Match Thread: vs Port Vale (H)

Rampant

30 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Haven't we had this conversation before? Do you not realise that what he says in press conferences is for public consumption and it's only right that he shows respect to the opposition (regardless of how rubbish they may be). Who, in their right minds, wants to hear him say in a press conference "we will will win this one"? Do you think that if Man City had played Maidstone in the FA Cup Pep would have said "we will win this"?

As for worrying, who says he is worrying? I just see it as him as either a) just saying something to sound polite and/or b) recognising that regardless of what position the opposition are in they may pose some kind of threat.

It feels a bit like groundhog day but I'll repeat what I said last time you raised this further excuse to have a moan at PW: I'm convinced that what he says publicly and what he says to the players is very unlikely to be the same thing. I'm sure (and hope) than when he speaks to the players he will be telling them that this is definitely a game we should be winning. However, even in that more private conversation, I'm sure, whilst wanting to instilling confidence he will be wary being complacent.

I really don't understand why you, and those that liked your post, can't see this and seem to take such comments way too seriously.

Yes, but what you don’t seem to understand is that it matters not what Paul Warne says, and you will never know what is said in the dressing room.

It is what Paul Warne DOES that is the point of contention.

Remember the phrase ‘actions speak louder than words’?

Well what I saw, at home against low flying Charlton, was a starting Derby team made up of 7 defensive-minded players.

So, regardless of what is said, he is blatantly showing the away team far too much respect; he seems too worried about THEM.

I remember the ‘glory’ football under McClaren and he had a simple mantra, 5 defensive players / 5 attacking players.

So, whatever is being said to the players in the dressing room is a moot point, but what does putting a team sheet out, at home, with 7 defensive minded outfield players SAY to the players? 

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Who are you having a pop at? 😄 There's a difference between professional courtesy, and setting up the team to play as if the opposition threat is what you're saying in public. If only Warne set up the team based on how he supposedly does his behind closed doors team talks?

This particular debate is about what PW said in his pre match press conference. I’m saying anyone who is criticising Warne for showing the opposition some respect in a press conference but doesn’t accept the concept that what he says to the players behind closed could be a tad different is probably either a little naive or just looking for another chance to have a pop at Warne. 

1 hour ago, valakari said:

About mindset....why does he continually say the opposition "are a good team", "its going to be a hard game" etc etc etc...how about, "we are a good team and we will win"

Stop worrying about them and concentrate on being good at what we can do!!!

If Warne came out and said something like “Port Vale are a bit rubbish aren’t they?  That’s why they’re in a relegation scrap.  Us on the other hand, we’re bloomin’ marvellous, that’s why we’re 2nd.  We’ll go out a stuff these as we’re loads better, the table doesn’t lie” then he’s done Darren Moore’s team talk for him.

After seeing Kane's prematch interview where he's 'headlined' as a defender I think we might go accidently attacking 😉

Wildsmith

Wilson Nelson Bradley Cashin

Adams Hourihane

NML Bird Barks

Gayle

5 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

This particular debate is about what PW said in his pre match press conference. I’m saying anyone who is criticising Warne for showing the opposition some respect in a press conference but doesn’t accept the concept that what he says to the players behind closed could be a tad different is probably either a little naive or just looking for another chance to have a pop at Warne. 

Unfortunately of late, his pre match interviews to the press have been replicated by what we are seeing on the pitch….don’t you think?

3 minutes ago, Birdyabroad said:

Yes, but what you don’t seem to understand is that it matters not what Paul Warne says, and you will never know what is said in the dressing room.

It is what Paul Warne DOES that is the point of contention.

Remember the phrase ‘actions speak louder than words’?

Well what I saw, at home against low flying Charlton, was a starting Derby team made up of 7 defensive-minded players.

So, regardless of what is said, he is blatantly showing the away team far too much respect; he seems too worried about THEM.

I remember the ‘glory’ football under McClaren and he had a simple mantra, 5 defensive players / 5 attacking players.

So, whatever is being said to the players in the dressing room is a moot point, but what does putting a team sheet out, at home, with 7 defensive minded outfield players SAY to the players? 

So if it matters not what Paul Warne says, why are some people criticising him (or liking the criticism) for what he said in a press conference? 

As for your assumption that I don’t seem to understand, I think it’s wrong to say that it doesn’t matter what he says. I agree that it doesn’t really matter what he says in the press conference (that’s kind of my point) but it absolutely matters what he says to the players. Anyone that has managed people will know that.

Maybe he is showing the other team too much respect but not in what he says in a press conference which is what we’re talking about.

2 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Unfortunately of late, his pre match interviews to the press have been replicated by what we are seeing on the pitch….don’t you think?

Quite possibly/probably but as others have said, even Pep shows respect and recognises the potential threat of a much lower opposition in his press conferences.

Nobody need worry today. I’m not going to be there as feeling poorly. But that will definitely mean the performance of the season and a 6-0 tanking of poor Port Vale. It will be a case of PW’s teamtalk being something along the lines of “Hear Lazlo (not his real name) isn’t coming today, so we can take a break from making him miserable and revert to all out total football! Do you hear me, you can pass it through the middle and everything!”

As I refuse to listen to Radio Derby, particularly as it would make me feel even more ill, I shall be relying on you good people to provide me with your normal upbeat, informative and not at all knee jerk reactions to what is going on. Sure I’ll feel better in no time 😘

14 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

People keep suggesting teams with a flat back 4 not including Bradley. Thats just not going to happen you know it. 

That's it, get us on back on track talking about Warne's poor tactics.... as opposed to his poor team talks.😜

If we lose today the **** will hit the fan that's for sure... be nice to just talk about football rather than regurgitating the same arguments over and over.

Edited by Chester40

14 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

That's it, get is on back on track talking about Warne's poor tactics.... as opposed to his poor team talks.😜

If we lose today the **** will hit the fan that's for sure... be nice to just talk about football rather than regurgitating the same arguments over and over.

Saved me the trouble. Much more polite too, though my intended response used fewer words 🤔😋

Edited by Comrade 86

40 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

I’ve actually rated warne a lot through the season. When we had the purple patch and he picked a more front thinking team and took the game to the opposition and made forward thinking subs. Played 4 at the back. Since posh on New Year’s Day he has reverted back to the end of last season where he has become overly negative in games and sets us up depending on what the opposition does and tries to hold on to a goal lead from the start of the second half. The warning sign was theee when Charlton hit the post from a corner and started to gain control and he did nothing to try and get a foothold again to get us up the pitch when we couldn’t get out 

I get that, I’m well aware of his tactical limitations having watched the majority of games during his tenure and passed comment on it myself before, no argument there.

It was more the point that you’d made 4 or 5 posts in fairly quick succession on the matchday thread all carrying not so subtle digs at Warne, I felt by acknowledging your posts you’d maybe feel your point had been made and we could get away from that sentiment for a bit.

9 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Saved me the trouble. Much more polite too, though my intended response used fewer words 🤔😋

I'm not sure why Comrade, I didn't talk about Warne or his tactics. I'm just saying that Bradley will play whether its a 5 with wing backs or a 4 with Cashin at left back 

Feels weird but we just need to forget the last two games and start again.

really feels like winning five or six in a row at this point will be enough for promotion. 

Hopefully getting more options at the top of the pitch, Gayle and waghorn be fitter each game. Sibley at 10 seems a no brainer in our situation currently, he at least gets shots off.

just a back to basics 4231 seems to be the way forward on this, as many round pegs in round holes as possible. The extra defender is not making us any better defensively and hinders us offensively.

5 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

I'm not sure why Comrade, I didn't talk about Warne or his tactics. I'm just saying that Bradley will play whether its a 5 with wing backs or a 4 with Cashin at left back 

I was joking Gerry, but my initial post does very clearly close with the 'So that's my pointless attempt to pick a team, which will doubtless resemble PW's selection not one iota 😂' so your comment did seem somewhat redundant. 

11 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

Feels weird but we just need to forget the last two games and start again.

really feels like winning five or six in a row at this point will be enough for promotion. 

Hopefully getting more options at the top of the pitch, Gayle and waghorn be fitter each game. Sibley at 10 seems a no brainer in our situation currently, he at least gets shots off.

just a back to basics 4231 seems to be the way forward on this, as many round pegs in round holes as possible. The extra defender is not making us any better defensively and hinders us offensively.

PW has to focus and pick a team that will deliver results, its no use having one or two  great individual performances if the team loses !!