Paul Warne

Day

49 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I reckon that this will spur on Warne to revert to 3 at the back. If he's going to fail, he might as well fail using the formation he prefers. My money is on another centre back signing very soon.

I also wonder if Warne is too picky when looking for centre forwards. We obviously need a target man, but I've heard the manager saying he wants a number 9 to be able to run in behind and press and be a goalscorer. We're just not going to get a tall, strong, super fit, goalscoring, team player who is a wonderful person for £1.85. I think the best we'll get is a hulking great donkey, who will let the wide players do the running.

Oh crap, we're talking about Michael Smith again, aren't we! 🙂

51 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I reckon that this will spur on Warne to revert to 3 at the back. If he's going to fail, he might as well fail using the formation he prefers. My money is on another centre back signing very soon.

I also wonder if Warne is too picky when looking for centre forwards. We obviously need a target man, but I've heard the manager saying he wants a number 9 to be able to run in behind and press and be a goalscorer. We're just not going to get a tall, strong, super fit, goalscoring, team player who is a wonderful person for £1.85. I think the best we'll get is a hulking great donkey, who will let the wide players do the running.

Warne has always been at pains to point out that he will only get a player in if it improves the team.

I know this comes across as stating the blinking obvious.

I wonder then that this is a subtle reference to the fact that with the scope he has the reason he hasn't got anyone in is because that person doesn't exist for the money he has to play with. 

It all circles back to pre-season for me and how we seemingly bumbled through it.

I just don’t think Warne and the coaches really utilised it well enough and you can see that because the players are not playing with composure, they are not playing like they are familiar with each other or like they understand each other’s roles.

The recruitment team also clearly didn’t utilise that time fully either as we are still ‘2-3 short’ when at this point you should be looking at extra signings as a bonus, not a necessity or a rescue act.

Why are we playing with panic, why are we recruiting with panic? We were promoted in April. I am behind the club but we really need a big few days to get it together and help settle everyone down.

As usual, perspective vanishes after a defeat.

The consensus on Saturday, after 3 league games, was far from downbeat.

Now after a cup exit all has changed. Just remember last season's cup exits, or previous ones under various managers. Our fate in cup games - result or performance - against lower league opposition has little predictive relevance for the season as a whole

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

It all circles back to pre-season for me and how we seemingly bumbled through it.

I just don’t think Warne and the coaches really utilised it well enough and you can see that because the players are not playing with composure, they are not playing like they are familiar with each other or like they understand each other’s roles.

The recruitment team also clearly didn’t utilise that time fully either as we are still ‘2-3 short’ when at this point you should be looking at extra signings as a bonus, not a necessity or a rescue act.

Why are we playing with panic, why are we recruiting with panic? We were promoted in April. I am behind the club but we really need a big few days to get it together and help settle everyone down.

With our relatively limited budget, I think we were always looking to bring in a number of Premier League loans. The reality is, the majority of PL clubs want to hang on to their younger players for as long as they possibly can. I honestly don’t feel it’s down to our recruitment team “not utilising that time fully” that we are still 2-3 players short. My feeling is we’ve been working extremely hard to bring in players but because of financial restrictions and the unwillingness of PL clubs to commit themselves to early loans, it hasn’t happened as we would have liked.

6 hours ago, Jourdan said:

....or like they understand each other’s roles....

Bigger issue was that they didn't seem to understand their own roles.

I couldn't care less that we got knocked out of the cup - but the performance was lacking in so many areas - and most of the issues weren't with the individual players but with the coaching staff and manager who didn't seem to have any sort of game plan - and goodness knows what they spend their time doing in training (fitness drills?).

We can't complete passes with well weighted and accurate balls; there's no obvious plan what to do when we win possession (other than hoof it long and hope one of the quicker players can win the foot race and then create); there's no pressure on the opposition; there's a lack of movement with players frequently standing around waiting for our tedious build up play to catch up with them (if we don't hoof it)....unless Warne is a tactical genius and I'm not seeing it, I don't know what he's asking the team to do - and I don't think they did either....

7 hours ago, S8TY said:

So If you think relegation is a possibility then what can we do about it ? lets not just accept it and give up !

The league table isn't compiled by how much money you have if you're astute and clever and scout some good young players

Give more money to Warne ? Probably don't have the budget as you say, this is not on Clowes at all but last season has been and gone 

At some point we do have to look at the option of could a different manager get our limited squad playing better and being competitive , we seem to turn up like we are underdogs all of the time and why can't we be braver and try and play more , mix our game up , i want Warne to succeed I like the man but if we don't have the funds etc then we need to look how or what we need to do to make sure we don't go down....relegation is not an option and i still believe without spending money we don't have we can stay in this division, but we can't go into every game thinking we are underdogs 

⬆️This! Adapt or accept our fate.  I know which I would prefer.....

8 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

I have no problems at all with playing a back 5 if we have the right personnel.

At the moment when we play that, we have to play Mendez-Laing up front which does not work. He's admitted himself it's not his position.

Playing 3 at the back with Wilson as RWB and Osborn or Elder as LWB is good.

Midfield is fine for it too.

It will mean we don't play with wingers which I am fine with. Because our best winger is Mendez-Laing and he's miles off it in this league.

CBT is a waste of time and Barkhuizen is a terrible footballer.

9 hours ago, tinman said:

I like the guy and would probably like to work for him. But my god the football’s still rubbish. 

That pretty much sums up my own thoughts.

He does come across as the kind of guy I'd be happy to spend the evening in his company, and even from a footballing perspective, I'm no hater, but it seems to be getting grimmer as each month passes.

I'm an easy going guy, and no knee-jerk jerk, and I'm certainly not ready for "Warne Out" chants just yet, but I do wonder how much longer I can hold out.  My biggest aid just lately has been crossed fingers!  There's little else to rely on!

27 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

At the moment when we play that, we have to play Mendez-Laing up front which does not work. He's admitted himself it's not his position.

It will mean we don't play with wingers which I am fine with. Because our best winger is Mendez-Laing and he's miles off it in this league.

3-4-3 is obvious answer to your conundrum, but it doesn’t leave a space for goudmijn who’s supposed to be one our star summer signings.

Its all irrelevant whilst Warne is manager...he isn't up to Championship level.

So how we play is always the problem.

Whoever we play against, he thinks are Brazil.

He destroys the talent out of players and runs them into the ground...look at the permanant injury list...Rooney, Ward, Elder, Washington, Osborn, Wilson, CBT, (John Jules last season).

He is suited to scrapping his way out of Div 1..and fair play to him...

BUT...he is not suited to playing football in the Championship.

David Clowes, please realise this.

1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

Bigger issue was that they didn't seem to understand their own roles.

I couldn't care less that we got knocked out of the cup - but the performance was lacking in so many areas - and most of the issues weren't with the individual players but with the coaching staff and manager who didn't seem to have any sort of game plan - and goodness knows what they spend their time doing in training (fitness drills?).

We can't complete passes with well weighted and accurate balls; there's no obvious plan what to do when we win possession (other than hoof it long and hope one of the quicker players can win the foot race and then create); there's no pressure on the opposition; there's a lack of movement with players frequently standing around waiting for our tedious build up play to catch up with them (if we don't hoof it)....unless Warne is a tactical genius and I'm not seeing it, I don't know what he's asking the team to do - and I don't think they did either....

Just to expand on your second point when it looks bad especially last night the build up play under Warne can look a little bit like American football where the attacking players are just running routes to try and create space rather than ball movement. The midfield then just ends up the task of trying to win the scraps that result from the centre backs forcing it to our attacking players. There's just no intricacy to the build up play which I guess we were able to get away with league 1 but I think as we are beginning to find out will not work so much this season.    

1 hour ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I'd agree with this, but it does bring us back around to the striker problem. Happy with Yates, but he needs a partner better than Collins or Brown.

Really struggling to be on the forum seeing comment after comment which in my opinion is utter garbage.

Warne can never exceed here because the fans are so quickly ready to pounce on him. There's a narrative already set, the story has already been written.

It doesn't help the club in anyway whatsoever. 

Edited by The_Sheriff

11 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Almost 2 years on. 1. The football is still awful

2. Knight, Bird, Sibley gone. He's not onlu failed to integrate a single player from the academy, he also failed to give any of them more than 1.5 90s (135 minutes) on the pitch. How long will Cashin and Thompson stay for? Brown must be scratching his head wondering why other players get chance after chance when playing badly.

3. Increased last season as is standard during a promotion season. We'll see how attendances go as this season progresses - I don't have a good feeling as things stand.

4. The feel good factor picked up at the end of last season, but already seems to be on a fast decline.

I missed reading this last night, tears in my eyes maybe. It's so disheartening losing all our youngsters for peanuts. 

I couldn't care less if Warne and Mother Theresa were separated at birth, his football is mediocre at best and I'm not convinced by the rest of his team either.

Edited by RoyMac5

10 minutes ago, The_Sheriff said:

Really struggling to be on the forum seeing comment after comment which in my opinion is utter garbage.

Warne can never exceed here because the fans are so quickly ready to pounce on him. There's a narrative already set, the story has already been written.

I agree some of it is over the top and he's had his haters from the start. But the football is so poor and after all, its partly an entertainment business. 

Last year i could stomach because we were winning matches, but can't really be arsed to watch us have 30% every match and lose. 

Ironically if we do go down then PW is the 'King of League 1' but there doesn't appear to much enjoyment coming from Derby at the moment. On the pitch - boring, in the transfer market - boring, kits - 2/3 average to poor.

1 minute ago, The_Sheriff said:

While I believe this is true on some posters, evidenced at the end of last season, we're getting to the point where those somewhat more sympathetic to Warne are losing patience.

I was under no illusion that this was going to be a difficult season. I could have taken last night's result a bit better if we were greatly under strength, giving some academy players minutes, or trying a system, but it wasn't. Even the introduction of some of the more established players did very little to change the game.

1 minute ago, Animal is a Ram said:

While I believe this is true on some posters, evidenced at the end of last season, we're getting to the point where those somewhat more sympathetic to Warne are losing patience.

I was under no illusion that this was going to be a difficult season. I could have taken last night's result a bit better if we were greatly under strength, giving some academy players minutes, or trying a system, but it wasn't. Even the introduction of some of the more established players did very little to change the game.

Exactly, what game has been enjoyable since Carlisle? Matlock maybe if you wish to include it. The rest of pre season was honking and Boro was honking as well minus the final whistle going and us somehow finishing with a win.

11 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Almost 2 years on.

1. The football is still awful

2. Knight, Bird, Sibley gone. He's not onlu failed to integrate a single player from the academy, he also failed to give any of them more than 1.5 90s (135 minutes) on the pitch. How long will Cashin and Thompson stay for? Brown must be scratching his head wondering why other players get chance after chance when playing badly.

3. Increased last season as is standard during a promotion season. We'll see how attendances go as this season progresses - I don't have a good feeling as things stand.

4. The feel good factor picked up at the end of last season, but already seems to be on a fast decline.

Brown's not ready for Championship-level yet. Not even close, as anyone who was at the Chesterfield match can attest. He needs a loan somewhere to further develop.