Match Thread: vs Blackpool (h)

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Weston for the last 20 against tired legs would be my call. Will only work when we are playing on the break but he is much better at avoiding the offside trap than Waggy or Wash! And he can finish.

Weston would do a job if partnered with Waggy or Collins. If playing with a front 3, he would have to be used on the wing. Potentially starting with Wilson, Waghorn, Blackett-Taylor, then finish with Weston, Collins and Washington

It's pretty hard to keep up with the plethora of injuries and the estimates on how long said players will take to return. Suffice to say it's pretty grim reading in any case and I see some are saying Ebou is now out too. If that's the case, then we're bang in the doodoo I'm afraid, as opposed to our current status which I'd describe as mildly decimated. That said, there's a match to be played, so based on what has been confirmed to date, but is equally subject to daily change, I'd go with the following:

A hopefully more mobile and solid looking 4 at the back, let's start from a solid foundation, at least. I'd have Wilson and Elder either side of the two who pick themselves, Cash and Nelson.

Before the Sibley fan club get irate, he still in my starting 11, I'd just push him right up the field to play off / behind Waghorn and look to make hay with Wilson and Ward paired on the right flank.

CBT remains an unknown to me but he looks the only sensible option we have right now to provide some sort of threat on the left. Lord knows I'd love to see the lad step up, as if ever there was a time to make a name for himself, it's now. He does show promise, but we need something rather more tangible come Friday night.

Elsewhere, Smith comes in for Hourihane. We must front up early and I think we'll be more able to do so without sacrificing too much passing ability, with Korey in a 3 and Conor an option later in the game as legs tire.  Waggy completes the line up, but is only marginally favoured over Washington. I might even be tempted to start the latter as I believe he will stretch defences more than a strangely subdued looking Waghorn. Waggy gets the nod by a  cat's whisker.

lineup(1).png.43ef298b5eed4a53518fe62f800cb2ee.png

The starters aside, I'll wait to see who we have available and remotely fit, but even just for the psychological lift, it'd be grand to see Collo tamping at the bit in the dugout. Likewise, could young Jake Rooney figure? Robinson and Weston, along with the skipper and Thommo, seem likely candidates for the bench too.

I do think it's all about this game now. Win and with players perhaps returning the following week (or with another week under their belts at least), we could be back on track. Conversely, slide to another defeat and all momentum will be lost. With Pompey sat in wait, that's a fairly grim prospect, least it is for yours truly.

Suffice to say it's a huge weekend for club and fans and on that note, the first time we've actually had something to play for in a few seasons now, something I've overlooked if truth be told, so that's some small silver lining, at least!

COYR

11 hours ago, Srg said:

It wasn't particularly that we lost on Saturday, which is obviously very disappointing, it's the fact that moving into this game and beyond, we just barely have a functional squad to call upon. Trying to pick a team for this is so difficult. Sibley needs to be utilised further forward, CBT needs to start. Hourihane needs to be dropped entirely. Ideally don't play Waghorn. Beyond that, I have no idea. Of course, it's unlikely he will even do half of that.

Agree about Sibley further forward . “Best finisher at the club”. Warne is right . He put one on a plate for Waghorn v Cobblers. Got to get Sibbo on the end of something.

8 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

It's pretty hard to keep up with the plethora of injuries and the estimates on how long said players will take to return. Suffice to say it's pretty grim reading in any case and I see some are saying Ebou is now out too. If that's the case, then we're bang in the doodoo I'm afraid, as opposed to our current status which I'd describe as mildly decimated. That said, there's a match to be played, so based on what has been confirmed to date, but is equally subject to daily change, I'd go with the following:

A hopefully more mobile and solid looking 4 at the back, let's start from a solid foundation, at least. I'd have Wilson and Elder either side of the two who pick themselves, Cash and Nelson.

Before the Sibley fan club get irate, he still in my starting 11, I'd just push him right up the field to play off / behind Waghorn and look to make hay with Wilson and Ward paired on the right flank.

CBT remains an unknown to me but he looks the only sensible option we have right now to provide some sort of threat on the left. Lord knows I'd love to see the lad step up, as if ever there was a time to make a name for himself, it's now. He does show promise, but we need something rather more tangible come Friday night.

Elsewhere, Smith comes in for Hourihane. We must front up early and I think we'll be more able to do so without sacrificing too much passing ability, with Korey in a 3 and Conor an option later in the game as legs tire.  Waggy completes the line up, but is only marginally favoured over Washington. I might even be tempted to start the latter as I believe he will stretch defences more than a strangely subdued looking Waghorn. Waggy gets the nod by a  cat's whisker.

The starters aside, I'll wait to see who we have available and remotely fit, but even just for the psychological lift, it'd be grand to see Collo tamping at the bit in the dugout. Likewise, could young Jake Rooney figure? Robinson and Weston, along with the skipper and Thommo, seem likely candidates for the bench too.

I do think it's all about this game now. Win and with players perhaps returning the following week (or with another week under their belts at least), we could be back on track. Conversely, slide to another defeat and all momentum will be lost. With Pompey sat in wait, that's a fairly grim prospect, least it is for yours truly.

Suffice to say it's a huge weekend for club and fans and on that note, the first time we've actually had something to play for in a few seasons now, something I've overlooked if truth be told, so that's some small silver lining, at least!

COYR

Huge weekend you say.general election uk GIF by BBC

I have a couple of friends that are Blackpool fans - are there any recommendations of pubs that allow away fans in as well as home? Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

Agree about Sibley further forward . “Best finisher at the club”. Warne is right . He put one on a plate for Waghorn v Cobblers. Got to get Sibbo on the end of something.

Yep, Sibley needs to be in the mix when we are attacking in and around the oppositions area. If not, other than a set piece, not sure where the goals come from 🙁

Edited by europia

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

It looked more like a shot than a pass, but I agree that current resources should mean a back 4 and a job for Sibley further forward.

I'm pretty sure Collins will be on the bench at very least. Why have him on the pitch doing running drills against Northampton? He wasn't in the squad, he could have done running drills privately if it absolutely had to be done on that day, or he could just use the extra week to build up more fitness.

It was almost a show-off to the fans that we have a striker coming back to soften the blow of losing Gayle. I don't see any other reason, when else have we had an "injured" player who wasn't in the squad warming up before a game?

I don't think he will start because it would be too risky to lose him again, but if things aren't going too well at half-time, I think JC may make his return on Good Friday.

10 hours ago, Kernow said:

I'm pretty sure Collins will be on the bench at very least. Why have him on the pitch doing running drills against Northampton? He wasn't in the squad, he could have done running drills privately if it absolutely had to be done on that day, or he could just use the extra week to build up more fitness.

It was almost a show-off to the fans that we have a striker coming back to soften the blow of losing Gayle. I don't see any other reason, when else have we had an "injured" player who wasn't in the squad warming up before a game?

I don't think he will start because it would be too risky to lose him again, but if things aren't going too well at half-time, I think JC may make his return on Good Friday.

Two days early! 

21 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Weston would do a job if partnered with Waggy or Collins. If playing with a front 3, he would have to be used on the wing. Potentially starting with Wilson, Waghorn, Blackett-Taylor, then finish with Weston, Collins and Washington

All season we have seen little evidence of ‘partnering’ up front, especially when Collo has been on and impressing PW with his ability to cover every blade of grass. If the object is to get the ball to the bye line then cross it, you end up with a bunch of lone wolves up front whoever they are. 

16 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

COYR

Love this line up. Let’s just go for it.