Now we're promoted, what are your thoughts on League One ?

My thoughts are that it feels like proper football. I’m becoming increasingly alienated by modern, elite football. I watch it less and less now, and when I do watch it, the enjoyment is sucked out by the way it’s organised and run.

There’s real supporters who support less glamorous clubs because they love them. Not because they win anything or because it’s a tourist attraction. 1700 fans travelled from little Carlisle, just to watch their team that were relegated weeks ago. That’s proper football.

There’s obviously far less money, the facilities are nowhere near as good, the players can’t quite play the same kind of football, but it’s strangely enjoyable.

From scoring two in added time at Port Vale, to Wilson’s header against Bolton, to watching Collins’ penalty at Forest Green from a grass verge outside the ground because the one single turnstile wasn’t working quick enough, it’s been great.

Although saying that, I’m hoping we don’t have to return any time soon!

Edited by Kernow

30 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

I don’t mind what league we are in, I just want Derby to be competitive. I’ve enjoyed league one, but then I don’t like or watch premier league football, I’d rather watch non league 

Hit the nail firmly on the head there.

Obviously I hope we make a real fist of it next season and, one day, make it back to the Premier League. We’re right to have ambition and be celebrating our promotion BUT, where’s the joy in watching your team getting rolled over and losing most weeks even if the quality of football and standard of the officials is better?

I’ve enjoyed the prospect and expectation of picking up points at every away game I’ve been to (although, I’ve only managed to get tickets for 7 away games and we lost 4 of those - Barnsley, Bolton, Shrewsbury and Northampton) and the I’ve quite enjoyed being a relatively big fish in a small pond.

I’ve not enjoyed not being able to get tickets for the way games I’ve fancied (this season was the first I can remember not going to the last away game) and I’ve not always enjoyed the quality of our own football (but a wins a win). Hopefully both of those will change (for the better) next season.

15 minutes ago, Kernow said:

My thoughts are that it feels like proper football. I’m becoming increasingly alienated by modern, elite football. I watch it less and less now, and when I do watch it, the enjoyment is sucked out by the way it’s organised and run.

There’s real supporters who support less glamorous clubs because they love them. Not because they win anything or because it’s a tourist attraction. 1700 fans travelled from little Carlisle, just to watch their team that were relegated weeks ago. That’s proper football.

There’s obviously far less money, the facilities are nowhere near as good, the players can’t quite play the same kind of football, but it’s strangely enjoyable.

From scoring to in added time at Port Vale, to Wilson’s header against Bolton, to watching Collins’ penalty at Forest Green from a grass verge outside the ground because the one single turnstile wasn’t working quick enough, it’s been great.

Although saying that, I’m hoping we don’t have to return any time soon!

Carlisle is not so little. In geographical area it is the largest city in great britain.

Enjoyed it well enough but I'd like us to be back in the Prem - unlike others it seems I do watch Premier League on TV and maybe it's an age thing but but when people say the Championship is back where we belong I always wince. 

Nothing wrong with the football, plenty of teams played the game the right way. Moments of real skill many times throughout the season from most teams that we played. The consistency isn’t there though is it. ? The bad touches, poor control and clumsy defending, just too much of it. The worst bit for me was officialdom. Wrong calls, strutting myopic refs who either get flustered or are so self important it makes you wince. 

The missing element for me was the “spice” of bigger games .. Leeds, Wendies,Birmingham.

. It gets wearing when you know you are the big scalp that smaller clubs really want so they end up playing out of their skins and making you feel terrible if the result goes the wrong way. 

I have enjoyed it but a bit like a chip butty, nice at the time, tasty and filling but it isn’t really a balanced diet. 

9 hours ago, SamUltraRam said:

For me, it's travelling to away matches seeing grounds full of fans who aren't glory hunters, they passionately support their local club who probably have no chance of glory - and loads of younger fans who could easily just choose one of the normal 'big 6' to follow - fair play to them

Also, most, if not all of the towns have been a joy to visit, Cheltenham, Oxford, Carlisle, Lincoln, Shrewsbury etc - loved them all

Going to places like Birmingham & Sheffield again won't seem the same

As for the quality of football, it was lower but of course it was, it's the 3rd division

I enjoyed the new places to visit, some of the grounds not so much! 

1 hour ago, Ewe Ram said:

I don’t mind what league we are in, I just want Derby to be competitive. I’ve enjoyed league one, but then I don’t like or watch premier league football, I’d rather watch non league 

Watching Florest getting beat almost every week has slightly increased my enjoyment and tolerance towards the Premier league. When they go down, I won't be watching.

It was nice being a big fish in a small pond for a bit, but lets be honest League One is absolutely honking and the idea that Derby should have been happy to take it slow and rebuild down there was nonsense. I am delighted that we got out relatively quickly given the circumstances that saw us down there, let's never go back again.

Glad to see the back of it and hope to never return.

I can understand those regular away fans that were able to buy tickets and experience new grounds, was an adventure for you all. 

Not wanting to sound arrogant, a club of this size should not have been playing at these grounds outside of cup competitions and pre season. There is a reason why Derby last season was a big day out for most of the league. 

I'm glad we won't have to play Burton and Mansfield next season, I'm glad we won't have to feature on Welcome to Wrexham and we're back to one promotion away from being back in the top flight.

The Premier League has it's faults, VAR is terrible, we're never going to win the thing and it's all about the big 6, yet Brighton, Brentford, these are clubs we should replicating in some form and on the cusp of breaking into the European spots.

If League 1 was an adventure, imagine taking a couple of days off work midweek to fly out to Prague on the lash and watching Derby. 

I bet Leicester City fans never thought for a second they would achieve what they did.

I'm fully aware we are still miles away from that, our immediate focus has to be Championship survival, then stability before we can think about progressing to the next step of chasing promotion.

But we're closer now than we would have been had we lost on Saturday and Bolton won. 

11 hours ago, Srg said:

There’s more teams than most would imagine that try to play football. Just, in general, they end up being pretty blunt in the final third because the quality of pass, movement or shot is less consistent. 

This was my thoughts and the phrase "footballers cant play in those leagues they get booted" has proven to be a myth. Watched City vs the scum yesterday and Grealish got booted all over the park so that happens in any league team/players depending. 

It's enjoyable enough but god it is also grim playing fleetwood at home on a Saturday in an actual league fixture. This is especially the case when you don't get the win... Really respect fans of smaller clubs who follow them when the odds of success are near 0 and the carlisle fans were class tbf to them. I'm not hungry yet for Premier League football but am glad we can play some bigger teams next year with a bit more spice and hopefully we'll be a competitive outfit! 

The thing I won't miss are the endless series of throw ins, it felt like we only got about 50 mins of play in some games. Also hated the 'breaking up play' tactics with a couple of players going down suddenly when the opposition were under pressure.  The last four home games were a joy though, as Bolton, Blackpool, Orient and Carlisle at least tried to play football. 

On the positive side, I enjoyed going to new grounds, speaking to opposition fans both on the train to away and home games.  There are no teams I really disliked apart from Wycombe maybe. Favourite moments apart from yesterday of course was winning at PV twice (the nearest club to me) Being in the home end at Cheltenham when Birdy scored from 30 yards out and not entirely controlling my emotions, and many friendly welcomes at away games especially Accrington.

Let's not do this again for a while.

Really enjoyed it, I’m glad we aren’t doing another year but been able to tick of many new grounds, saw the other side of football, small grounds but full of real supporters, most with no bar in the away end or a little truck serving food, we were the team everyone wanted to beat which was strange, enjoyed it but enjoyed getting promoted much more 

37 minutes ago, Day said:

Glad to see the back of it and hope to never return.

I can understand those regular away fans that were able to buy tickets and experience new grounds, was an adventure for you all. 

Not wanting to sound arrogant, a club of this size should not have been playing at these grounds outside of cup competitions and pre season. There is a reason why Derby last season was a big day out for most of the league. 

I'm glad we won't have to play Burton and Mansfield next season, I'm glad we won't have to feature on Welcome to Wrexham and we're back to one promotion away from being back in the top flight.

The Premier League has it's faults, VAR is terrible, we're never going to win the thing and it's all about the big 6, yet Brighton, Brentford, these are clubs we should replicating in some form and on the cusp of breaking into the European spots.

If League 1 was an adventure, imagine taking a couple of days off work midweek to fly out to Prague on the lash and watching Derby. 

I bet Leicester City fans never thought for a second they would achieve what they did.

I'm fully aware we are still miles away from that, our immediate focus has to be Championship survival, then stability before we can think about progressing to the next step of chasing promotion.

But we're closer now than we would have been had we lost on Saturday and Bolton won. 

Bang on the money.

As you say the away ends looked jolly good fun, but as i'm not an away follower i only ever found being in League 1 as some inconvenience i could do without. 

Sadly as much as i enjoyed Saturday i do feel that my contempt for the league stopped me from going OTT with emotion. Just glad to be back were we at the very least belong. Hopefully in 5 seasons time we can look at seriously pushing for promotion to the PL which i'm sure i would definitely go mad for.

4 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Bang on the money.

As you say the away ends looked jolly good fun, but as i'm not an away follower i only ever found being in League 1 as some inconvenience i could do without. 

Sadly as much as i enjoyed Saturday i do feel that my contempt for the league stopped me from going OTT with emotion. Just glad to be back were we at the very least belong. Hopefully in 5 seasons time we can look at seriously pushing for promotion to the PL which i'm sure i would definitely go mad for.

I don't mean any offence by this, but that just seems such a miserable and sad outlook to have on it. As a football fan of a normal (I'm hesitant to call Derby normal) club who no one in their right mind would glory support, you seldom get anything to ever celebrate. You rarely achieve a thing. If you can't enjoy it, specifically when we have gone through what we have, what's the actual point in it all?

I've actually enjoyed being in league one. We have played teams who are often teams you only hear in the results round up, I've visited The Valley, my first away ground, no bloated, failed premier league squads funded by parachute payments, proper football grounds, proper lower league football.

Mostly 3pm saturday kick offs too. Whats not to like?

Full marks to the teams, and supporters in the lower leagues. Great respect for them.

We have clawed our way out and time to move on, with lessons learned on and off the field I hope.

My big worry is that the championship is still the arena of lost dreams and massive overspending, with dreams often not fulfilled.