued as I got to series 7 and 8.  Definitely worth a watch well past Series 1. Worst case you should enjoy the eye candy of a young Audrey Fleurot.