Match Thread: vs Port Vale (H)

Rampant

1 minute ago, Rampant said:

Wildsmith 

Wilson         Nelson     Cashin          Elder

Adams          Smith

NML                Bird                 CBT

Gayle

(Loach, Ward, Bradley, Sibley, Thompson, Waghorn, Barkhuizen) 

It would be nice to see one or more of Bardell, D Robinson, Fapetu, Weston and Allen make the bench at some point if the more established and experienced players continue to underwhelm. It would also give many of us fans a boost too I reckon.

Agree, but only if there’s a chance they’ll get on. Sticking them on the bench repeatedly but then bringing on just about everyone else must get deflating for them after a while.

I don’t see what we have to lose. The fact that senior players are on the bench is an indication of their poor form. Let the young’uns have 15 minutes. You could unearth a treasure.

Formation ? Names in a hat.. Result ? No bloody idea. That's not being negative, I genuinely have no clue. Bounce-back victory and comfortable win or back to dross again, or anywhere in between. Whatever else we need a formation where the players understand what they are doing and for several players to significantly raise their game. Oh and don't hand the opposition soft goals... oh and score some... er.. sorted.. possibly

I reckon the main man/ goal threat will start up top

Dropped Wildsmith for 'something different really', Wildsmith hasn't been running hard enough 

5 at the back! by pass the midfield so fast the opposition will be found sleeping, Pinball passing pinging it with toe pokes, knock downs, and get it to NML who will run 30 yards to knock it in! 

Thompson

Wilson  Smith Nelson Cashin Sibley   

Adams

Hourihane     Bird

NML                              Waghorn

Bradley 

Edited by TheRamOfSwad

15 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Wildsmith

Wilson   Nelson   Cashin   Sibley

Adams   Smith   

Barkhuizen   Bird   Mendez-Laing

Gayle

Subs: Evans, Bradley, Thompson, DRobinson, Fornah, Blackett-Taylor, Waghorn

That's quite attacking full backs for a back 4. Looks a small team too.

I'll think he'll go 3 at the back if Nyambe and/or Elder isn't fit.

Should play either 4231 or 433 and go for it. But alas we'll play 5 at the back, probably Wilson as RWB if Nyambe is out and it'll be the same old dross.

That said i think even with Warne doing as his pleases we'll win this one.

Wildsmith

Ward   Nelson   Cashin   Sibley 

Adams.  
                                  Bird                 Hourihane 

Mendez-Laing            Gayle             Blackett-Taylor

Season 8 Brooklyn 99 GIF by NBC

1 hour ago, Foreveram said:

That’s not good enough, I have things to do tomorrow, get him gone and replaced with someone who will be happy to do Thursday PC.

Should I start a new thread about this🤷🏻‍♂️

Put it in the Warney thread..

42 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Wildsmith

Ward   Nelson   Cashin   Sibley 

Adams.  
                                  Bird                 Hourihane 

Mendez-Laing            Gayle             Blackett-Taylor

Season 8 Brooklyn 99 GIF by NBC

Ward isn’t a right back…

9 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Ward isn’t a right back…

He must be ………I read it on the clubs tinternet thingy!

“The 27-year-old, who can play at right full-back or on the wing, joins the Rams having spent a successful five-and-a-half seasons with the Posh.”

43 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

He must be ………I read it on the clubs tinternet thingy!

“The 27-year-old, who can play at right full-back or on the wing, joins the Rams having spent a successful five-and-a-half seasons with the Posh.”

He can play wing back agreed…not a full back though…

A mate of mine watched Vale away to Cheltenham recently and he said they were utter sh*t, stealing a living, not even trying, etc. So this just has to be a win. I think getting into them early, getting a goal, and keeping the pressure up has to be the aim. They will fold.

I'd like to see an attacking line-up with CBT and NML running at them, wingbacks pushing on, Adams bossing the midfield and shielding the CBs, Bird causing problems (for Port Vale) in the middle. Gayle has given glimpses of his touch & movement, which should keep them occupied. I guess Wilson will be at RWB, I'd go for Sibley on the left.

I'll also be sacrificing a fatted calf to the mighty sun god Ra to try and encourage Pompey, Bolton, and Barnsley to drop points.

17 hours ago, Barney1991 said:

Pre match press conference just in. Port vale are a good team with good players we have to match them. I’ll sort the formation and tactics depending on what they do and we need to start feeling good about ourselves and come away feeling handsome 

They might also have a midfield player on the pitch,so we will bypass midfield to nullify that threat

5 minutes ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

A mate of mine watched Vale away to Cheltenham recently and he said they were utter sh*t, stealing a living, not even trying, etc. So this just has to be a win. I think getting into them early, getting a goal, and keeping the pressure up has to be the aim. They will fold.

I'd like to see a different approach.

Perhaps a slow, laborious first half, with maybe 2 corners and one half-hearted shot on goal.
Then a good 30 mins of the second half being... erm... even less productive.
Then bring on a ruck of defenders to hopefully seal the draw, after 14k fans have already departed "to beat the traffic"*, before... wait... wtf... it's just gone in off Gayle's ar5e!

By Jove, It's back on!  Arise Sir Warne of Bobbleshire!

*Traffic my ar5e!  🙄

When I was sat down at the front of the stand in October/November we had a decent run of results against lower teams, playing a 4-2-3-1. 

I recall Fozzy and NML playing really well at that time, probably encouraged by my very loud vocal support for said players (I could almost reach out and touch them!) 😂

Now I'm back up in the lofty atmosphere of the West Stand Upper we need someone else to make that racket. It obviously worked! 😉

Or perhaps PW just needs to play a more positive formation? 😄

Incidentally, the game we won 4-0 against Northampton Conor Washington led the line, with Barks and NML either side and Bird in that advanced role. I see no reason why Gayle can't do what Washington did that day.