Match Thread: vs Bolton Wanderers (H)

4 hours ago, ap04 said:

Two students sit a set on exams on a subject, rule is the one with the most A+'s (goals) passes with all other efforts (chances) chucked away - equal both fail.

Student A gets A+ B C D (and passes), student B gets A A B C (and fails). Was A clearly the better student, or lucky to have passed?

Would Student A get to do his test in pen -have 4 strikers, whilst B gets to do it with a bit of chalk that runs out after 20 mins- Gayle

23 minutes ago, sage said:

I thought they were the better footballing team by some distance and probably edged the game overall.

Our CBs and GK were better than their's though and that, plus the fans, pulled us through.

Forsyth was immense and Cashin nit far behind.

Not sure we can keep going into games with Hourihane in a 2 though. 

I've not been happy with Hourihane's contribution in many of this season's games. He may turn up for brief spells but goes missing to often in games like today, where we needed all hands to the pumps.

The remaining games will be all about not dropping points. So we'll need players who'll fight tooth and nail for every point. And I don't think Hourihane is able to do it.

I won't care how ugly we win, I just want us to promoted.

18 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Is the L1 salt mine still open for business?

Screenshot_2024-03-16-22-26-28-271_com.twitter.android-edit.jpg

Er, I can think of a few tin the stadium that might agree that Derby deserved to win it!  Its not all about sticking it in the back of the net, our GK and defence were awesome today.

I think you'll finish in the top 2.  Of the play-off positions 😛

4 hours ago, Owen87ITK said:

Liam Thompson would probably like a word. 

Liam Thompson was immense when he came on. We're gonna need everyone in these last few games and i believe the players know it and will give it their all. Warne has built a squad who seem to want to work together. 

Its happening, The Rams are going up!

That was massive today. Wildsmith, Nelson and Cashin all immense but special mention to Foz. What a guy.

Also huge credit to Warne. I think all his subs, whether forced or not, made a difference. It would have been easy to replace Gayle with Waggy but it was crucial to get the extra body in midfield and stop Bolton from dominating. The changes at half time all worked. Wilson was a threat all half, Tommo brought loads of energy and possession, Waggy is still getting back to fitness but good to be able to bring on a striker and he played his part. And how about Elder’s first touch?

I’ve seen a lot of criticism of Hourihane and today wasn’t his best game - and he wasn’t suited to playing in a midfield 2 against Bolton’s midfield. He will make contributions over the rest of the season though, the whole squad will. I really hope CBT gets a chance soon and shows what he’s made of.

I would say I enjoyed it today but I really didn’t! I was tense as hell but I really enjoyed the result and the table looks very healthy indeed. Also, the atmosphere was amazing - both sets of fans did their clubs proud. Was very satisfying to shut them up though, didn’t hear a peep out of them after we scored. 

2 hours ago, ram59 said:

The ref had a decent game today in such an important game.

He should have given Ward a yellow card early on for a clear pull and inexplicably pulled us back a couple of times when we had a clear advantage, although not in a dangerous position, but nothing that seemed to have any effect on the result.

I thought he was very lenient to Bolton's all in wrestling at free kicks and corners. Half a dozen times Derby players were held in half nelson holds which would have been punished by referees and linos who had a clue. 

1 minute ago, uttoxram75 said:

I thought he was very lenient to Bolton's all in wrestling at free kicks and corners. Half a dozen times Derby players were held in half nelson holds which would have been punished by referees and linos who had a clue. 

Lucky for us we've got the full Nelson playing at CB!

4 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

My favourite was the free kick the goalie got after he got after he grabbed a shirt by the neck with both hands at a corner, then fell over.

Didn’t go today as I was playing rugby over at Uttoxeter. We lost, I was gutted until I got into the changing rooms after and my Port Vale supporting teammate told me that Derby had won.

What a result! We’ll win the league now I reckon!

1 hour ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Glancing through the match day thread on Bolton's forum. It's quite cute to see them making a point of how much better they are than us....as the Derby fans were booing regularly throughout the game. They say that Evatt even acknowledged the home support booing in his post match interview.

Whatever floats your boat I guess. 😂 Ebooooooooou!

Screenshot_20240316-233200~3.png

Ebou-urns.jpg

Ebou earns every penny.

Edited by Eddie

11 minutes ago, LittleEatonRam said:

I agree with him. It's great that we won it but I have no idea how anyone could say a draw wouldn't have been a fair result.

There's a difference between it being a tight game and suggesting they were somehow robbed.

It went as Warne planned. Hold them at arms length and hit them at pace or from a dead ball.  We did that and then largely they created very little.

5 hours ago, Rambam said:

Bolton’s own highlights suggests there was only one team it, as they showed all their chances but only our goal at the end. You wouldn’t think we had a lot more chances than them, with an equal number on target (3).

The EFL's ten minute highlights didn't show Nelson's header, but showed every Bolton chance...

WOW,,,, think that covers yesterday, the whole day was ducking WOW ,

second v third must not lose game and that’s what we got , 

what swung the game to a narrow derby win ?
1. The culture Paul warne has built and is building at derby from bringing in the right type of people as players to fitness to those players being treated in a way that makes them want to run through brick walls for the shirt and the manager,

2. the fans , our fans , my tribe , premier league ? You can keep that , yesterday was a league 1 game and you couldn’t touch that , it’s why I fell and stayed in love with derby all these years , yeah we have some moaners on here but they just drift into insignificance when you are in the ground and supporting your team, where we are and supposed standard of football mean nothing when put against yesterday, if you are not moved by yesterday and oh so glad you were in the ground or wishing to hell you were there then football is not for you ,

I was moved big style by the fans and warne interaction at the end , he didn’t bounce but that’s a mark of the man , im sure he will bounce if/ when he actually delivers the prize , he’s not lampard ,

for me warne is manager next season no matter what division we are in

Edited by Archied

6 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

My favourite decision was where Waghorn punched it into the net and he didn’t give it. 

Professional and resilient is my description for yesterday.  After a 5-0 win in the week they were full of confidence.  They played some nice football and we had be strong and well organised. Wildsmith probably had his best game of the season and his saves were just as important as the goal. Cashin was my MoM, I thought he was superb all game.

Hourihane was missing for me.  He had a few passes go astray early on and I think it affected his confidence.  In games like that you look for your captain to be the calming influence but it wasn’t there.  I think Thompson’s energy added a lot in the 2nd half.  The subs in the last 2 games show how much we’re going to need all of the squad.  It’s a shame Gayle is injured, hopefully not for too long.  The flip side is we have players back for the run in.  It seems like it’s 1 in, 1 out at the moment.

Game 4 of an important month out of the way.

8 hours ago, NorwichExile said:

My Fitbit gave me a warning about my heart rate hitting 130 during the last few minutes, which says it all! God it was an ugly match, but last season we lose that 2 or 3 nil and I'm absolutely buzzing that we managed to bulldoze our way over the line.

What a player Sheehan looked for them, though. If we do get over the line, I'd love us to pick him up.

Sheehan drove me to distraction. Constantly fouling Adams off the ball, moaning at the ref, claiming throws that were even disputable. Huge credit to Ebou who never lost his cool and just seemed to enjoy the 1 v 1 battle 

11 hours ago, ap04 said:

Two students sit a set on exams on a subject, rule is the one with the most A+'s (goals) passes with all other efforts (chances) chucked away - equal both fail.

Student A gets A+ B C D (and passes), student B gets A A B C (and fails). Was A clearly the better student, or lucky to have passed?

Confused Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter