Games That Aren't Talked About Enough

7 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

I remember that well. I was at the front and when Phil scored. I lept in the air and 10000 fans all pushed forward.  I didn't hit the ground for about a minute. Squashed against the railings in front. Happy days 

It was a great moment. Just after we had heard that Portsmouth were losing as well. 

Scoring goals for Derby, Phillip Gee, Phillip Gee …

12 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

As a cricket-detester, I recall the rush back to catch the end of the cricket in the Derby pubs.

I don't recall the score, it being Archie's last game, or any flying seats.

I was settling down with a young family by '84, and not a regular match-goer, so that NatWest day was almost certainly '81.  🤷‍♂️

It was and I was at Lords not Shrewsbury but I do remember Derbyshire won and the Rams lost ( 3-0 I think) 

11 minutes ago, angieram said:

All the fainthearted went home! 

Those of us that stayed were rewarded with a great moment. 

We stayed over at the hotel at the ground, when we were losing and waiting for the lights to come back on I was thinking this could be a miserable couple of days, all that quickly changed though. 
I did have to keep my head down in Delia’s restaurant that night though 😂

Niche one from me...

Our 5-1 home win against Blackpool in the Mac1 season.

They took the lead very early on in a first half that we utterly dominated. I remember being supremely confident of turning it around in the second half - it wasn't even a possibility in my mind that we weren't winning that game.

Came out second half all guns blazing, Martin hat-trick, couple of red cards for them, and an easy three points in the end.

11 hours ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Derbyshire beat Northants that day to win the NatWest trophy. I remember watching the climax on tv after getting back from Shrewsbury. Not entirely sure how but I definitely remember doing that.

I was at Lords that day. Drank far to much Red Stripe, and spent ages taking the piss out of Geoff Boycott, who was wearing a jacket that looked like his mother had made it from deckchair material.

Including just live games I have seen Leeds away in playoff semi 2nd leg without a doubt. How we came back and the Marriott winner.

Special mention to a league game. WBA were riding high and we stuffed then 4-1 at their place in same season. I expected the reverse!

Derby 3 - Yeovil 2 2014

2-0 down at half time and the concourses were so relaxed about it. We just all seemed to know we would come back to win. I'd never been more convinced of a promotion in my life. Bloody Zamora.

All of the 1884 Group display games too. Incredible feeling to see the visual impact of what we did. I imagine the people behind Popside Fanatics experienced the same feeling on Saturday. They're doing a brilliant job.

The one that has always stuck with me was us sticking 6 past Tranmere at the BBG in 96. They'd beat us 5-1 away where Igor had got his first goal for us (was that his debut?) and my dad had warned me about John Aldridge and Pat Nevin. Then Paul Simpson and his magic left boot made them pay. The 6th goal was lovely football with Sturridge making the defender look foolish. 9 year old me, playing fullback for my school team, thought Chris Powell was the best player on earth.

1 hour ago, TimRam said:

Including just live games I have seen Leeds away in playoff semi 2nd leg without a doubt. How we came back and the Marriott winner.

Special mention to a league game. WBA were riding high and we stuffed then 4-1 at their place in same season. I expected the reverse!

Not having Leeds away, goes against the point of the thread!

But WBA is a great shout. Genuinely one of the best performances I’ve ever seen us put in. Thought we were going to walk the league after that.

6 hours ago, Wistaston Ram said:

Winning 3.1 at Spurs (Ted McMinn double), 2.1 at Villa (Goddard & Saunders) and 2.1 at Man Utd (Goddard & Saunders) all in the late 80s.  Also fond memories of beating Newcastle 3.2 at home when we were 2.0 down at HT against Keegan et al.

I was at the Spurs game and Man Utd game. The Man Utd game was the day of the Hillsborough disaster and I remember the Utd fans singing about dead scousers. I'll never forget that day. Horrific. 

15 hours ago, MaltRam said:

The new main stand that nearly bankrupted them set back about 30 yards from the pitch, the rest of the stadium crumbling. I've never been so cold in my life. I thought I was going to lose my toes.

I remember there was a street between the new stand being built and the actual ground.  80s sometimes I think?

13 hours ago, Eddie said:

Newcastle 0 Derby County 1, 13 September 1969.

Roy McFarland scored the winner to shut up the Geordies around us yelling about Jimmy Smith.

The significance of the game was that, for the first time in my lifetime, Derby County went top of Division 1 that day.

The following week, we thrashed Tottenham 5-0 at Derby in front of the biggest crowd ever at the Baseball Ground. Everyone of a certain age remembers that game, but the Newcastle one sticks in my mind just as much.

I was at that one too! First time in the North East. I had no idea then that I would spend most of my adult life in the region. Not the friendliest of welcomes and even the spraying of the presumed Chemistry Lab sulphuric acid over the fence didn’t put me off😎

As you say, top of the League after the game. Kept fairly quiet until back on the Ramaway😄