Match Thread: vs Blackpool (h)

16 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

Why are people preferring Ward over Wilson at RB? Neither are defensively amazing but Wilson has looked more solid there to my eyes (and gives away less penalties).

Playing Wilson at fullback gives him the space to use his greatest strength- progressive dribbling, whilst Ward as a winger would still be able to utilise his crossing. Given that Wilson sometimes lacks end product, this way round seems more sensible to me?

I find it a difficult one to call. The right cross from Ward wins a game, he has excellent ability to put pace and bend on a pass. Not seen any in this league who can get that dangerous low trajectory but Wilson is such a fighter who has that ability to beat a man properly. Rare these days. Neither excel defensively. … Glad I’m not a manager. !

25 minutes ago, jono said:

I find it a difficult one to call. The right cross from Ward wins a game, he has excellent ability to put pace and bend on a pass. Not seen any in this league who can get that dangerous low trajectory but Wilson is such a fighter who has that ability to beat a man properly. Rare these days. Neither excel defensively. … Glad I’m not a manager. !

Agree re Ward and his crosses, if Gayle or Collins were on the pitch, with Waghorn it would need to be 3 great crosses minimum as he's likely to balloon them over the bar....

According to Dom Dietrich Warne has said Collins will be involved against Blackpool, as will NML but needs further assessment. 
I know how important Friday could be, but I really hope we don’t take risks with NML. It’s not ideal but I’d play him from the bench on Friday, give CBT chance to show what he can do with Ward or Wilson on the other side then only use Nat if needed. 

3 hours ago, Rich84 said:

Agree re Ward and his crosses, if Gayle or Collins were on the pitch, with Waghorn it would need to be 3 great crosses minimum as he's likely to balloon them over the bar....

Both Ward and Wilson deserve to play but they don’t seem to play well together. 

Not sure if it would work with Wilson behind Ward but it hasn’t worked the other way around.

Ward’s set pieces are definitely goal threats and heaven knows we need those.

On 25/03/2024 at 10:17, Waghorny said:

Really struggling to see where the goals in this team are coming from but....

Wildsmith
Smith - Nelson - Cashin - Elder
Adams - Hourihane
Wilson - Thompson - Sibley
Waghorn

Subs: Vickers, Ward, Radcliffe, Robinson, Fornah, Washington, CBT.

Smith to start at RB in a back 4 (more solid than Wilson/Ward)
CBT benched again as Warne doesnt seem to trust him to start yet
Waghorn over Washington as the latter returns to fitness
Sibley pushed back out to the wing (sorry) as we have no-one else to cover
Thommo playing the furthest forward of the 3 midfielders

I don't think NML and Collins being back (involved as Warne put it) will mean changes to this XI, think they'll be getting a 30 minute run out from the bench, can't risk bringing them back too early,

To replace Radcliffe and Fornah (who i didn't realise was injured) off the bench. 

After hearing NML and Collo can be in the squad I’d go with

Wildsmith 

Ward Nelson Cashin Elder

Wilson Adams Smith CBT

Waghorn Washington

Bench: Loach, Bartley, Sibley, Hourihane, Thompson, NML, Collo.

4-4-2 with a lot of hard working players starting and then energy and quality off the bench. 

48 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

After hearing NML and Collo can be in the squad I’d go with

Wildsmith 

Ward Nelson Cashin Elder

Wilson Adams Smith CBT

Waghorn Washington

Bench: Loach, Bartley, Sibley, Hourihane, Thompson, NML, Collo.

4-4-2 with a lot of hard working players starting and then energy and quality off the bench. 

That does look as dangerous as we can make it, allowing for injuries.

I would probably reverse Ward and Wilson as I think Kane works better from deep positions and is the better defender.

Having Collins and NML back soon does give me some comfort.

2 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

That does look as dangerous as we can make it, allowing for injuries.

I would probably reverse Ward and Wilson as I think Kane works better from deep positions and is the better defender.

Having Collins and NML back soon does give me some comfort.

Maybe Waghorn can run around with nunchuks for added danger

Just now, Srg said:

Maybe Waghorn can run around with nunchuks for added danger

He’s dangerous enough in that sense. I love his desire but he’s a bit like an old Labrador now. Tongue out, enjoying his run, but getting nowhere quickly.

If the ball comes his way in the box and he has time, he will give it a whack but those chances that came his way at the start of the season are fairly rare. 

5 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

He’s dangerous enough in that sense. I love his desire but he’s a bit like an old Labrador now. Tongue out, enjoying his run, but getting nowhere quickly.

If the ball comes his way in the box and he has time, he will give it a whack but those chances that came his way at the start of the season are fairly rare. 

His chances always seem to fall on his 'wrong' foot, many players seem to be quite useless on their 'wrong' foot. Last night a Belgian forward should have sealed the game in the dying minutes, on his own about 12 yards out and he skyed it over the bar. The commentator excused him by saying that it was on his 'wrong' foot and we're talking about a 'world class' player here, not a league 1 player.

CH has a sweet left foot but don't count on any chances on his right foot.

2 minutes ago, ram59 said:

His chances always seem to fall on his 'wrong' foot, many players seem to be quite useless on their 'wrong' foot. Last night a Belgian forward should have sealed the game in the dying minutes, on his own about 12 yards out and he skyed it over the bar. The commentator excused him by saying that it was on his 'wrong' foot and we're talking about a 'world class' player here, not a league 1 player.

CH has a sweet left foot but don't count on any chances on his right foot.

I’m not for one second suggesting that I was anything other than a bog standard village footballer but I played all of my football at left back, despite being right footed.

Over time, you adapt and I could cross the ball, shoot or take free kicks with either foot. No excuses for those who play for a living.

Scroll past the predictions and there's some interesting head-to-head stats here for Derby / Blackpool games over the years if anyone is interested. Quick scan seems to show we have done well against them, historically speaking, especially in the last decade or so, not that it has any bearing on Friday's fixture, but perhaps a crumb of comfort nonetheless. I've run a quick search on the page and you'll be delighted to know that it appears to be an xG free zone too.

https://www.fctables.com/h2h/blackpool/derby1/#:~:text=Derby won 11 direct matches,a 3.06 goals per Match.

Also, had a quick gander at the Blackpool forum and it's very quiet. Did see this that made me chuckle given the game's on Friday anyway:

image.thumb.png.97bf883724a3749ab21dc2fba3610404.png

Bit lemon, I thought and not strictly accurate either, but we'll let him off given he's a tangerine and we like them 😋

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I’m not for one second suggesting that I was anything other than a bog standard village footballer but I played all of my football at left back, despite being right footed.

Over time, you adapt and I could cross the ball, shoot or take free kicks with either foot. No excuses for those who play for a living.

I've said this for a long time, especially when the current footballers have been at professional clubs from a very early age. Surely they must have regular sessions only using their 'wrong' foot, from an early age.

However, I wonder if can you train a player to use his 'wrong' foot in an instinctive moment? I say this because I've seen Waggy score a good goal with his 'wrong' foot, but on that occasion, he had time to measure and concentrate on his shot. I also play to a very low level and can play the ball with my 'wrong' foot, but if the ball comes to me quickly, more often than not, it will be a swing and hope shot.

Wildsmith

Wilson  Nelson Cashin elder

Adam’s 

Houiraine          sibley 

Nml                                  CBT    
                Collins