Paul Warne, managers and plan

There'll be a time to move on from PW, and I think instinctivly as a generalisation Derby fans don't like Paul Warne type teams.

However, I think PW is the man to keep us up this season, the squad believe in him, we might not have been pretty but only the Blackburn game was a bad loss and I think we'll get up to the speed of the division OK and win enough to avoid the trap door.

After this season, obviously revew it again. On the best timeline, the time to move on from Warne is we're mid table and he's "taken us as far as he can" and all the other timelines have the usual things fall apart and it's time to get rid that happens most of the time in football anyway.

2 hours ago, BuckoBeast said:

When we appointed Warne it was because he was hailed as a promotion from LG 1 manager. I get that. He’s achieved it. Now, I understand we’re still under financial constraints etc however, with his style of play how long do we stick with him. I’m not a Paul Warne out fan as it stands. I’m just thinking he will never change his style. We’re not ever going to be an attacking possession based side under him. No matter how much time we give him that (IMO) will never change. I absolutely loved the Mclaren days of Martin Ward Russell etc. Let’s say we survive in the championship this season. What is the plan for the following season. Where and when is the progression. Our fans want to see good football. What’s our perspective and plan for say the next few seasons if we become an established championship side. Could you see PW leading us into the premier league. I’m not a PW hater, he has his strengths as does every other manager, but I don’t think a possession based attacking side we are going to be under him

Tedious, boring, monotonous 

And that's just the good parts

Clowes isn’t going to sack him till January at the very earliest, and even if we’re struggling I’m still not sure he is, so just got to get behind the team and support.

Long term no one wants to park the bus, but we are where we are; we’ll get more synchronised going forward as these players play together more, and hopefully a few new ones, and we’ll attempt to go toe to toe with the lesser fancied teams instead of sitting in.

I didn’t go today but I ‘get’ the approach and am weirdly a bit heartened after shipping goals for fun in pre season and coming up against a free scoring team today. Also reckon Blackburn will do better than most expect. I think by late October we’ll have a better idea of the lay of the land and hope we’d have taken it to a few of the teams we have in that run (and won please).

Warne will never exceed expectations. He is very good at matching expectations, as shown by his four promotions and three relegations.

Give him a squad expected to get promoted, and I’d back him to get us promoted.

But that’s almost impossible at Championship level as our budget isn’t in the top 3 in this league.

If our squad is better than the bottom three, then we won’t go down with Warne in charge.

But I currently don’t see 3 weaker squads than ours right now.

He needs help.

If we go with what we have, our only other alternative is to gamble on replacing Warne with somebody who can achieve more than just meeting expectation.

Ok, so we've got another Paul Warne thread and I'm tanked up on Wireworks whiskey (good derbyshire lad me) so here goes.

History repeats itself, patterns emerge.

Lets look at Clough Jr v Mclaren, Clough, not exciting made some good signings of players based off of character but once we stabilised from a precarious position as a club appeared to have taken us as far as he could take us. Steve Mac arrived, and from that second half against Ipswich was awesome, but that financial commitment went up and up, we chased with the irony being two of the strongest players in that chase (Bryson and Martin) being Clough signings. A chase and gamble which at the start of each season found us spending more but in exactly the same place that Clough had us, the Championship. This gamble got greater and greater as we put more more and more on in order to reach that final goal and then our last roll of the dice v Villa came up short and we were doomed, very nearly literally.

Is Warne, Clough? We are being financially prudent, but not exciting not the Derby of TBE or Clough snr or Cox or SMc.  Will there be a point were we say he has taken us as far as he can and if we want to go up it's time to gamble? Only one man truly knows when we are in a position to do that without staring the abyss in the face again, David Clowes. Until that moment we need to rebuild and be stable and if we get 4 years of frustrating but slow growth we may need to make our peace with that. I wouldn't wish us three years ago on anyone.

Well apart from Middlesborough, Wycombe, Birmingham, Leeds, Forest ...

1 hour ago, Waldo57 said:

We are not slagging the club off but just want to just see us put in a performance with quick precise exciting football, win loose or draw.
I believe PW limit is League 1 playing safe football with the Championship a step to far, no clout in the transfer and loan market to bring in quality players.

I possibly speak for all Derby County fans and are grateful to him for getting us out of League 1, but the football has to be different if we want to stay in the Championship.

We have again started the new season like last, with no quality centre-forward who is able to hold the ball up, and lack of movement from players, were has the old adage in football of Pass and Move gone?

You don’t speak for me at all - you speak for yourself as does everyone on this forum

I think people are missing an obvious point and that is that our first three fixtures were tough ones of which two were away games. 
three points is not a bad return. 
I genuinely would prefer the supporters who cannot “support” to stay away. 
if you expect To be able sign all the players we want and to be constantly pressing for trophies then Derby is not the team for you. 
supporting the Rams gives heart ache and disappointment in spades with the occasional moment of euphoria (we had one a few months ago)

this is what it is to be a Ram. 🐏 f you can’t take it try not to bring everyone else down with you with the constant undermining of the manager. 

Warnes own words a few weeks ago " players are interested in wages and how much time they get off" Time off l do not know but everyone knows that our wage limit is carved in stone and that limits the players who would otherwise jump at the chance to sign.l for one am in favour of the wage cap this club nearly folded because of sloppy cash mis-management it cannot happen again.This.makes it tough to attract some of the mercenary types who would play for florest if the wages were right.Unless a wealthy backer eases some of the burden we are left to search through the also rans or young up and coming kids.

Edited by old tray boy
Error.

2 hours ago, BuckoBeast said:

It’s not about that. Do you think he’s the right man for the medium to long term. When we get some financial clout do you trust him with it 

You're right - we couldn't possibly debate this on the existing Paul Warne thread, because.... because..... because.....ah, f*** knows!!

Is there a manager out there who is realistically available who could get more out of this group of players? We are a cobbled together team of League One players thanks to actions of those who put us into administration. 

Edited by desirelines
Grammar

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Warne will never exceed expectations. He is very good at matching expectations, as shown by his four promotions and three relegations.

Give him a squad expected to get promoted, and I’d back him to get us promoted.

But that’s almost impossible at Championship level as our budget isn’t in the top 3 in this league.

If our squad is better than the bottom three, then we won’t go down with Warne in charge.

But I currently don’t see 3 weaker squads than ours right now.

He needs help.

If we go with what we have, our only other alternative is to gamble on replacing Warne with somebody who can achieve more than just meeting expectation.

I could be wrong, but don’t think Rotherham were ever fancied in their promotions. There were always teams with double his Rotherham budget, sure he probably had above average in terms of what he could offer in terms of the division, but still deserves credit for achieving on all three occasions. It’s not like they’ve been on a flyer since he left, dropped down the league like a stone, then cemented themselves as one of the worst championship teams in recent history and now find themselves in the bottom four of League One. 

The accounts show the stark reality of what being in the Championship with Rotherham would’ve been like. The context is huge. 

He’s in a very different situation now, probably not as good as he would like, but we can be competitive against the teams at the bottom end of this season. The target is to remain a Championship club - if he achieves it then he will almost certainly be Derby’s manager going into next season, if he doesn’t then it’s very unlikely he keeps his job.

A decision won’t be made unless we’re cut away, like Wednesday were last season. I think we all know that. 

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

I could be wrong, but don’t think Rotherham were ever fancied in their promotions. There were always teams with double his Rotherham budget, sure he probably had above average in terms of what he could offer in terms of the division, but still deserves credit for achieving on all three occasions. It’s not like they’ve been on a flyer since he left, dropped down the league like a stone, then cemented themselves as one of the worst championship teams in recent history and now find themselves in the bottom four of League One. 

The accounts show the stark reality of what being in the Championship with Rotherham would’ve been like. The context is huge. 

He’s in a very different situation now, probably not as good as he would like, but we can be competitive against the teams at the bottom end of this season. The target is to remain a Championship club - if he achieves it then he will almost certainly be Derby’s manager going into next season, if he doesn’t then it’s very unlikely he keeps his job.

A decision won’t be made unless we’re cut away, like Wednesday were last season. I think we all know that. 

I’d keep him if we look like we’re going down. He’s a sure-fire bet to get us back up again.

Bizarrely I’d rather we sack him if we are a couple of points adrift in February/March and it looks like he is underperforming, and keep him if we’re eight or nine points adrift and poised for relegation and it looks like the squad just isn’t good enough.

I’d only want to sack him if he is genuinely underperforming.

7 hours ago, BuckoBeast said:

What point 

The point he’s making is you thinly disguise the thread with the topic title and first post then go on to show it’s just a Warne out thread with your following posts clearly from a warne out poster , that’s all well and good but just stick it up as Warne out thread , 3 games in 😂