Match Thread: vs Port Vale (H)

Rampant

4 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Yes. Its the word "infield". Where on earth is that?

If your on the wing hugging the touchline to get the ball, should you not be getting it, you need to move infield away from the touchline to collect it.  That's not midfield, its anticipating collecting the ball away from the touchline, then carrying it yourself down said touchline. 

9 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I do see what everyone’s saying, that’s my point, there can’t even be a calm objective chat about how we might like to see the side line up before the game tomorrow without people making their thoughts on Warne repeatedly known.

I have long since accepted Warne is the manager, posters who can’t accept that repeatedly and REPEATEDLY shouting about him and his approach across every thread isn’t changing that fact, it just makes the forum pretty much unreadable. There can’t be any dialogue without people jumping in with digs about Warne, it’s pretty much an echo chamber of the same comments on here at the moment regardless of what the thread is supposed to be about. 

Also my earlier post says I want us set up to have a go and win comfortably. I don’t think it’s how Warne will set us up but it’s sometimes just nice trying to discuss the team and the prospects for tomorrow without the negativity. 

You see I’m with you , if there’s one area I’m concerned with warne it’s the fact he is struggling to get it right at home in front of our large fan base and I’m honest and fair enough to say warne has to take a big slice of the blame for that , just like I give him credit for stuff I think is good , I’ve seen him put out what looks like attacking sides and seen him put out what looks too negative ( some of both those things are injury driven ) and the result can often turn out to surprise with either ,,,

for me it’s a mindset thing and that’s the managers job when all said and done over a season , he has to put a team out that gets the job done , I don’t see these players all week in training , I don’t know who is carrying a knock so I don’t tend to go overboard when I see a team sheet regards personnel and set up , we have a decent squad and I expect better no matter how he goes about it , it’s his job on the line ,,, away from home I have to give credit as he has in the main got it right and those lucky away fans have done lots of celebrating at the final whistle,

no doubt a few will be on to tell me how wrong i am , how dire it is away and how that away form is in spite of warne with no credit due,

one would think the above was fair in terms of credit where due and pointing out some failings but you just know someone like @ Chrismartin will be on to tell me how very wrong I am or tell me he doesn’t understand 😂

Must-win games are something of a cliché, I suppose, but you'd have to think that anything less than 3 points today would be a serious dent in any aspirations towards the auto slots. Not just from a points perspective, but perhaps more importantly for the morale of the entire club and its fanbase. It's hard to understand or accept the way we have capitulated from bright starts over the last few games and I think the players and the coaches have to be putting down a clear marker today. I also think we've been very lucky indeed in that those immediately around us have underperformed too and the pack who were way back even a few games ago, are now right on our heels and we need to show vastly more character today than has been the case of late. The gaffer must lead the way in terms of how he sets up and what message he conveys to the players, likewise the lads themselves, who simply must be braver. I can't accept that experienced pros who routinely fail to execute the even basics, do so solely because of the coach. 

As for the team selection, I'll admit I'm finding it hard with the injury list still substantial and some players looking short of match sharpness. It's very clear to see how much damage the absences of both starting FBs has done and still it goes on with Ryan now crocked again and Fozzy only just back in training. My finger in the air selection with suggested alternatives / subs would be...

image.png.767b48fab7c391ff04643c4efb164ac8.png

The formation would be a not uncommon variation on a 4-3-3, but with a focus on deploying players where they typically play best and with the aim of providing some balance whereby we have our lefties deployed on the left where possible, likewise the righties on the right. This means I have the mildly controversial pick of Joe Ward at RB, but I don't believe we've seen anything like the best of him as yet and I'd be reasonably confident that he is the best cover for the absent Nyambe, with Korey Smith starting in MF.

For much the same reason, I'd have Elder at LB. He's the nearest to like for like with Fozzy and like Fozz, he can whip the ball in early and at pace and that may well play to Gayle's strengths more than floated balls delivered from out wide. Nelson and Cashin pick themselves and Wildsmith retains my slightly diminished confidence in the 1 spot. Bradley drops from the starting line up as he looks best in a back 3 and I'm hoping that's not our preferred route today. Bradley has become a hate-figure for some, but he's shown he's a decent player. Sadly, the system he seems to need to prosper seems to suit him far more than any other current personnel. I don't mind a back 5 as an attacking set up, I just don't like it for us when we're trying to keep things tight and if I had to play one formation, it wouldn't be a back 5.

Midfield is an even bigger quandary and while I'll doubtless get pulled up over it, I've plumped for Bird and Smith either side of Ebou. Hourihane seems to wander too deep to make use of his passing ability and I think Korey and Max could do some damage today with Ebou screening the back four to give them the required freedom.

Up top, Barks starts on the left with doubts in my mind as to CBT's fitness. Neither has looked great in recent games, though CBT has clearly had an issue of some sort. I'd look to give him 30 minutes to show what he can do against tired legs, assuming that's not beyond him.

Gayle to start at 9 and notch his first goal for the Rams today, with Nate restored to the flanks where he most often prospers. Wags and Wilson to provide energy when Gayle and Nate tire, with Sibs a wildcard depending on how things stand. Louie's been trying hard to improve his team-play of late and I'd hope he'd continue to get gametime. He must show more than last time out though, as he won't get many more chances if he doesn't.

As it is, I'm going with a 3-0 win and Gayle to net first today, but in truth we simply must secure the win today, however we play. Anything less, is nowhere near enough, now we've squandered our advantage with back-to-back losses. A huge step up is then the order of the day and a resounding win with a clean sheet the aim.

So that's my pointless attempt to pick a team, which will doubtless resemble PW's selection not one iota 😂 

COYR

Edited by Comrade 86

9 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I think IF Warne can get the lineup right, and the team execute things like they were a couple of months back we do.

Warne’s approach (in my opinion) has always leant itself well to scoring early then as the opponent chases the game we exploit it using our better players and slightly improved fitness. It’s happened in games this season, but somehow the last few weeks has seen that approach evaporate and we score early then wet the bed and retreat inviting the opposition to get back into things. Whether that’s Warne, the players, or most likely a combination of both they need to sort it asap so we can get back some positive momentum. 

@Dcfcsr92 care to express with words what it is in my above post that deserves a laughing emoji? It’s just my opinion of course based on the results that have happened of late compared to earlier in the season, but I don’t see what’s wrong with my observations so perhaps you can enlighten me with conversation? 
Have we or have we not won games this season by taking the lead then scoring more as the opposition chase the game? Burton away, Peterborough away (granted they scored first), Blackpool away, Exeter home and away, Barnsley at home, Fleetwood away, Northampton at home, Burton at home (until we had an inexplicable brief collapse and found a late winner).
There are examples where Warne’s approach to scoring first chaotic football has proved fruitful, if we can get back to that over for these last games of the season, as I think it’s clear we’re not going to be controlling many (if any) games, then that’s probably the most likely route to success. Just my opinion of course but it’s based on some observed logic. 

23 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

@Dcfcsr92 care to express with words what it is in my above post that deserves a laughing emoji? It’s just my opinion of course based on the results that have happened of late compared to earlier in the season, but I don’t see what’s wrong with my observations so perhaps you can enlighten me with conversation? 
Have we or have we not won games this season by taking the lead then scoring more as the opposition chase the game? Burton away, Peterborough away (granted they scored first), Blackpool away, Exeter home and away, Barnsley at home, Fleetwood away, Northampton at home, Burton at home (until we had an inexplicable brief collapse and found a late winner).
There are examples where Warne’s approach to scoring first chaotic football has proved fruitful, if we can get back to that over for these last games of the season, as I think it’s clear we’re not going to be controlling many (if any) games, then that’s probably the most likely route to success. Just my opinion of course but it’s based on some observed logic. 

I think many of Warne's critics seek to explain their grievances sensibly. Sadly, this lad or lass ain't one of them.

I'd just move along if you value your sanity. Frankly, I'd view that particular laughing emoji as a badge of honour 🙊

On a slight tangent, I think our support at games has been excellent recently, home and away. It does seem to me that most who go to games are at least trying to lift the players and coaches and I really hope we see that again today, even if things don't immediately click. Big game for the players AND the fans then as while we may not need a '12th man' today, it certainly wouldn't hurt our chances.

#BEMOREB4

Edited by Comrade 86

8 minutes ago, valakari said:

About mindset....why does he continually say the opposition "are a good team", "its going to be a hard game" etc etc etc...how about, "we are a good team and we will win"

Stop worrying about them and concentrate on being good at what we can do!!!

I don't know why some fans can't get their heads around the likelihood that Warne and his coaches give a very different speeches to the players than they do to the outside world via media previews and pcs. I doubt that the players regularly watch or listen to those interviews, so saying publicly "we will win" probably only motivates the opposition (if they get to hear about it).

1 minute ago, Crewton said:

I don't know why some fans can't get their heads around the likelihood that Warne and his coaches give a very different speeches to the players than they do to the outside world via media previews and pcs. I doubt that the players regularly watch or listen to those interviews, so saying publicly "we will win" probably only motivates the opposition (if they get to hear about it).

So are you saying only the fans of both teams hear Warne saying how good the opposition are?

Reset today forget what's gone need 6 wins in march all winnable games for a team gunning for the top 2

wildsmith

wilson

elder

nelson 

cashin

adams

bird 

hourihane

nml

cbt

gayle

loach 

bradley

ward

smith

sibley

barks

wags

1 hour ago, valakari said:

About mindset....why does he continually say the opposition "are a good team", "its going to be a hard game" etc etc etc...how about, "we are a good team and we will win"

Stop worrying about them and concentrate on being good at what we can do!!!

Haven't we had this conversation before? Do you not realise that what he says in press conferences is for public consumption and it's only right that he shows respect to the opposition (regardless of how rubbish they may be). Who, in their right minds, wants to hear him say in a press conference "we will will win this one"? Do you think that if Man City had played Maidstone in the FA Cup Pep would have said "we will win this"?

As for worrying, who says he is worrying? I just see it as him as either a) just saying something to sound polite and/or b) recognising that regardless of what position the opposition are in they may pose some kind of threat.

It feels a bit like groundhog day but I'll repeat what I said last time you raised this further excuse to have a moan at PW: I'm convinced that what he says publicly and what he says to the players is very unlikely to be the same thing. I'm sure (and hope) than when he speaks to the players he will be telling them that this is definitely a game we should be winning. However, even in that more private conversation, I'm sure, whilst wanting to instilling confidence he will be wary being complacent.

I really don't understand why you, and those that liked your post, can't see this and seem to take such comments way too seriously.

57 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So are you saying only the fans of both teams hear Warne saying how good the opposition are?

Do you really not think there may be chance that PW may say to the players something along the lines of "I know I said how good the opposition are in my press conference but that was just for the public. We shouldn't have anything to fear - this is a game we should be winning. However, let's not be complacent. There still may be ways they can hurt us if we're not on our game"?

9 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Haven't we had this conversation before? Do you not realise that what he says in press conferences is for public consumption and it's only right that he shows respect to the opposition (regardless of how rubbish they may be). Who, in their right minds, wants to hear him say in a press conference "we will will win this one"? Do you think that if Man City had played Maidstone in the FA Cup Pep would have said "we will win this"?

As for worrying, who says he is worrying? I just see it as him as either a) just saying something to sound polite and/or b) recognising that regardless of what position the opposition are in they may pose some kind of threat.

It feels a bit like groundhog day but I'll repeat what I said last time you raised this further excuse to have a moan at PW: I'm convinced that what he says publicly and what he says to the players is very unlikely to be the same thing. I'm sure (and hope) than when he speaks to the players he will be telling them that this is definitely a game we should be winning. However, even in that more private conversation, I'm sure, whilst wanting to instilling confidence he will be wary being complacent.

I really don't understand why you, and those that liked your post, can't see this and seem to take such comments way too seriously.

Couldn’t agree more, Pep said about Luton pre match via Man City’s website;

Guardiola expects the Hatters to provide just as tough a proposition this time around.

“They have the courage to play, face the challenge without any fear, and after it’s not just that,” he said.

“They play direct into channels they have ability to build up the patterns are so clear.

“They play really, really good with the football. Quite similar to Bournemouth for the way they play but it’s Premier League and the FA Cup and I would not expect different from my experience these years I have been in England.”

It’s common practice for managers at all levels to offer some well mannered professional courtesy towards their opponents.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I agree with this, as all managers will say things differently in the dressing room. So we can only go by what we see on the pitch.

Going to 5 at the back after scoring. Ignoring midfield as the opposition are "too good" to match up to. Sitting deeper as a match goes on. Leaving it far too late in matches to make changes. Having the last 10 mins of matches be a frantic game of "throw the kitchen sink at it" after spending 80 minutes not bothering to attack.

The above all adds weight to the argument that we do worry a bit too much about the opposition, rather than take the game to them. It's that football cliche of giving the opponent too much respect when you come up against bigger teams. Except we do it against effing Crewe.

I understand that everyone sees the game differently, and what I see as negative might be seen as prudent by others. I'm just an old romantic, and I want some risk and excitement in my football. I hate the percentage game. I want to be on the edge of my seat. Hopefully today gives us all some of that.

9 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

If your on the wing hugging the touchline to get the ball, should you not be getting it, you need to move infield away from the touchline to collect it.  That's not midfield, its anticipating collecting the ball away from the touchline, then carrying it yourself down said touchline. 

Oh. You mean “move inside”. 

12 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Couldn’t agree more, Pep said about Luton pre match via Man City’s website;

Guardiola expects the Hatters to provide just as tough a proposition this time around.

“They have the courage to play, face the challenge without any fear, and after it’s not just that,” he said.

“They play direct into channels they have ability to build up the patterns are so clear.

“They play really, really good with the football. Quite similar to Bournemouth for the way they play but it’s Premier League and the FA Cup and I would not expect different from my experience these years I have been in England.”

It’s common practice for managers at all levels to offer some well mannered professional courtesy towards their opponents.

I guess we shouldn’t be surprised really. Just the usual suspects trying to find any opportunity to have a pop at PW. 

3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I guess we shouldn’t be surprised really. Just the usual suspects trying to find any opportunity to have a pop at PW. 

Who are you having a pop at? 😄 There's a difference between professional courtesy, and setting up the team to play as if the opposition threat is what you're saying in public. If only Warne set up the team based on how he supposedly does his behind closed doors team talks?

13 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

We got it from all the other posts you’ve made in this thread today, you don’t rate Warne and you don’t think he’ll pick a good team or set us up to win. You don’t need to keep repeating it, we hear you, others have seen the posts I’m sure, I’m openly acknowledging it, hopefully you feel validated now.

I’ve actually rated warne a lot through the season. When we had the purple patch and he picked a more front thinking team and took the game to the opposition and made forward thinking subs. Played 4 at the back. Since posh on New Year’s Day he has reverted back to the end of last season where he has become overly negative in games and sets us up depending on what the opposition does and tries to hold on to a goal lead from the start of the second half. The warning sign was theee when Charlton hit the post from a corner and started to gain control and he did nothing to try and get a foothold again to get us up the pitch when we couldn’t get out 

9 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Pardon 😉