Match Thread: vs Blackpool (h)

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

A question at the fans forum was raised, asking Buxton and Hale if they think the U18/21 players ahold have been given more of an opportunity this season. The response being "they haven't done enough to convince Warne". They also stated Thomspon not being a top performer in the U21s, but stepping up seamlessly under Rooney.

None have played more than Robinson, who has only got 90 minutes vs a Wolves U21 side and hasn't played in any other game. The only player to feature in the League (Brown) has only got 13 minutes, I would be extremely surprised to see someone getting a chance this season.

Take that Wolves U21 game away, then you really see how willing Warne is to using them: Brown (30 mins), Radcliffe (11 mins) Weston (6 mins) and Fapetu (2 mins). It's pathetic.

They could have had a meaningful amount of minutes earlier in the season, even against the likes of Crewe or Bradford in Cup competitions, or when 2 goals up against Carlisle, Leyton Orient, and Bristol Rovers. If they were, we'd now have a better idea of whether they could step in for a couple of games. Even if they weren't ready, using them in more games would have helped keep our older players fresher, and potentially injury free.

It's a tricky question for them to answer that don't you think? Say well actually we expected some of them to get more minutes in the Cup games and then look over to where Warne is sat? 😄

19 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It's a tricky question for them to answer that don't you think? Say well actually we expected some of them to get more minutes in the Cup games and then look over to where Warne is sat? 😄

So which part of “ they haven’t done enough to convince Warne” don’t you understand.

Warne was standing a few feet away.

7 hours ago, Crewton said:

That'd be my team also, except I think it may be too soon for Collins to start. If so, I'd rather see Washington there than Waghorn as the former does look to run beyond defenders. I think it's also unlikely that Warne will drop Hourihane with so many unavailable, so expect either Smith or Sibley to make way.

Smith, Adams, Hourihane in midfield (can’t believe I’m advocating the latter!), Waggy should start as Wash doesn’t have the minutes in his legs.

Wildsmith

Smith         Nelson       Cashin         Elder

D.Robinson

Adams               Thompson

Wilson          Washington            CBT

(Loach, Ward, Sibley, Hourihane, Radcliffe, Waghorn, Collins)

Weston, Fapetu, Allen, K.Robinson and Cox on standby. 

Wildsmith

Smith.     Nelson.    Cashin.    Elder

Thompson  Adams.  Sibley

Ward.             Waghorn.           CBT

Nice balance, expect Collins on the bench. Smith a better right back option than Wilson in my opinion.

Not got much choice but would expect it to be a back 4 vs Blackpool. He will probably try and go to a back 3 for Pompey away.

Collins & Washington wont be fit enough to start thats for sure.

433 - 

Wildsmith - Wilson Nelson Cashin Elder - Smith Adams Hourihane - Sibley Waghorn CBT

Loach Robinson Ward Radcliffe Thompson Collins Washington

Maybe Fornah or Bird will be fit enough to make the bench. Allen, Weston & Fapetu could be other options.

Reluctantly, watching Brown at Gateshead, I think he's likely better finishing the season there. But it's a close call. If Warne had prepared to play a little more youth earlier in the season, we might know better.

Will Gayle or Collins make the bench? It's unlikely but would give everyone a fillip. Without Bradley or Fozzy, and without decent strikers, this is going to be four at the back and then it's almost anyone's guess for the remainder.  My guess would be:

Wildsmith

Smith     Nelson     Cashin     Elder

Wilson     Adams     Thompson     Blackett-Taylor

Sibley

Waghorn

Subs: Loach   Ward    Radcliffe   Hourihane    Robinson   Washington   Weston 

It wasn't particularly that we lost on Saturday, which is obviously very disappointing, it's the fact that moving into this game and beyond, we just barely have a functional squad to call upon. Trying to pick a team for this is so difficult. Sibley needs to be utilised further forward, CBT needs to start. Hourihane needs to be dropped entirely. Ideally don't play Waghorn. Beyond that, I have no idea. Of course, it's unlikely he will even do half of that.

Really struggling to see where the goals in this team are coming from but....

Wildsmith
Smith - Nelson - Cashin - Elder
Adams - Hourihane
Wilson - Thompson - Sibley
Waghorn

Subs: Vickers, Ward, Radcliffe, Robinson, Fornah, Washington, CBT.

Smith to start at RB in a back 4 (more solid than Wilson/Ward)
CBT benched again as Warne doesnt seem to trust him to start yet
Waghorn over Washington as the latter returns to fitness
Sibley pushed back out to the wing (sorry) as we have no-one else to cover
Thommo playing the furthest forward of the 3 midfielders

3 minutes ago, Waghorny said:

Really struggling to see where the goals in this team are coming from but....

Wildsmith
Smith - Nelson - Cashin - Elder
Adams - Hourihane
Wilson - Thompson - Sibley
Waghorn

Subs: Vickers, Ward, Radcliffe, Robinson, Fornah, Washington, CBT.

Smith to start at RB in a back 4 (more solid than Wilson/Ward)
CBT benched again as Warne doesnt seem to trust him to start yet
Waghorn over Washington as the latter returns to fitness
Sibley pushed back out to the wing (sorry) as we have no-one else to cover
Thommo playing the furthest forward of the 3 midfielders

Having said this, I wonder if Warne will revert to the back 4, or keep his back 5 and fit some square pegs in round holes to look something like....

Wildsmith
Wilson/Ward - Nelson - Cashin - Elder - Sibley
Adams - Hourihane - Smith/Thommo
Washington (/CBT is Washington not fit) - Waghorn (/ Collins if fit)

Still, who's scoring/assisting the goals...

13 hours ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Must win game for Pool if they want to get the playoffs?

Nearly but not quite. They're only 3 points outside of the playoffs with 7 game to play and a relatively easy run in. I'm sure they will be going for the win but I'd imagine they'd be reasonably happy with a draw.

My main issue with Warne is that he does not seem willing to give young players a real chance. Weston and Brown must feel as though they will not get an opportunity as he would rather play an aging Waghorn ahead of them off the bench when we need a goal. 

20 minutes ago, Top Lino said:

My main issue with Warne is that he does not seem willing to give young players a real chance. Weston and Brown must feel as though they will not get an opportunity as he would rather play an aging Waghorn ahead of them off the bench when we need a goal. 

Weston for the last 20 against tired legs would be my call. Will only work when we are playing on the break but he is much better at avoiding the offside trap than Waggy or Wash! And he can finish.