Match Thread: vs Blackpool (h)

Why are people preferring Ward over Wilson at RB? Neither are defensively amazing but Wilson has looked more solid there to my eyes (and gives away less penalties).

Playing Wilson at fullback gives him the space to use his greatest strength- progressive dribbling, whilst Ward as a winger would still be able to utilise his crossing. Given that Wilson sometimes lacks end product, this way round seems more sensible to me?

Wildsmith
Smith  Nelson  Cashin  Elder
               Robinson
    Adams                Sibley
Wilson           Blackett-Taylor
                Collins

Smith at RB as I'd say he'd be more solid defensively than either Ward or Wilson. Robinson to debut at DM to screen the back 4 (he'd be the best at doing this out of everyone available IMO... also allows Ebou to use his energy further up the pitch). Wilson at RW as he seems to be able to take people on at will. Give Collins 45mins (or up to 60 if he's fit enough) then sub for Waghorn or Washington.

COYR 🐏

16 minutes ago, valakari said:

Wont be full though as the local  cricket season has started

Afternoon val, all OK I hope?

Are you suggesting that people have bought tickets with no intention of going... or are you referring to STHs who play cricket?

On 25/03/2024 at 11:21, nick_d said:

The Blackpool faithful's view on this match 

Derby County v Blackpool Official Matchday Thread 29.03.24 | AVFTT

One of their well known members has been keeping a close eye on Sonny Bradley

”we’ll be playing 3-5-2 and passing around the back for ages to keep the ball, until of course we’re pressed and then we’ll pass it back to grimmi, who will hoof it upfield hoping to find one of our players, who might just get a break if one of their defenders falls over.”

I thought Fapetu showed promise. I’d rather have him than have Waghorn lolloping around like a fat angry bee 🐝 

We need a bit more dynamism. Weston is good but might struggle physically. 

It’s a gamble, but then so is playing older strikers who are not fully fit.

2 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

Why are people preferring Ward over Wilson at RB? Neither are defensively amazing but Wilson has looked more solid there to my eyes (and gives away less penalties).

Playing Wilson at fullback gives him the space to use his greatest strength- progressive dribbling, whilst Ward as a winger would still be able to utilise his crossing. Given that Wilson sometimes lacks end product, this way round seems more sensible to me?

Wilson is better at RW than Ward

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Wilson is better at RW than Ward

So would you favour offensive prowess over defensive stability? No right answer, just curious. If we're moving to a back 4 then I'd probably prioritise stability which I think we'd have more of in Wilson at fullback.

In regards to attack, this is the game that CBT has to step up. Our marquee signing of Jan now has a gilt-edged chance to show what he's about. Just hope he takes it. ((If he doesn't start, serious questions need to be asked about recruitment!)

2 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

So would you favour offensive prowess over defensive stability? No right answer, just curious. If we're moving to a back 4 then I'd probably prioritise stability which I think we'd have more of in Wilson at fullback.

In regards to attack, this is the game that CBT has to step up. Our marquee signing of Jan now has a gilt-edged chance to show what he's about. Just hope he takes it. ((If he doesn't start, serious questions need to be asked about recruitment!)

Wasn't there a game where Sibley played on the right in front of Wilson? Worked quite well. Then CBT on the left, Waggy/Collo in the middle?

Edited by RoyMac5

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Wasn't there a game where Sibley played on the right in front of Wilson? Worked quite well. Then CBT on the left, Waggy/Collo in the middle?

Potentially, I can't recall that particular game though. CBT starting is integral for me, agreed. I'm really quite nervous about this game, won't lie. 

2 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

Potentially, I can't recall that particular game though. CBT starting is integral for me, agreed. I'm really quite nervous about this game, won't lie. 

This. Despite pre match ales the nerves will no doubt be palpable and feed through to the players. Fans will have to steady them, players need 100% backing. 

7 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

If it’s a choice between Ward or Wilson at RB, I choose Smith.

7 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

Yes, Ward has excellent delivery, possibly best in L1. Of course we then need someone to get on the end of the quality balls arriving in the box. Probably wasted on the likes of Waggy.....

9 hours ago, MadAmster said:

Afternoon val, all OK I hope?

Are you suggesting that people have bought tickets with no intention of going... or are you referring to STHs who play cricket?

Season Ticket holders like myself who play cricket...lets hope we dont have play offs as well!