Match Thread: vs Portsmouth (a)

6 minutes ago, Rampant said:

This is our second season following a significant meltdown off the pitch which resulted in obvious repercussions on it. We've consolidated and are now in a good position to return to the Championship. 

Agreed. Having to rebuild a squad from scratch under heavy EFL restrictions? I'd say having a massive shot at automatic promotion at the end of season two is a very good job indeed by all at the club. 

Proper game of football. Pompey very decent but we just about matched them. Nerves were shredded at the end.
Another tough watch where we sat back on a lead but doing otherwise could have cost us what could be one of the best points of the season.

Hopefully that’s the last time we go full park the bus this season.

4 or 5 nil vs Ambulance Chasers FC please.

How good was Collins for someone with 20 mins under his belt? 

9 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

As I mentioned in a reply to you the other week, there’s an aloofness to your posts that seems inexplicable. It’s your opinion that it will be a relegation 6 pointer in the championship next season, no one knows that for sure as yet either due to the season still ongoing and/or the changes that could occur to playing staff and management of either club in the summer. And yet you post it as a statement, again, fine it’s your opinion…it may even be a probable one, but it is not a given.

Surely every post in here is an opinion?

X had a good game tonight.

That’s a good point.

Warne’s subs were poor.

Thompson looked lively.

Wildsmith has to do better there.

Warne deserves credit tonight.

Pretty much everyone’s statements in here are opinions. Mine too. It would look a bit tedious if you have to write IMO after every line.

Opinions are fine as long as they aren’t insulting anybody.

4 minutes ago, TheTinMan said:

Just got in from work and caught the highlights. Very good point, would have taken before kickoff. Could be the vital point come the end of 46 games. 

Unfortunately Wildsmith is and has been for a while now a liability coming for balls he shouldn't be etc, cracking hit from Moxon but I think Wildsmith should have done better. 

I’d say the ball moved quite a bit in the air and was travelling. Probably did well to lay a paw on it. I do agree though about his decision-making. Notwithstanding the conditions that’s 3 times now this year he’s raced out to the left edge of the box and conceded a pen or free-kick. The minor slip he took when his hands were already out of the area holding the ball probably saved him a booking. You could argue the weather conditions contributed to his flailing at the cross in the first half but I was always told if you’re coming for the ball you better get it! From the limited evidence I’ve seen of Vickers his all-round game appears more solid, and I’d be very surprised if he isn’t PWs No.1 next season.

19 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Climb out of your own arse. You're not half as smart as you think you are and folk are sick to death of your BS.

I remember a few seasons back, a continued insistence that Vydra had clearly hit a shot completely the wrong way - should have gone for the near post instead of across the keeper,  or some such blather - with an absolute insistence that it showed he simply was not, and never would be, good enough. 
Vydra then went on to destroy everything in his path, scoring for fun as one of the most efficient scoring machines Derby has ever had. 
Since then I’ve read the proclamations of footballing insight and knowledge that are beyond us mere mortals with the respect they deserve. The ramblings of someone who likes the sound of their own voice a little too much. 

52 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Why? I think my points are valid. I’m confident we’ll get promoted and have been for a while.

I’m confident we would struggle with Warne as manager in the Championship.

Surely I’m allowed an opinion 🤷‍♂️

The content i largely agree with, but the timing...

2 minutes ago, ck- said:

I remember a few seasons back, a continued insistence that Vydra had clearly hit a shot completely the wrong way - should have gone for the near post instead of across the keeper,  or some such blather - with an absolute insistence that it showed he simply was not, and never would be, good enough. 
Vydra then went on to destroy everything in his path, scoring for fun as one of the most efficient scoring machines Derby has ever had. 
Since then I’ve read the proclamations of footballing insight and knowledge that are beyond us mere mortals with the respect they deserve. The ramblings of someone who likes the sound of their own voice a little too much. 

And Peteborough away, lest us forget

9 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

That’s a good point.

Warne’s subs were poor.

Thompson looked lively.

Pretty much everyone’s statements in here are opinions. Mine too. It would look a bit tedious if you have to write IMO after every line.

Fair point, but can’t we just be pleased about an excellent performance and point tonight?

21 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I've put him on 'ignore' so many times, but I always relent a few months later.

It's almost as though I need to read someone else's batshit insanity every now and again to convince me that I'm not losing my own marbles (yet).

Now to a (in my opinion) non-controversial point - I would have taken that scoreline before the game. No arguments or recriminations from me about possible offsides or handballs regarding the Pompey goals - that's football, and things, by and large, average out over a season.

Agree mate. Seen someone on twitter say if there was VAR in league one then both their goals wouldn't have counted.

But then you can say if there was then both our goals at home to Reading wouldn't have counted. Swings and roundabouts.

33 minutes ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

Its a wet pitch and players slipping left right and centre you put press on them it make it hard im not on about having the ball but being behind the ball all the second half we gave them too much respect

Press a man hard on a pitch as waterlogged as that and as you approach he’ll push the ball to one side and watch you slide towards the bye line like a duck landing on a lake north of Toronto in February 

6 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

That’s a good point.

Warne’s subs were poor.

Thompson looked lively.

Bit harsh the conditions were awful for gks tonight i said at the start id have long shots with the wind makes it very hard. I aint going to say anything about warne as people must see football in different ways 

1 hour ago, YouRams said:

Think Warnes had a stinker there and 2 points dropped. They didn't look like doing anything that second half. Their LB picked up an early yellow, should've pulled Collins for Wash and him and NML go at them down that wing. Sat back, left Collo on too long and inevitably they score.

Rubbish! Gland you aren’t manager!

38 minutes ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

Its a wet pitch and players slipping left right and centre you put press on them it make it hard im not on about having the ball but being behind the ball all the second half we gave them too much respect

A wet pitch and players slipping is potentially the WORST conditions to try a high intensity press as easy to sidestep someone racing in to close you down.... look at the 1st goal we conceded, Nelson needed to hold position instead of getting too close to be easily passed, but it's hard in those conditions 

4 minutes ago, ck- said:

Vydra wasn’t good enough. He had one decent half season when Rowett could get a tune out of him but was subsequently mediocre for the rest of his time here. 

43 minutes ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

Sitting 11 behind a ball when every player has been slipping all game and not put press on them yes! I was happy with a point before the game but we played into there hands collins to be defending for there goal wheres the midfield? In our fibal 1/4 of the pitch and they score because you only hald collins that far forward is shocking! 

It ain't Subutteo, fella.

44 minutes ago, jono said:

You need to understand that Bris in his long and active career. Follow his lead and suggestions and we’ll be in Europe within 4 years. He doesn’t have opinions like the rest of us. He is a sage, a font of all wisdom, Fergy, Wenger Jose, hung on every word 

He's no Sage