Vs Middlesbrough (H) Match Thread

DCFC1388

Phenomenal effort from all involved to get the win today, those really are 3 absolutely massive points - getting that first win of the season is absolutely vital for confidence when you’re a newly promoted side. Everyone at the club needed that after how the summer has gone so far.

Did we deserve to win? Probably not on paper. But for sheer work rate and battle to see the game out, I think we did. Our defending was outstanding - to a man everyone did their jobs and remained resolute. Against teams like Middlesbrough, who have significantly greater funds than us, that sort of shithousing performance is exactly what we need. Well done to Paul Warne, he got it spot on today.

Special mention to the entire midfield, who I thought were all excellent. We’ve really strengthened that area from being our weakest last season to now being our strongest.

Not sure my body can take too many games that are that stressful, but I think we may be in for a few more! Hopefully we can show more control and attacking threat against teams who don’t have the resources and quality Middlesbrough have, but I have to say I feel a lot more confident about our chances this season having seen that performance. We were much less naive than we were against Blackburn, and much more cute tactically. Fantastic atmosphere too. Well done all!

Edited by Millenniumram

1 hour ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

I’ll whisper this quietly because you never know who’s listening!

………………………..I thought Bradley played well. 👍🏁

Almost as if being in a wrestling match every week in L1 brought his level down? I thought he did a very good job today, in what was a game where strong defence was required. Ditto Elder in the 2nd half, didn’t give their right winger much of a sniff. Thought Osborn was quietly excellent.

45 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I think you have to pick JWZ. 

I agree but only because we have clearly brought JWZ in to be our number one keeper. From what I can remember, Vickers did absolutely nothing wrong today (well, except too many of his kicks went straight into touch but, we can forgive him for that today).

Just now, Millenniumram said:

Phenomenal effort from all involved to get the win today, those really are 3 absolutely massive points - getting that first win of the season is absolutely vital for confidence when you’re a newly promoted side. Everyone at the club needed that after how the summer has gone so far.

Did we deserve to win? Probably not on paper. But for sheer work rate and battle to see the game out, I think we did. Our defending was outstanding - to a man everyone did their jobs and remained resolute. Against teams like Middlesbrough, who have significantly greater funds than us, that sort of shithousing performance is exactly what we need. Well done to Paul Warne, he got it spot on today.

Special mention to the entire midfield, who I thought were all excellent. We’ve really strengthened that area from being our weakest last season to now being our strongest.

Not sure my body can take too many games that are that stressful, but I think we may be in for a few more! Hopefully we can show more control and attacking threat against teams who don’t have the resources and quality Middlesbrough have, but I have to say I feel a lot more confident about our chances this season having seen that performance. We were much less naive than we were against Blackburn, and much more cute tactically. Fantastic atmosphere too. Well done all!

Faint Fainting GIF by Sesame Street

56 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Question is, do we drop Vickers for the next match?

Nope. Performance today merits him retaining the shirt. It’s Jacob’s to win, just like every other of PW’s players. The only way I can see it is if the knock he took to his back keeps him out, but the fact he completed 90 mins despite it suggests he will be ok for next week!

A great win against a team I cannot stand.

I can’t even pick out individual performances as I thought everybody did their bit very well. Ozoh does look like an absolute beast though and he’s only played 2 games at this level so will only get better.

Obviously Middlesbrough were the better team  and played good stuff going forward but I can’t help thinking they’ll struggle this season if they’re relying on that defence.

59 minutes ago, ipad1977 said:

Boro fan here, I thought your lot played exactly as they needed too tbh and stuck to gameplay well. 

You got a bit lucky with Jones' moment of madness, but other than that you came to stick 11 men behind the ball and hopefully get a break and that's what happened.

Some of your fans are saying you need to be more attacking; against the Plymouths and such of this league I would agree, but against most of the top half teams I'd say that's the ideal way to play as you did today, every side in this league has a mistake in them as today showed and if you capitalise like you did today first you can brick wall and time waste your way to 3 points in trickier circumstances?

You can view this as going one of two ways.

Looking at it practically it's the way to stay up in the champo and you've done yourselves no disservice here. It's a long slog, but every 3 points is a massive shot in the arm as you know. Play like that against the sides faring well this season and put your shooting boots on against Rooney's mob and their ilk and you'll be just fine.

Looking at it omens wise though I'd hope you're not superstitious as that means it's curtains; we ALMOST always get done over twice by all the sides that end up going down so you could be this years Rotherham rather worryingly, who in their points hall from both matches against us beat us 1-nil with a deflected goal that was their only shot in the face of 75% possession, 25 shots and their keeper having a worldie, it's the Boro way. The likes of Leicester and Southampton last tine out on the other hand we wish we could play all season as we hoover up points against them for fun, also the Boro way. It does at least mean you're guaranteed to take something away from your game against us at the Riverside too at least, though on the flipside we'll get beat off all the teams around you too so you'll need to.

Maybe have to save your party for another year, eh?

44 minutes ago, EulogyForEvolution said:

I thought Goudmijn and Ozoh were excellent today. 

Goudmijn almost goes under the radar, but he can really pick out a pass and I was surprised when he came off. His pressing was better than Osborn's in the second half.

The Ozoh-Kenzo-Jackson triumvirate showed some good promise today. Will only get better with more game time together. You could also see that NML was much happier in his natural role out wide from the off today.

Excellent battling 3 points against a very good side who I expect to finish in the top 4 yes sure they missed a few chances the rest were blocked or were straightforward saves. Lots more positives than against Blackburn as our midfield looked better in its shape with Osborn picking up a lot of loose balls. Yes we still need a centre forward who has more to offer than Collins who batted away manfully.

i  thought Bradley had his best game for us once he replaced the unfortunate Cashin because he just needed to head and kick the ball away rather than think about passing it ! 

14 minutes ago, DiggerB said:

Nope. Performance today merits him retaining the shirt. It’s Jacob’s to win, just like every other of PW’s players. The only way I can see it is if the knock he took to his back keeps him out, but the fact he completed 90 mins despite it suggests he will be ok for next week!

Agree. He keeps the shirt.

26 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Yes our defending was outstanding, and don't overlook the fact we had to sub two of our defence off due to injuries early doors. 

Have to say that did worry me, but as you say we coped admirably in the face of adversity........hope Gibson enjoyed his visit 

1 minute ago, Wignall12 said:

Yes our defending was outstanding, and don't overlook the fact we had to sub two of our defence off due to injuries early doors. 

Have to say that did worry me, but as you say we coped admirably in the face of adversity........hope Gibson enjoyed his visit 

Indeed, that definitely could have really disrupted us. I didn’t think we had any chance of keeping a clean sheet, but we showed real character to hang in there.

I just hope Cashin is okay. We can’t be having Bradley starting many games this reason, much as he did decent today.

Just now, Millenniumram said:

Indeed, that definitely could have really disrupted us. I didn’t think we had any chance of keeping a clean sheet, but we showed real character to hang in there.

I just hope Cashin is okay. We can’t be having Bradley starting many games this reason, much as he did decent today.

I genuinely don't have concerns about Bradley starting games. He's been really solid for us more recently, and outside a few poor months in a brand new team hasn't really put much of a foot wrong. He proved today he's a decent Championship defender. 

7 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I still maintain that we will be the worst team ever promoted to the Premier League next May. 

Paul Warne has this amazing ability to fluke victory after victory. It's almost like he knows what he is doing

You Bro New York Jets GIF by Nickelodeon at Super Bowl