Gareth Southgate Resigns as England Manager

Wolfie

as much as we have to respect the dignity he bought back into our international team, I cannot help but feel we didn't do as well as we could. Sitting back and allowing teams to attack us was a flawed tactic and ultimately cost us glory. We need someone who can make the most of the talent we have

5 minutes ago, scout's dad said:

Premier League Football GIF by Liverpool FC

Incoming?

Klopp is too committed to building a side to be interested. International manager requires a few key skills that are not needed at club level, and visa versa. Southgate had some of those, such as being able to manage the media and bring a team together quickly, building trust in all. He lacked some tactical nous but he also had done it as a player at this level so could talk with confidence about what the players were going through. Most successful international managers have this - Klopp doesn't.

I know I'll get pelters for this but I'd actually have either Rooney or Lampard in the role. I know neither has the greatest tactical ability but that's why you have assistants (Carsley?) and they know the media, they know the territory, they will inspire and lead.

One of Southgate's problems was that he didn't let his squads play to their strengths. You need less imposing of a system at international level - learn from the Dutch, Argentinians and Brazilians and just let the talent shine through.

I know, many of you will think I am an idiot but that's the burden geniuses (or maybe genii) like me have to carry. It is our blessing and our curse. 

Southgate did well, But not well enough, I never really took to him, I guess it was his persona through the media, There wasn't a spark that would ignite, He saw off most of the middle to smaller Nations, But when the push came the shove...the spark faded.

Stories are now coming out that things were said in the dressing room at HT and things needed to change on the field

https://metro.co.uk/2024/07/15/moment-england-star-lost-it-gareth-southgate-euro-2024-final-21231967/

We the England supporters demand success but only one Nation can win the World Cup Final/EU Final, We see an array of young English talent week in week out in the EPL and those on foreign shores, But being overly cautious or trying to fit an E-Type engine into moggy 1000 takes technical knowhow...I don't think Southgate had it.

Over to you...The FA, Either Potter or Klopp for me, I have Saxon blood so I can accept a German 😁  

10 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

Over to you...The FA, Either Potter or Klopp for me, I have Saxon blood so I can accept a German 😁  

And there-in lies the real problem...

1 minute ago, BaaLocks said:

Klopp is too committed to building a side to be interested. International manager requires a few key skills that are not needed at club level, and visa versa. Southgate had some of those, such as being able to manage the media and bring a team together quickly, building trust in all. He lacked some tactical nous but he also had done it as a player at this level so could talk with confidence about what the players were going through. Most successful international managers have this - Klopp doesn't.

I know I'll get pelters for this but I'd actually have either Rooney or Lampard in the role. I know neither has the greatest tactical ability but that's why you have assistants (Carsley?) and they know the media, they know the territory, they will inspire and lead.

One of Southgate's problems was that he didn't let his squads play to their strengths. You need less imposing of a system at international level - learn from the Dutch, Argentinians and Brazilians and just let the talent shine through.

I know, many of you will think I am an idiot but that's the burden geniuses (or maybe genii) like me have to carry. It is our blessing and our curse.

I agree I think Klopp is a manager that thrives off the day to day management of his players and through that gets the best out of them. The sparseness of the international football calendar may seem off-putting to him. I personally think he's given all he could out of management with Liverpool and he's probably done with it.

For me it probably has to be Carsley for the Job because we can steadily build a good system towards the next euros with manager who has worked with the new crop of players. The next world cup is a mess with the 48 team format in America where the matches are going to be ridiculously hot and humid it can be a good experiment tactically to build on for our home tournament. 

Southgate has built a fantastic structure that doesn't need much changing to it.

Going full kamikaze on it would be ridiculous.

Best decision for everyone. 

In a few years GS will no doubt get the respect he deserves and England get a fresh start, fresh ideas to see if we can build on the good GS has done. 

Interesting times ahead.

23 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

And there-in lies the real problem...

Back in the dark ages the FA consisted of all the regional heads of FA councils...watch Mike Basset the film 😁old men on a jolly.

Today I do not know, Who, Why or how they go and pick the next England manager, G Neville yesterday said and I quote "he'll be here for the next 2 Internationals" well there's a shock...he was wrong.

Sept 7th is our next game, I hope we have a new manager by then and not someone who'll fill in for a couple of games, Potter and Klopp are not contracted to anyone so talks would be pretty straight forward and no compensation to pay, Both ex EPL managers so would know who the players are.

I worry that, as much as we might get a better manager, we might also lose some of the good things that Southgate brought to the table. The culture he developed was a great asset, and he was involved in every part of England FC. Would a Klopp get involved with the day to day running of st. Georges park, or would they just turn up when it’s game time?

But ultimately, I feel like it’s when you get a manager that does a great job of getting you through the leagues, from league 1 to the prem, and they are undoubtedly a club legend, already being measured up for a statue, but if you want to go to the next level, and your sat in mid table, thinking about European football, you might give them a shot in one season, but you’ll know it’s time to upgrade before you lose the momentum and end up as a mid table team forever. Thanks for memories, and all that, but we’ve out grown you.