Match Thread: vs Blackpool (h)

17 hours ago, ram59 said:

I've said this for a long time, especially when the current footballers have been at professional clubs from a very early age. Surely they must have regular sessions only using their 'wrong' foot, from an early age.

However, I wonder if can you train a player to use his 'wrong' foot in an instinctive moment? I say this because I've seen Waggy score a good goal with his 'wrong' foot, but on that occasion, he had time to measure and concentrate on his shot. I also play to a very low level and can play the ball with my 'wrong' foot, but if the ball comes to me quickly, more often than not, it will be a swing and hope shot.

Bit different perhaps, but the nuns have stopped teaching LH kids to write right handed. If someone had coached Davids, or Messi or Salah to be more balanced players, they might have thrown the baby out with the bathwater. (And a ball sweetly struck with the outside of the foot is a beautiful thing)

20 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Scroll past the predictions and there's some interesting head-to-head stats here for Derby / Blackpool games over the years if anyone is interested. Quick scan seems to show we have done well against them, historically speaking, especially in the last decade or so, not that it has any bearing on Friday's fixture, but perhaps a crumb of comfort nonetheless. I've run a quick search on the page and you'll be delighted to know that it appears to be an xG free zone too.

https://www.fctables.com/h2h/blackpool/derby1/#:~:text=Derby won 11 direct matches,a 3.06 goals per Match.

Also, had a quick gander at the Blackpool forum and it's very quiet. Did see this that made me chuckle given the game's on Friday anyway:

image.thumb.png.97bf883724a3749ab21dc2fba3610404.png

Bit lemon, I thought and not strictly accurate either, but we'll let him off given he's a tangerine and we like them 😋

I think he meant "As of last Saturday/According to post match interviews after Saturday's game at Northampton.  🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Bit different perhaps, but the nuns have stopped teaching LH kids to write right handed. If someone had coached Davids, or Messi or Salah to be more balanced players, they might have thrown the baby out with the bathwater. (And a ball sweetly struck with the outside of the foot is a beautiful thing)

Lukaku’s cross for Belgium’s 2nd Tuesday night was a thing of beauty

Ok , having my usual pre match travel coffee in the garden , got real worries about this one , injuries are biting , very poor result last game and away at leaders next , they are no mugs and the pressure is on ,,,, what could go wrong 🫣,

in truth I always go to these kind of games with the gut feeling we will lose then everything else is a bonus , it is derby after all ,

that said I’m hoping we bounce back and a few below us have a bit of a slip , big crowd and we need to get behind the team 

coyr💪

Travelling back from snowdonia to Hampshire today so depending on start time and/or traffic may not get to see anything before the result.

Important game for our defence - let's get back to the miserly days of earlier in the season where we hardly seemed to concede.

If we don't let any in, at least we can't get beat.

4 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Travelling back from snowdonia to Hampshire today so depending on start time and/or traffic may not get to see anything before the result.

Important game for our defence - let's get back to the miserly days of earlier in the season where we hardly seemed to concede.

With all the injuries  like you we've had a mountain to climb.

Wildsmith 

Wilson Nelson Cashin Elder

Ward Adams Smith Sibley

CBT.
           Washington

Bench: Loach, Bartley, Waggy, Hourihane, Thompson, NML, Collo.

4-4-1-1 for me free roving role for CBT. Wilson and Ward can swap roles, ie one of em goes forward the other covers

48 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

We've conceded 3 goals in 9 games. Defence isn't the problem.

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Ok , having my usual pre match travel coffee in the garden , got real worries about this one , injuries are biting , very poor result last game and away at leaders next , they are no mugs and the pressure is on ,,,, what could go wrong 🫣,

in truth I always go to these kind of games with the gut feeling we will lose then everything else is a bonus , it is derby after all ,

that said I’m hoping we bounce back and a few below us have a bit of a slip , big crowd and we need to get behind the team 

coyr💪

All true, but reading and listening to Blackpool fans has massively encouraged me. They fanny about at the back and if pressed lump it long to no one. Goalie is a good shot stopper but struggles to command on crosses. Their attack has relied on Rhodes and they have one creative threat in Dembele.  Midfield tends towards sideways and backwards possession. Wingbacks not great.  So, of course they have had some good results against top sides and are good enough to capitalise on our mistakes, but I think these are encouraging signs that we can impose ourselves on them. Collo will feature, possibly even NML. 

What have I done by airing this publicly?

22 minutes ago, Andrew3000 said:

All true, but reading and listening to Blackpool fans has massively encouraged me. They fanny about at the back and if pressed lump it long to no one. Goalie is a good shot stopper but struggles to command on crosses. Their attack has relied on Rhodes and they have one creative threat in Dembele.  Midfield tends towards sideways and backwards possession. Wingbacks not great.  So, of course they have had some good results against top sides and are good enough to capitalise on our mistakes, but I think these are encouraging signs that we can impose ourselves on them. Collo will feature, possibly even NML. 

What have I done by airing this publicly?

Dembele seems to have found his feet there since being coined a wonderkid at Celtic. His position is on the right wing cutting inside so our LB must be on their game defensively today and as the usual case with Warne wanting to commit our wing backs forward quickly Ebou and Hourihane/Smith must know when to fill the spaces left behind in case we lose the ball easily. 

Hopefully for ourselves we see a more calmer more coherent display in terms of our general build up play. Looking back at last week Northampton really had us sussed by crowding the width that we were trying to create from our wing backs meanwhile our back 3 spent far too long with the ball it meant the opposition were ready for any channel ball that was incoming.

We need more presence inside so we are totally not a one trick pony so I would be moving Sibley in the 10 behind Waghorn/Washington. I'm not quite sure what Warne was trying to achieve with Thompson in that position last week.

8 minutes ago, eddielewis said:

Dembele seems to have found his feet there since being coined a wonderkid at Celtic. His position is on the right wing cutting inside so our LB must be on their game defensively today and as the usual case with Warne wanting to commit our wing backs forward quickly Ebou and Hourihane/Smith must know when to fill the spaces left behind in case we lose the ball easily. 

Hopefully for ourselves we see a more calmer more coherent display in terms of our general build up play. Looking back at last week Northampton really had us sussed by crowding the width that we were trying to create from our wing backs meanwhile our back 3 spent far too long with the ball it meant the opposition were ready for any channel ball that was incoming.

We need more presence inside so we are totally not a one trick pony so I would be moving Sibley in the 10 behind Waghorn/Washington. I'm not quite sure what Warne was trying to achieve with Thompson in that position last week.

Yes calmer and more coherent would be welcome. I'm hoping Smith starts in place of Hourihane because I think his passing helps.

Dembele will be dangerous but I'd rather him up against Elder than running past Sibley and Cashin. 4 at the back should help.