Match Thread: vs Blackpool (h)

30 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I’ve read a few times that Washington looked lively.

I thought he looked lazy. He and NML regularly failed to close down defenders and created very little. Even when Wash got the dream chance, he fluffed it.

I thought he was our weakest player.

Everyone else deserved 7 or higher except perhaps NML who still looks like he’s struggling for fitness.

I think he worked fairly hard, although you can tell he was choosing when to exert himself due to lack of match fitness. 

His movement was o.k and moved defenders around a bit, that said he wasn't particularly effective. It's debatable which of him or Waghorn should have started, both look short of match fitness and a bit out of sorts as a result.

Also think we've rushed Collins back too early, as he looked even more out of sorts.

15 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Real Warne-ball victory.

Score from a corner,  dig-in and sit back and win. 

Not really much 'long ball' today but pretty negative in not committing players forward. 

Not seeing all this 'great football' from Blackpool. They were similar to how Derby can be, lots of passing across the backine but no idea how to create an actual chance.

One great chance near the end when Derby heroically threw themselves in the way of a flurry of shots.

Derby shaded it, tough watch at times. Not aided by a ref who blew for every tiny bit of contact on a Blackpool player.

We said weeks ago that performances don’t matter , just win . Even if you have to “play for time “ with 15 mins to go . We did show a bit of quality when Sibley had the ball around Blackpool’s penalty area .

18 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Real Warne-ball victory.

Score from a corner,  dig-in and sit back and win. 

Not really much 'long ball' today but pretty negative in not committing players forward. 

Not seeing all this 'great football' from Blackpool. They were similar to how Derby can be, lots of passing across the backine but no idea how to create an actual chance.

One great chance near the end when Derby heroically threw themselves in the way of a flurry of shots.

Derby shaded it, tough watch at times. Not aided by a ref who blew for every tiny bit of contact on a Blackpool player.

We scored from open play. 

Ward carried the ball forward and crossed, the clearance went out wide to Sibs who crossed and the Blackpool clearance was lashed home by Adams. 

The different prism’s through which we see games! 
FWIW I thought today’s performance was a distance away from some of those horrors earlier in the season and we looked to play some good football at times, if not always successfully. NML was lovely first half but tired as did Washington who made some good runs including one wrongly flagged offside, another where he would have buried a cross from Ward had it not been cut off and the chance when he was free was at an angle where you would only back a fully fit striker to score. For me he did fine and gives us something different.

20 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Also think we've rushed Collins back too early, as he looked even more out of sorts.

Totally disagree, I thought that Collins and Thommo were excellent, non stop chasing down 3 defenders between the pair of them. Some nice touches from Collins showed us just what we've been missing lately and he's come back not a moment too soon, imo.

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

I’ve read a few times that Washington looked lively.

I thought he looked lazy. He and NML regularly failed to close down defenders and created very little. Even when Wash got the dream chance, he fluffed it.

I thought he was our weakest player.

Everyone else deserved 7 or higher except perhaps NML who still looks like he’s struggling for fitness.

I wouldn’t say he looked lazy. More like someone coming back from injury. 

Well we got the points, and Blackpool went away happy with a record medals haul for their second sport of Olympic Diving! Actually, with Blackpool coming to play it was quite a good match of football in the most part, and our whole squad played their part. I don't think anyone played badly, with Hourihane perhaps with the worst bit near the end when he made a typical Hourihane clearance which was a hoof over his shoulder vaguely in the direction of the Blackpool half, with height attained seemingly more important than the fact that it went straight to a group of 3 opposition players. But he did ok during his cameo appearance, so no bother!

I thought Ward and Wilson worked together really well today, and the back 4 did a great job. And although people on here have talked about the Blackpool chances on the first half, I never felt that they threatened hardly at all. Apart from the Wildsmith save from  free kick, they didn't actually threaten from open play until the 86th minute. ell done you Rams! They were handy with the ball, and maybe had mor possession, but actually did very little with it, while Derby did look threatening on a number of occasions. 

The holding off and not pressing was a tactical decision by Warne who told them to hold station because when they did press, Blackpool were able to "pick them off (Warne's words), and the tactics worked well. Good on you, coaches!

Re the ref - some people say that he was quit good. I think it would be more accurate to acknowledge that he wasn't the worst we have had, and didn't make any match-changing gaffes, although it seemed that the linos were doing their best to balls things up. But the truth is that he gave an enormous number of soft decisions in Blackpool's favour, hence my opening hint  at their falling to the floor so easily, with the ref falling for it most times, yet not punishing Blackpool players for a series of bad challenges. And we were all shouting for a penalty when Ebou hammered the ball home, because it was a blatant handball. He clearly didn't intend to give it, so well done Mr Adams! I was expecting the ref to rule the goal out and give the penalty after all, but thankfully he didn't. Which would have been a shame, because the goal was a cracker!

And at last, it was satisfying to be at a match where we were trying to do football, and where we were relatively comfortable, and where I didn't feel worried or scared for the whole match long.

20 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Totally disagree, I thought that Collins and Thommo were excellent, non stop chasing down 3 defenders between the pair of them. Some nice touches from Collins showed us just what we've been missing lately and he's come back not a moment too soon, imo.

Yep 😊 There was a panicky moment in our box after Collo came on, a mix of botched clearances, blocks and scrappiness. Collo brought the ball down from one of them, played for the free kick with 2 men on him, all calm and collected. Just killed the the threat by using his nous. He hasn’t got the pace and skill to rip defences apart but he’s a flipping good experienced player with diverse and valuable elements to his game

1 hour ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

Oh and I forgot to mention Adams, 1st half in particular I would of given him 10/10, what a signing he is a total rock in midfield, if wede of had him at the start of the season we would be promoted already.

That could sound like hyperbole, but I think you're spot on.