Match Thread: vs Portsmouth (a)

19 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Wycombe next, just 3 days after their Cup Final against Peterborough. There will be a few tired legs on the pitch.

Then Leyton Orient who have won just 1 in 6 and ate now pretty much out of the Playoff race.

A tricky away game vs Cambridge fighting for survival, but should be safe by the time we play them. They've won their last 2, but went 7 without a win before that.

Finishing off against soon to be relegated Carlisle, managed by someone who would surely give us a helping hand if we needed it

8 more points seals it for me. 2 wins and 2 draws.

I think we beat Wycombe and Leyton Orient as well FWIW.

Wumming ...

Just in case there's anyone of like me who didn't know, the Urban Dictionary definition of wumming is as follows:

"The verb form of WUM (Wind-Up Merchant), a predominantly online phenomena of espousing contrary viewpoints purely to string people along and get a reaction from others. A mild-mannered form of trolling."

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

when we've just earned a deserved point

In the game I saw we scored 2 goals and created nothing else of note in 90 minutes.

Portsmouth on top of their 2 goals missed an open goal, had a 1v1 saved by Wildsmith's legs and the penalty incident at the end. Calling the above an even game and a fair draw is a bit of a stretch.

I would have taken the point before the game but having lead twice we probably should have taken all 3 points - Portsmouth really are not very good and neither are we but obviously we are both a fair bit better than many other sides in the league overall 

Let’s get automatic promotion and have a big rethink on how we are going to play next season and who we can recruit to improve us.

8 minutes ago, ap04 said:

In the game I saw we scored 2 goals and created nothing else of note in 90 minutes.

Portsmouth on top of their 2 goals missed an open goal, had a 1v1 saved by Wildsmith's legs and the penalty incident at the end. Calling the above an even game and a fair draw is a bit of a stretch.

Ah yes, a solid point away from home this evening so of course you’ve rode in on your horse to be dismissive about yet another result for the club you allegedly support 🙄 

We created and scored 2 goals, they created and scored 2 goals. It was a draw, a deserved one. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

2 minutes ago, ap04 said:

Had a good chance with Nelsons air kick that went wide. We missed a chance by sitting too deep for 25 and giving it away too easily in that period.  I think they are a well drilled side but over the 2 games i've seen, not as good as Ipswich or Plymouth last year.  If this was last season they'd be a playoff side.  We might still be.  A draw was fair to me from what I saw.

43 minutes ago, Archied said:

That’s good then, here’s my opinion , people ( small number ) who come on here to rubbish our , team and or manager in a match thread to bring people down or wind them up constantly are not derby fans , they are not invested in what’s going on NOW , have disdain for fans who are happy and getting some excitement and enjoyment from being in the hunt for promotion and if it was up to me I would ban them till end of season to let us proper fans enjoy the ride ,,, 

that’s my opinion and I’ve held back a bit from saying it but duck it , it needs saying 

I’m insulted.

That’s two good/determined and disciplined games in a row after Northampton.

lots to be happy with and relieved  Collo can play 60 mins plus we will need him against Wycombe  

CBT is helping the team whilst NML goes through a spell of less impactful form 

if we can get those two performing well at the same time 

The only posts that have distracted me from feeling good about the point gained tonight have been those that have been a little bit OTT

one poster in particular i felt over did it with the expletives. I like that our forum doesn’t really have swear words .. at least not aggressively directed at another poster anyway 

Bris hasn’t dampened any of my enjoyment and I’m surprised others have allowed him to seemingly dampen there’s. I don’t like censorship and I don’t like .. self appointed policing (not talking about mods)

whilst I don’t agree with all he says @Caerphilly Ram is an example to us all regarding staying polite/ respectful and objective (most of the time 😂)when messaging with those who propose a view that he doesn’t share.

Ebou Adams well played

Corey Smith really good input over the past 5 or so games since his return

great that I’m feeling a touch of disappointment with a draw when I would have bitten your arm off for a point pre kick off

Please let us go up via the automatics and please let it not go to the last game of the season (I think we all know it will!) 

nelshin player(s) of the season for me 

Back home…

Excellent performance. Points from me:

- adventurous line up. Well done Warne.

- CBT, superb. Keep this up in the last four games and this is a new player for us.

- Adams, incredible force in the middle. If he had a passing range, well, he wouldn’t be in L1

- Ward - pleased for him. First goal super finish, second he got a good break 

- Wildsmith - having watched the goal back, does he have a weakness on long range shots (thinking Stevenage as well). He has to do better and stop that. I don’t think he’s as good as he or is think he is.

- The fans - we were incredible. Loud from the get go. Quieter second half as expected with their pressure.

There was a point in the first half though when just about all four stands were jumping around if you’re going up (or whatever the phrase is). It was awesome to see.

Portsmouth are good. It felt like a Championship quality game as well. 

Overall,  very satisfied as wasn’t expecting anything.

2 hours ago, ap04 said:

You missed the air shot from Curtis Nelson in the box after a lovely chest down by Collo?!  

Such a heavy pitch it’s a salute to all players that their fitness levels can achieve such good football throughout. I genuinely was concerned when the ball sometimes slowed up that it could be A-A. I’m tucked up now and very content. Listening to the rain in Stockport that I think has arrived from Pompey! 

5 hours ago, oodledoodle said:

I'd like an extra body in the middle, rather than like for like. Maybe Wilson for Tommo, keep NML and CBT out wide and have that body in midfield closing gaps.

Saying that, they do seem to have most of their luck down the wings. Not sure if we have much on the bench to counter that.

Great result at a very difficult place. Credit to all the Rams fans who made the journey too . That’s dedication. 🐏👏🐏👏

Everyone did their part. 
Don’t blame Joe for the second. A hard and swerving shot that deserved a goal in truth.

My only concern is NML’s lack of form over the last three games. Just not the same player. Physically tired ? Still carrying a niggle ? Yes, being asked to play ouf of position but even so he seemed out of it tonight, particularly after saying (in his pre-match interview) how he was so looking forward to the game. Mind u, the CBT run leading to the first goal was good to see.

COYR . We can do this. We just can’t have another ‘Northampton’ at Wycombe- that will be a very hard-fought game.

🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏

4 hours ago, Patrick Rams said:

100% want Pompey to stuff Bolton! Couldn't give a damn about finishing top.Its vital to get out of this league this season.

I suspect it will be a draw. Not sure if that’s good for us or not (obviously better than Bolton winning). But my view is that we just win our last 4.

Wycombe will be a test. 

Great result and performance.  A point away at the top of league in horrendous conditions is not to be sniffed at.  I thought Ward took his goals well, especially the first.  He hit it first time, no need for a touch to control it and that probably caught them out.  CBT had his best performance in a Rams shirt and showed what he can offer now he’s over his niggles and settled in.  Sibley did well against one of the best wingers in the league.

Adams - my MoM, although Cashin ran him close.  I thought we might need a 3rd man in midfield but having him as 1 of the 2 is like having 3 in midfield.  The amount of ground he covers is superb, he tackles, he supports the attack and good on the ball.  How he plays with that energy during Ramadan I’ll never know.

I thought we were tactically spot on in the 2nd half and played the conditions well.  No point in closing down, risk a slip that lets them through or gives away a free-kick.  We made them go long and the ball skidded out on a slippy surface.  It took a bit of luck (handball) and a cracking strike to equalise - Wildsmith was a bit unlucky with that.

4 to go, 3 wins should do it.  April could feel like a long month!!  COYR 🐏.

Edited by FlyBritishMidland

7 hours ago, LittleEatonRam said:

I'm sorry, but I just don't think declaring people to have sad lives is in keeping with the modern spirit of 'being kind'.

I'm not sure I want the modern phenomenon of everyone being upset about every little thing and using it as an excuse to be offended is a spirit I subscribe to!

@Bris Vegasknew what he was doing, is a serial offender who is well able to take any reaction - and possibly welcomes it.

It's a oft repeated opinion of his that was delivered at that moment that was always going to p*** on a few people's chips. 

Anyway....!

Interesting debate if we had stood off them less 2nd half, would we have won.  We will never know but it does shred the nerves watching us put no pressure on the ball and just sitting in with no one really giving us any outlet.

The defence looked solid apart from Wildsmith who looked a bit unsure all game. Wilson in particular looked good.

Adams and Smith both worked their socks off. NML the only disappointment- seems to have lost the afterburner that make him such a threat. CBT looked really good going forward but lazy defensively.

Collins never stopped working and his touch was improved.

Great point and keeps Portsmouth honest at least for the Bolton game.

8 days to get everyone fit and then go again.