Match Thread: vs Bolton Wanderers (H)

I can't remember the last time I was that nervous at a game.

We scrapped and battled and nicked our goal and dug in. Loved it.

Thanks Paul Warne and the staff, thanks to the players and thanks to everyone who was there cheering on the Rams. A full house in full voice is a marvellous thing.

Emotional day. 7 huge games left. Win 6 of them and we're up.

We deserved that, not because we were better than Bolton but because we stuck at it, grafted and gave everything. Bolton played some good football, runs off the ball, slick passing on the edge of the box but Wildsmith kept their two clear chances out.  Many times on the balance of play we have dropped points despite apparently dominating possession, today it was Bolton’s turn. We had a good first 10, they had a good next 15 then (despite surrendering possession too often) it was an even game but we got the goal. They were tidier, we looked more dangerous on the break. Their No 8 was a nasty narky foul playing knob. 

I often moan about poor first touch, but Elder’s wasn’t t half bad was it 🤪. Loved when early in the second half the crowd had gone quiet and Smithy almost frantically urged to east stand to up it .. they need us and the ground responded.

Wildsmith gets my MOTM because he came up with goods in the line fire but Fozzie has to a pure bred legend, just seamlessly gelled with his teammates, all that experience, directed headers that find white shirts, positioning, timing .. the lot. He is a Ram.

The football has had criticism but TBH, the scheme is ok, but our touch and quality individually will need to be a step better when we go up … and we ducking are ! COYR

Apologies if any of this is a repeat of what's already been said but haven't had time to catch up with the thread yet.

Firstly hats off to Bolton, thought they came and had a decent go. They are probably licking their wounds wondering how they didn't go home with something from that game. I won't begrudge them that as they were much improved from the reverse fixture. Wasn't that impressed with them that day.

Having said all that I don't want to take away from the shift all of the boys put in. Cashin, Fozzy and Nelson in particular were immense. Fozzy quite rightly the MoM. To put in that level of performance after being out so long was beyond impressive. 

Big shout out to Wildsmith too. Two world class saves gave us a platform on which that victory was built.

Absolutely buzzing with that result. Won't be getting much sleep tonight as my adrenaline levels are off the scale.. Trying my best not to get carried away as there will be more twists and turns yet but we are firmly in the driving seat. Every club in that division barring Pompey would love to be in our position right now.

You beautiful bloody Rams. You've caused us all so much heartache  over the years but it just makes moments like this all the sweeter. 

We’ve been on the wrong end of games like today many times in the past so nice to dish one out in such a big game. Bolton are clearly well drilled, definitely easier on the eye than us but don’t have the grit needed to push through these kind of games, whereas we do. 

Any of the back 3 and Wildsmith could’ve been MOTM. Thought Smith and Thompson added a bit of bite when they came on although not hard when you’re a direct replacement for Hourihane, who for all his qualities looks like he’s towing a caravan when he moves. 

Their skipper, Santos, who their fans rave about - did anyone else think he looked absolutely dreadful? Clearly not good on the ball, got caught under 4/5 long balls and offered no threat from set pieces. Might be an off day but wasn’t impressed after reading so much about him.

The ref had a decent game today in such an important game.

He should have given Ward a yellow card early on for a clear pull and inexplicably pulled us back a couple of times when we had a clear advantage, although not in a dangerous position, but nothing that seemed to have any effect on the result.

13 minutes ago, Idiakez said:

Their skipper, Santos, who their fans rave about - did anyone else think he looked absolutely dreadful? Clearly not good on the ball, got caught under 4/5 long balls and offered no threat from set pieces. Might be an off day but wasn’t impressed after reading so much about him.

There was one moment second half when he had all the time and space in the world, and seemed to have a complete mental shutdown resulting in him scuffing the ball out for a throw for no obvious reason. It was really odd. 
Other than that I thought he was ok, big man but fairly mobile, used his size well…..wouldn’t swap him for either of Nelson or Cashin though 💪 

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Hourihane was horrific. Thankfully dragged off. We can’t keep carrying him every game while his legs have so obviously gone. Is Bird back yet?

Spent the whole half waving his leg at the ball in an effort to try and kid people he very nearly got to the tackle. With Ward’s delivery I’m struggling to see what he has to offer in this side/shape.

What a great day out at the Park! The atmosphere was already stoking up while we were outside the South Stand for pre-match supping, and the fans were terrific all match long! Well done you Fans!

It was a fascinating game of football, and it makes a change to see a good team out on the pitch with us. There wasn't a lot in it, and we started well, dispelling my fears that Warne would get us sitting back trying to keep Bolton out and then nicking a win. Only he did, didn't he? The bright start was just a smokescreen, and especially after Gayle went off we were sitting deep. So what? Smith coming on changed the pattern of the game as we started to get more influence in midfield.

The triple substitution could have backfired, but such is the team nowadays that we soldiered on, and at times I thought Thompson was vying for man of the match. A lot of people didn't think he did much, but actually he started knitting the play together, and was having massive influence, because he is high energy, doesn't waste the ball and can spot a pass and can spot an interception. Putting Wilson on was also a great substitution - Bolton didn't know what to do with him - a bit curious because it turns out they tried to sign him a while ago!

And although Bolton seemed steady and composed, when we attacked and put the pressure on, their backline looked like it was on the verge of panicking, and most certainly weren't comfortable with high balls. It is hard to single players out because no-one was holding anything back today, but Wildsmith, Fozzy and Adams deserve our thanks.

And the ref - I know you are all waiting for this! Well, it was 28 minutes before I booed him! He did pretty well, although there a few poor decisions, the main one being Adams getting hauled to the ground on the edge of the 6 yard box late on in the match. Oh, and chasing after Fozzy for his first offence immediately after dipping out of a run of 3 or 4 handball decisions in a row. But given that in a match of this importance we can normally depend on the ref to cost us, he did just fine!

My only regret is that we have come across a way of playing the works, that wins games and actually looks like football. But today we took several steps back to Warne's percentages football. Again, so what? We won. But please, Paul, don't abandon the football, because we are good enough to play that way and win.

We are in a very strong position now, effectively making 2nd place all our own, and ours to lose or throw away. We are going up! And we have left our closest rival trailing in our dust!

COME ON YOU RAMS!!!

Well I actually enjoyed the the football today.  We were well organised and resolute and generally made good decisions.  I like Hourihane and think he is doing his best for the team, but there's no way I would have started him in what is basically a two man midfield against Bolton. Against lesser teams our wing backs can push back their opposite numbers and wrestle some kind of control, but that was unlikely to work against Bolton.  I was definitely in favour of bringing on Smith for Gayle, even with Waggy on the bench.  One - nil to Bolton would have been a fair half time score, but the whole team deserve credit for keeping them out although Wildsmith, Adams and the back three will obviously take most of the plaudits.  The way we played in the second half was not very Derby like - complete focus at the expense of free flowing football and no slip ups.  We did go for a second goal though which I really liked, as it meant the ball was in and around the Bolton area for a spell of six or seven minutes and therefore nowhere near our goal.

Bolton are a good squad with a continuity of management and building of the team over several seasons.  To be four points above them at this point of only our second season in this division is a fantastic achievement - especially when you take into account our injury record and our inability to spend money on transfers.  Within 18 months we've gone from nearly no players to the brink of a record points haul.  Yes there are some potential areas of concern, but they can wait till the end of the season.  For now I'm going to bask in our greatest victory since L***s. UTR

37 minutes ago, Idiakez said:

We gave him far too much time and respect when he was in possession as they built from the back. We did exactly the same in the reverse fixture.

Every time he got the ball he was allowed to stride out unchallenged and gain 10/15 yards of ground. 

It happened so often I could only conclude that it was a deliberate tactic by us to drag him out of position and then press him.

It didn't really work to our advantage and I would have liked to see us press him sooner and put him under some pressure. I think we would have gotten more change out of him that way.  He had a relatively easy afternoon in that respect. 

34 minutes ago, ram59 said:

He should have given Ward a yellow card early on for a clear pull and inexplicably pulled us back a couple of times when we had a clear advantage, although not in a dangerous position, but nothing that seemed to have any effect on the result.

Plenty of refs would have given NML a red 

36 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Yes, I thought he did well. Wardy was lucky, their 8 should have been booked, but he saw several handballs both deliberate and accidental, wasn’t t a fussy big I am. Missed one chance to play advantage but was up with play and gave good quick decisions the majority of time. You couldn’t reasonably ask for more. 

A few quickfire thoughts from me on todays game:

- Curtis Nelson might well be the signing of the season. Followed closely by Kane Wilson.

- Forsyth was good today but I was very surprised that the MoM award didn’t go to either Wildsmith or Cashin. Both kept us in the game at times.

- We need to begin moving on from Hourihane now. He is just not offering enough and his tracking back is very poor. Thompson and Adams in the middle for me, going forward.

- Derby fans are great. 

49 minutes ago, Idiakez said:

Santos, who their fans rave about - did anyone else think he looked absolutely dreadful? Clearly not good on the ball, got caught under 4/5 long balls and offered no threat from set pieces. Might be an off day but wasn’t impressed after reading so much about him.

I thought he looked like a beast in the first half and was thinking he'd slot in nicely between Cash and Nelson in a back three.  However it was obvious he is not great on the ball as our staff had devised a press which completely ignored him.  Some of the fans were not happy we were letting him have the ball with zero pressure, but to me it must have been deliberate.  It seemed to work too, as I don't remember him doing anything with the ball at his feet all match.