Games That Aren't Talked About Enough

Of games that haven't been mentioned yet, I'll mention two : a 4-0 away win at a crumbling Molyneux just after Christmas 1985, when the team really clicked and warmed up a freezing cold afternoon in Cox's Division 3 promotion season; and the 2-1 win at Highbury the season Arsenal won the double and we completed the double over them - a beautiful day and we celebrated the night away in Covent Garden.

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I genuinely look back on that day really fondly. Was only 17 with the face of a 10 year old, but managed to get beers in the pub all day.

That was when I started properly going on away days and I started doing drunken match reports🤣

I'll never forgot the 'you only sing when your fishing' chant, along with some other memorable chants.

Also the groundsmen putting the least amount of effort possible to drain the pitch because Grimsby were 1-0 down.

Me, my dad and brother still talk about it to this day. Worth the ticket money even though it was all for nothing. Had to get a refund from if i remember correctly, couldn't get to the rescheduled game.

Also enjoyed Norwich Away, the Lampard year, when the floodlights went out. I think we were losing when the lights went out, then managed to win the game 4-3.

Edited by SouthDerbysRam

44 minutes ago, Poynton ram said:

3.0 at PP v Arsenal, goals from Wanchope x2 and a deft chip from Sturridge, the Old Trafford win when Christie scored with his left foot, the win at Norwich under Lampard, the win at Everton when Duncan Ferguson was sent off for elbowing Wanchope, any game v Leeds

Loved the fact the DET pull out had a picture of Seaman on the front swearing at the jeering he was getting from the pride park faithful, with “No David, it was 3” as the headline 🤣

Edited by Red_ram

12 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Of games that haven't been mentioned yet, I'll mention two : a 4-0 away win at a crumbling Molyneux just after Christmas 1985, when the team really clicked and warmed up a freezing cold afternoon in Cox's Division 3 promotion season; and the 2-1 win at Highbury the season Arsenal won the double and we completed the double over them - a beautiful day and we celebrated the night away in Covent Garden.

I was at that Wolves game. It was blummin freezing. We had a crumbling terrace behind the goal and 2 whole sides of the ground were derelict. The most knackered ground I’ve been to. 

40 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Of games that haven't been mentioned yet, I'll mention two : a 4-0 away win at a crumbling Molyneux just after Christmas 1985, when the team really clicked and warmed up a freezing cold afternoon in Cox's Division 3 promotion season; 

The new main stand that nearly bankrupted them set back about 30 yards from the pitch, the rest of the stadium crumbling. I've never been so cold in my life. I thought I was going to lose my toes.

40 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I well remember the Wolves match. The pitch was bone hard and we were sat so far away from the play - it was before they built a new stand.

October 21 1961.  Derby 2 Liverpool 0.   Mick Hopkinson from 60 yards !! (well it seemed like it from the 'boys' enclosure !!) and Bill Curry. 27000+ at the BBG. Ron Yeats putting Bill Curry into the railings in frustration.

September 24th 1966.  Derby 4 Huddersfield 3  Kevin Hectors home debut. Boy was that some debut !! Despite having 4 opposition trying to mark him he still managed to score and created the space for Durban to score 3. Little did we know then what the next 10 years would hold !!

November 1st 1969.  Derby 4 Liverpool 0. Can still see Hector and O'Hare bearing down on Lawrence in goal at the Ossie End for the fourth goal. 40993 at the BBG.

January 23rd 1971.  Derby 2 Wolves 1.  FA Cup 4th round. 40000+ at the BBG. 6" of mud and John O'Hare chesting in, in the 90th minute !!

Need I go on. Oh those memories.

49 minutes ago, SouthDerbysRam said:

Also enjoyed Norwich Away, the Lampard year, when the floodlights went out. I think we were losing when the lights went out, then managed to win the game 4-3.

This one hurts. Tried so hard to get my mates to go but none of them fancied it. Needless to say they received an angry message when the winner went in.

40 minutes ago, MaltRam said:

The new main stand that nearly bankrupted them set back about 30 yards from the pitch, the rest of the stadium crumbling. I've never been so cold in my life. I thought I was going to lose my toes.

If I recall correctly, there was no disruption to the stadium as they built the new stand literally over the other side of the road during the season, then demolished the old one in the summer!  They could have probably rotated the pitch 90 degrees after they'd done!    🤣 

The Sheff Utd, Sheff Weds and Southampton playoff game all standout in my memory, as do Dean Saunders debut 4-2 v Wimbledon (if my memory is correct) and the 2-1 (pick that out of the net Crossley) Forest game. Saunders debut was a revelation and I was in line for his header v Forest…fantastic.

For the Southampton game a bloke I knew and his son, both Southampton fans came across from Birmingham and I persuaded them to walk to the ground with me (only 2 and a bit miles). Turned out he was not that fit and they then had to stand in the away end all game…and then walk back drenched and miserable with me handing out platitudes… I did take pity and got my wife to come and pick us up half way….don’t think I’ve heard from him since🙄. Sheff Utd away was incredible so many Derby fans!

Newcastle 0 Derby County 1, 13 September 1969.

Roy McFarland scored the winner to shut up the Geordies around us yelling about Jimmy Smith.

The significance of the game was that, for the first time in my lifetime, Derby County went top of Division 1 that day.

The following week, we thrashed Tottenham 5-0 at Derby in front of the biggest crowd ever at the Baseball Ground. Everyone of a certain age remembers that game, but the Newcastle one sticks in my mind just as much.