Dirty Derby…??

Which Derby team, under which manager with which players do you think was the most dirty Derby team of all time?

When were we at our most Millwall?

Forget flair and attacking finesse. When did we lead the way with eye gouges, red cards and leg breaking tackles?

Genuine question. As I don’t really know.

We've all seen Franny Lee in a punch up, Robbie Savage rile up the opposition and Sonny Bradley get a red.

But when was the last season when the Rams were more feared for our agricultural oafs than our tiki-taka..?

thanks in advance.

17 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Don't think that's ever happened. We've had the odd player.....eg Robbie Savage with his ankle taps.....but a whole team of hard nuts? Not in my lifetime.....

And please let it never happen. 

I didn't like the approach under wee Billy. Mind, there was a lot about him that I didn't like. 

Of the current crop, I like Wildsmith as a goalie but I don't like his gamesmanship.

Yeah, yeah win at all costs, blah, blah, blah.

Respect the game. 

Martin Kuhl could be considered a bit of a thug I suppose. But we’ve never had a team of them and I’m struggling to think of any in recent years.

You can pick individuals from different teams/eras, but I bet you’d struggle to name more than 3 in any side.

28 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Martin Kuhl could be considered a bit of a thug I suppose. But we’ve never had a team of them and I’m struggling to think of any in recent years.

You can pick individuals from different teams/eras, but I bet you’d struggle to name more than 3 in any side.

Bloke spent more time in The Blue Pool pub than playing.  Useless.

image.png.dbe3b994e984fb820f04d12d14e85cd6.png

This fella would never shirk a challenge in either of his spells. Definitely had a feisty streak but I wouldn't say a thug.

Same with Adam Bolder too.

But as has been said, we've never had a whole team of hard men and our lack of them at certain had probably been a detrement. It's never been our main tactic, even under Billy when we had a solid core that could mix it (Moore, Johnson, Howard) they were balanced out with some very decent footballers (Leacock, Jones, Lupoli)

I once saw Colin Todd and Steve Powell nearly snap poor Kevin Beattie in two.

Steve was a tough player. During a game at Anfield, after he'd crunched Tommy Smith, Smith reputedly said to him "you always were a dirty b**t**d Powell". Steve was 18 at the time!

2 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I once saw Colin Todd and Steve Powell nearly snap poor Kevin Beattie in two.

Steve was a tough player. During a game at Anfield, after he'd crunched Tommy Smith, Smith reputedly said to him "you always were a dirty b**t**d Powell". Steve was 18 at the time!

Wasn't that when he was 16? 50/50 ball and he left Smith on the floor wondering what the hell had just hit him?

16 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Wasn't that when he was 16? 50/50 ball and he left Smith on the floor wondering what the hell had just hit him?

Maybe - that would have been the Championship decider at the Baseball Ground in May 1972, but I thought the quote I'd read (in an old football annual or DCFC book, I can't recall which) said it was during a game at Anfield the following season or the season after that. If I can find the actual quote, I'll let you know.

All successful sides can all look after themselves or they wouldn’t win anything our most successful period was probably between 1968 and 1976 those teams contained Mckay,Carlin,Mcfarland,Todd,Powell,Rioch,Newton,Gemmill,O’Hare,Lee and George most of these players were exceptionally skill full but could look after themselves the only one I’d say that was dirty was Rioch I’m a bit to young to remember Carlin playing for Derby, my first season watching the rams was 71/72 not a bad season to start

9 minutes ago, Henrycav81 said:

All successful sides can all look after themselves or they wouldn’t win anything our most successful period was probably between 1968 and 1976 those teams contained Mckay,Carlin,Mcfarland,Todd,Powell,Rioch,Newton,Gemmill,O’Hare,Lee and George most of these players were exceptionally skill full but could look after themselves the only one I’d say that was dirty was Rioch I’m a bit to young to remember Carlin playing for Derby, my first season watching the rams was 71/72 not a bad season to start

Rioch was the enforcer in that 70s team. As soon as one of our less physical players received a heavy challenge, you knew that Rioch would exact revenge on his behalf. 

Football was almost a different sport in those days, when compared to what we watch now.