Match Thread: vs Bolton Wanderers (H)

2 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

Looking forward to it and hope that we're blessed with a decent ref for once. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if we got a card-happy loony and a bad-tempered game given what's at stake. Hope not.

The Ref is MARC EDWARDS.......21 games this season and 92 yellow cards and one red......on his 12 league one games he has shown 50 yellows.

39 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Bolton have only won 2 out of their last 6 games. Interestingly, they have won both of the games against sides who fielded 4 at the back, drawing 2 and losing 2 against sides with 3/5 at the back. In fact, since New Year, they have only beaten a 3/5 at the back side on three occasions (Burton, Cheltenham and Carlisle), all of which are in the bottom 6 of the table. Their only other wins being Wycombe, Cambridge (twice), and Oxford on Tuesday. All wins agaisnt weaker sides, including Oxford who have picked up just 14 points in 13 games since we beat them.

I am sure Warne will know all this too 👍

40 minutes ago, EranioIsGod said:

I work with a load of Bolton fans in Manchester, and they are very confident especially after their win on Tuesday. 

As long as we don't lose, its in our hands.

Browsing their forums though, and this made me chuckle....

Screenshot 2024-03-14 115735.png

I know a few Wanderers fans who predict we'll win every game even though we don't and I know plenty like me, who are hopeful but I don't know a single one who is "confident".

Mainly because we don't know which Wanderers team will turn up.

10 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

I know a few Wanderers fans who predict we'll win every game even though we don't and I know plenty like me, who are hopeful but I don't know a single one who is "confident".

Mainly because we don't know which Wanderers team will turn up.

I think it was your win on Tuesday that perked up those who work with me.....😂

14 minutes ago, Rambalin said:

The Ref is MARC EDWARDS.......21 games this season and 92 yellow cards and one red......on his 12 league one games he has shown 50 yellows.

We're undefeated under this ref:
Morecambe, November 2022 - 1-1. The ref awarded us 2 penalties and both were saved.
Oxford, March 2023 - 3-2 win

Bolton have won 2, drawn 3 and lost 1. 1 penalty awarded for and 1 against.

Going to be some game this and one that either could win and both really need to because with those behind us chasing us down a draw wouldn’t be particularly good for either of us. Much is made of wanderers performance against Oxford on Tuesday and whilst we were terrific in every department you do wonder if it was just one of those games where everything clicked or Oxford were poor. We’ll see on Saturday but if we play like that again with the same pace and intensity and Rams are less than 100% I can’t see Wanderers not winning. Of course things never happen as you’d expect and with it being your Black n White day, a full house and the ground festooned it should be a formidable task for our players not to be intimidated by it. All we can hope is that the game is not spoiled by poor refereeing as so many have been. The Ref needs to understand that emotions will be running high and make allowances whilst stamping down on the cynical stuff. It should be a cracker so let’s hope it lives up to it?

8 hours ago, EranioIsGod said:

I think it was your win on Tuesday that perked up those who work with me.....😂

t was the beautiful football we played early in the season - something we've not seen for a while....

For the first two goals Oxford's defending was appalling - almost non-existent. There was also a lucky deflection, and two reasonably well crafted goals, so not as awesomely dominant is it might appear. Saturday depends on which Der y County turns up (and of late its been the good one), which tactics Paul Warne gets us playing, and which ref turns up. We've already had our customary good ref for the season, and mot out of character for the EFL we had a ref favour us with his decisions, so the match officials are likely to be back to normal again, so its anyone's guess as to what is going to happen. But if the Rams carry on with the way they've been playing, it will go well.

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

For the first two goals Oxford's defending was appalling - almost non-existent. There was also a lucky deflection, and two reasonably well crafted goals, so not as awesomely dominant is it might appear. Saturday depends on which Der y County turns up (and of late its been the good one), which tactics Paul Warne gets us playing, and which ref turns up. We've already had our customary good ref for the season, and mot out of character for the EFL we had a ref favour us with his decisions, so the match officials are likely to be back to normal again, so its anyone's guess as to what is going to happen. But if the Rams carry on with the way they've been playing, it will go well.

Yup - it's all about who performs on the day. But we totally dominated Oxford.

Edited by Wanderlust

On 14/03/2024 at 00:12, Rampant said:

Derby vs Bolton History: Derby have had by some margin the upper hand in the head-to-heads with Wanderers. In 129 meetings our record stands at W64-D23-L42. One statistic stands out in the meetings on our turf though and it is this:

Bolton have never won at Pride Park.

There, I've said it. 

Since we moved to Pride Park, Bolton have visited us ten times in the league and drew on their third, fourth and fifth visits but went back up the M6 with nil points on the other seven occasions. We are P10: W7-D3-L0 with 24 goals scored and just five conceded when the Trotters come to town. They haven't scored more than once in any game at Pride Park and, alongside two victories by a one-goal margin, we have merrily spanked their chubby Lancashire backsides 4-0 twice, 4-1 twice and 3-0 once. Now if that isn't tempting fate I don't know what is.

Bolton have actually won once at Pride Park, albeit It was a EFL cup game in 1999/2000. They won 2-1. I was thinking about it earlier as I remember going to that match.

I’m feeling quite nervous about tomorrow now. I just hope we give it our all from the start like Tuesday night.

Edited by Will the Ram

6 hours ago, Will the Ram said:

Bolton have actually won once at Pride Park, albeit It was a EFL cup game in 1999/2000. They won 2-1. I was thinking about it earlier as I remember going to that match.

I’m feeling quite nervous about tomorrow now. I just hope we give it our all from the start like Tuesday night.

They did indeed. I only focus on the league matches though tbh. I think as clubs have placed less and less importance on cup matches over the years - until the latter rounds at least - my interest in the FA and League Cup competitions has dwindled too. The 'magic of the Cup' is no more sadly.

19 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Morecambe, November 2022 - 1-1. The ref awarded us 2 penalties and both were saved.

That game scarred me almost as much as the FA Cup semi-final v Utd at Hillsborough.

😭

Well to keep hopes of the automatics one or other of us needs to win tomorrow because the way Posh are going I think they’ll beat Pompey, unless of course Pompey get their usual late penalty gift? 😁 How many is that they’ve had now? Of course both could be draws then it’s as you were which wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world. Tomorrow might not be absolutely decisive but it could be very close to it.

11 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

But we totally dominated Oxford.

Have a gold star mate, but what's that got to do with playing Derby? Could just as easily cite the 4-1kicking from Blackpool a few weeks back. It might be relevant if we were, but the fact is, we're not Oxford, we're Derby.

If your lads pitch up like you have here, bathing in that singular afterglow instead of thinking about how to contain our lads, they might be in for a bit of a rude awakening.

1 hour ago, Warren Blufitt said:

Well to keep hopes of the automatics one or other of us needs to win tomorrow because the way Posh are going I think they’ll beat Pompey, unless of course Pompey get their usual late penalty gift? 😁 How many is that they’ve had now? Of course both could be draws then it’s as you were which wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world. Tomorrow might not be absolutely decisive but it could be very close to it.

Wow. There are a few contradictions and changes of mind in that short post. 😀

55 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Have a gold star mate, but what's that got to do with playing Derby? Could just as easily cite the 4-1kicking from Blackpool a few weeks back. It might be relevant if we were, but the fact is, we're not Oxford, we're Derby.

If your lads pitch up like you have here, bathing in that singular afterglow instead of thinking about how to contain our lads, they might be in for a bit of a rude awakening.

You have to take in to account that me and my son are attending. The tinker got me tickets for my birthday….I thought he liked me 😞 Anyway, the point is my son is a very bad omen, hardly ever seen the 🐏 win having seen us on many occasions 🥲

15 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

You have to take in to account that me and my son are attending. The tinker got me tickets for my birthday….I thought he liked me 😞 Anyway, the point is my son is a very bad omen, hardly ever seen the 🐏 win having seen us on many occasions 🥲

Cracking day to break the mould then Jimbo. Enjoy the day out and the win 😉