Dirty Derby…??

When I was a child I used to think that if a goalkeeper got a clean sheet then it meant they didn’t get their shirt dirty in the game & therefore didn’t have to wash it.

Oh, not that kind of dirty?

We've had sides that were perhaps not the most talented or subtle and were quite physical, like the Davies promotion side, but I don't think I've ever thought of any Derby side that I watched as being outright dirty. That could just be the Rams-tinted glasses I suppose, but we never seem to have been a particularly 'nasty'.

1 hour ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

The late Mickey Lewis could dish it out. 

As @Van der MoodHoover has indicated above, McMahon felt that he was supreme in dishing it out. 
He tried in on at the BBG once too often, when Mickey Lewis decided enough was enough. Timing his tackle fairly, McMahon was still on the floor as Mickey nonchalantly walked away. Strangely McMahon was anonymous for the remainder of the game…..!

Glyn Davies and Frank Upton could also look after themselves- ask the Wendies, January 1959 away.

Geraint Williams also sorted Mel Sterland out when he tried it on at Hillsborough, similar to McMahon.

2 hours ago, Crewton said:

Maybe - that would have been the Championship decider at the Baseball Ground in May 1972, but I thought the quote I'd read (in an old football annual or DCFC book, I can't recall which) said it was during a game at Anfield the following season or the season after that. If I can find the actual quote, I'll let you know.

1972, that's the one. Smith said he'd never been hit that hard,

One performance of utter lunacy stands out, and that was Bruce Rioch scything through the entire Southend team in the cup at the BBG in 1975 and, unbelievably, not getting sent off.

But as others have said, we've never had a dirty team, per se.

In terms of hard men, I doubt any would top Dave Mackay.

14 hours ago, Stripperg-ram said:

Which Derby team, under which manager with which players do you think was the most dirty Derby team of all time?

Probably one of the teams that played at the Baseball Ground. White shirts mixed with that pitch is going to leave the kits looking rather dirty.

1 hour ago, Dordogne-Ram said:

As @Van der MoodHoover has indicated above, McMahon felt that he was supreme in dishing it out. 
He tried in on at the BBG once too often, when Mickey Lewis decided enough was enough. Timing his tackle fairly, McMahon was still on the floor as Mickey nonchalantly walked away. Strangely McMahon was anonymous for the remainder of the game…..!

Glyn Davies and Frank Upton could also look after themselves- ask the Wendies, January 1959 away.

Geraint Williams also sorted Mel Sterland out when he tried it on at Hillsborough, similar to McMahon.

I remember him doing McMahon a couple of times in one game and Liverpool took him off and sent Molby on, who was clattered within a couple of minutes and I'm pretty sure Lewis laughed at him. 

There’s dirty. Then there is robust, combative and gutsy

I can’t remember any Derby player being serially dirty and that pleases me hugely 

Sir Jake never shirked and put himself about, Same with Curtis, Bradly is hard as nails as is Adams. Genuinely strong players can be enjoyable to watch. More recently, further up the pitch I remember a game where Cameron Jerome bullied 2CH’s in to submission. It was an masterclass, and then, which match was it that  Festy charged through midfield leaving dead and dieing players in his wake. ? Love that sort of thing but not the cynical. 

FWIW, the list of players that loved to "let the opposition know they were there" that spring to mind down the years....

Dave Mackey

Steve Powell 

Bruce rioch

Kenny Burns

Dave Webb

Dave Watson 

Kuhl

George Williams 

Mickey Lewis

Robbie vdl 

Daryl Powell (is a football genius)

Seth lad

Bradley Johnson 

Jamie Hanson 

Not cloggers, but liked a tackle.

We've never been on the same scale as a Tony pulis team of ogres.....

3 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

One performance of utter lunacy stands out, and that was Bruce Rioch scything through the entire Southend team in the cup at the BBG in 1975 and, unbelievably, not getting sent off.

But as others have said, we've never had a dirty team, per se.

In terms of hard men, I doubt any would top Dave Mackay.

He was hard, and came back from 2 broken legs at spurs i think.

9 minutes ago, TINMANTED said:

one of my favorite memories as a ram

image.png.6770654e81adce038dee9b57c1e5eef8.png

Mine too, billy thought he was hard, but dave soon showed him who was boss, but this picture could have been when he was at spurs, but not quite sure of that.

2 hours ago, Kathcairns said:

Mine too, billy thought he was hard, but dave soon showed him who was boss, but this picture could have been when he was at spurs, but not quite sure of that.

It was definitely way before he was at Derby, if you see the full picture, Terry Venable is on it. I have heard that Mackay reacted like that because Bremner went in hard and it was DMs first game back after a nasty injury.

ximage.png.356522281f79315e969024ad5419ac54.png

2 hours ago, TINMANTED said:

one of my favorite memories as a ram

image.png.6770654e81adce038dee9b57c1e5eef8.png

Weird how we have memories of stuff that never happened. That was well before he came to Derby,

And I'm not taking the p*** because it's been proven how easy it is for all of us to construct false memories of events afterwards from things like photos.

17 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Weird how we have memories of stuff that never happened. That was well before he came to Derby,

And I'm not taking the p*** because it's been proven how easy it is for all of us to construct false memories of events afterwards from things like photos.

Did see a study once where it seems every time you recall a memory you add a second or two from another memory, or add something from someone else's memory of the event if they recall it.  After 30 years it's probably 50% accurate.