Paul Warne

Day

3 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

As someone who has engaged all season in dialogue and disagreement with people holding opposing views to my own I’d also argue “part of growing up” is letting things be and not goading people for the sake of it.

It’s the day after we confirmed promotion to the championship after a rough few years, thousands of fans poured onto the pitch and into the streets of Derby to celebrate it, enjoy it for what it is, let those with entrenched views and constructive concerns enjoy it too, we can get back to bickering when the first athletic former Rotherham player is signed 😉 

Fair play, as per good points , well made 

3 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

As someone who has engaged all season in dialogue and disagreement with people holding opposing views to my own I’d also argue “part of growing up” is letting things be and not goading people for the sake of it.

It’s the day after we confirmed promotion to the championship after a rough few years, thousands of fans poured onto the pitch and into the streets of Derby to celebrate it, enjoy it for what it is, let those with entrenched views and constructive concerns enjoy it too, we can get back to bickering when the first athletic former Rotherham player is signed 😉 

Despite being in different camps over the style of football this season, you've always been a gent. And where some of us might disagree over this or that, we all agree on the important things. Birds are the best bakers in the country.

Oh, and we all want the best for Derby. As does, and none of us should forget this, Paul Warne.

Just now, oodledoodle said:

Despite being in different camps over the style of football this season, you've always been a gent. And where some of us might disagree over this or that, we all agree on the important things. Birds are the best bakers in the country.

Oh, and we all want the best for Derby. As does, and none of us should forget this, Paul Warne.

Genuinely thought the emotion from yesterday had waned a little, then you mention Birds and I well up again. As part of his pre match routine my Grandpa would pop to Park Farm to run his errands and always went into Birds to buy my Nana a cream bun, clearly to stay in her good books while he was at the match and a couple of jars deep afterwards, the daft old sod.

What a bloody good feeling it is to have that promotion secured for those of us still around and those watching from…somewhere else 🐏

1 minute ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Genuinely thought the emotion from yesterday had waned a little, then you mention Birds and I well up again. As part of his pre match routine my Grandpa would pop to Park Farm to run his errands and always went into Birds to buy my Nana a cream bun, clearly to stay in her good books while he was at the match and a couple of jars deep afterwards, the daft old sod.

What a bloody good feeling it is to have that promotion secured for those of us still around and those watching from…somewhere else 🐏

That's lovely that. Football just isn't the same without being able to go over the game with my grandad. I took his scarf yesterday, for some reason he bought a blue and yellow one instead of black and white. So if anyone here got hit in the face with a blue and yellow scarf when we scored yesterday, blame my grandad.

David Clowes took Paul Warne and his coaching staff on to get us up. PW’s record of achieving promotion from L1 is unreal.

PW set the squad a target of 92 points to get us up this season. 
we achieved exactly that and in the dying embers of the season held our (experienced) nerve and fought off the challengers who now have to go through play-off purgatory.

Paul Warne has got the job done. 
he will get a long unfettered transfer window and a fair crack at Championship management. He deserves that.

I think Rotherham were in 7th or 8th position in Championship when DC came knocking. 

I’m looking forward to seeing his Derby side and how they fair next term. I’m hoping for an Ipswich rather than a Plymouth season.

Massive respect to him his coaches, DC and all the players. Enjoyed that ta 🥈🐏👏

I wanted him gone, along with a majority I think, around that Stevenage game and couldn't honestly see us where we are now. The talking in riddles and the way he answered questions in interviews, almost musing to himself, said to me we were a conundrum he was struggling to get to the bottom of. I think it was Collo that said yesterday Oxford away at Christmas was the turning point for the squad and it's easy to see that from a fan perspective.

Watching us throughout the season though, I've always felt the team were holding back. I've never felt like we've gone for the throat, really put our name to an identity that says to an opposition 'jesus we could get a real hiding here' after we score the first goal. We seem to threaten to do that then retract. I can't honestly decide if this is a purposeful tactic or because we haven't got the dynamism. I guess I meander between is this PW not fully believing we have the physical abilities to not get countered if we go gung ho or actually the players believing that. We are a functional side whose mission is accomplished so this isn't a moan, more an observation. When you look at Peterborough for example, PW would be well justified in saying that flair and youthful exuberance doesn't always bear fruit.

This summer will be interesting how PW approaches it. I'd expect many additions but the characteristics of those players will tell us a lot about the approach we can expect. I don't doubt he'll stray too far from his principles but when you look at the squads of Leeds, Southampton etc and the individual qualities they have, a team full of 'been round the block a few times' worries me

3 hours ago, DB83 said:

A majority?? You are delusional. A small number of individuals on Twitter or on here perhaps?? Sure. But not a majority of all fans. You should learn to stop spouting such deranged nonsense.

You “couldn’t honestly see us where we are now”?? Why?? It just shows how clueless you are. You were utterly wrong. You were blind to reality. Loads of us kept the faith. Why couldn’t you?? You were just desperate to be negative. You are not an asset as a Derby County “fan”.

We were “holding back”?? Wtf?? Best defence in the EFL. No goals conceded in the last 4 games, only 4 conceded in the last 11 games. If “holding back” means the best defence in the country then yeah, bring it on.

Sacking Warne in early November would have cost us promotion. Anyone who advocated this should hang their heads in shame. This has been one of our most  successful seasons ever. The anti-Warne crowd should f*** of back to Forest. The pro-Warne crowd have been utterly vindicated. He is our most successful manager in a quarter of a Century, on the list of all time DCFC legends that includes Clough, Mackay, Cox and Smith.

I’m sure you’ll be calling for Warne to be sacked if we lose our first two games of next season though, right?? Heaven forbid you’d actually be supportive. This has been one of the greatest Derby County seasons ever. I pity you if you haven’t enjoyed it.

It was more than a small number. Thinking a manager’s time is up isn’t always expressed with “get this clown out the club now”. Sometimes it’s “it’s just not working and Clowes should make the call”.

Thank god we were wrong.

3 hours ago, DB83 said:

A majority?? You are delusional. A small number of individuals on Twitter or on here perhaps?? Sure. But not a majority of all fans. You should learn to stop spouting such deranged nonsense.

You “couldn’t honestly see us where we are now”?? Why?? It just shows how clueless you are. You were utterly wrong. You were blind to reality. Loads of us kept the faith. Why couldn’t you?? You were just desperate to be negative. You are not an asset as a Derby County “fan”.

We were “holding back”?? Wtf?? Best defence in the EFL. No goals conceded in the last 4 games, only 4 conceded in the last 11 games. If “holding back” means the best defence in the country then yeah, bring it on.

Sacking Warne in early November would have cost us promotion. Anyone who advocated this should hang their heads in shame. This has been one of our most  successful seasons ever. The anti-Warne crowd should f*** of back to Forest. The pro-Warne crowd have been utterly vindicated. He is our most successful manager in a quarter of a Century, on the list of all time DCFC legends that includes Clough, Mackay, Cox and Smith.

I’m sure you’ll be calling for Warne to be sacked if we lose our first two games of next season though, right?? Heaven forbid you’d actually be supportive. This has been one of the greatest Derby County seasons ever. I pity you if you haven’t enjoyed it.

Steady on!

5 hours ago, DB83 said:

This has been one of the greatest Derby County seasons ever. I pity you if you haven’t enjoyed it.

Whoa.  I'm guessing you've not been around as long as some of us (pensioner age).  IMHO, whilst a great achievement, this is nowhere near the heydays of Clough & Taylor or Dave McKay.  I was there for both and our subsequent slide in Div 3.  Now, they were great seasons and this one is not in the same league (see what I did there?).  

Still, onwards and upwards.  I hope that through my son and grandson, my family will live to see the rise to the top again, but I fear I won't!  Really looking forward to the Summer now, as it will be full of transfer gossip and smart tweets from the Admin team!  COYR!!🍺🐏

41 minutes ago, RedSox said:

Whoa.  I'm guessing you've not been around as long as some of us (pensioner age).  IMHO, whilst a great achievement, this is nowhere near the heydays of Clough & Taylor or Dave McKay.  I was there for both and our subsequent slide in Div 3.  Now, they were great seasons and this one is not in the same league (see what I did there?).  

Still, onwards and upwards.  I hope that through my son and grandson, my family will live to see the rise to the top again, but I fear I won't!  Really looking forward to the Summer now, as it will be full of transfer gossip and smart tweets from the Admin team!  COYR!!🍺🐏

The same as you , I’ve seen the glory days and for me this season is right up there , well actually these last two seasons in the context of admin all taken together ,, 

football is more than football , my wife and daughter have come to games since admins and it’s been great , we have shared so much , we got two extra tickets for Carlisle so my wife and daughter could both come and bring my daughters boyfriend, there was the bit of sorrow that my eldest daughter who had season ticket when both daughters were small is no longer with us in person,

football is shared emotion , we will remember the day , the season , the emotion , we won’t remember what division we were promoted from , we won’t go back over the style of football we played ,

the last two seasons have been great , a bond between generations in families , happy times shared ,

that’s just how I see it 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, RedSox said:

He said “one of the greatest” not “the greatest”.

Of course the achievement in itself doesn’t compare to our league wins, glorious victories in Europe or even winning the old second division but, as other have said, the context is all important here. Less than two years ago we were on the brink of extinction. Even after DC saved the club we could easily have found ourselves floundering in league one for too many seasons.

6 hours ago, DB83 said:

This is a bit Over the Top. I have always been pro Warne but people are entitled to an opinion and people are entitled to get things wrong. That how lessons are learnt and knowledge gathered. Be a bit more tolerant.

23 hours ago, sage said:

Maybe they realise now isn't the time and don't want to get jumped on.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

More bullying. Well done.

Or possibly they just lost the argument and gave up. ?
I suggest that having a different view and voicing it in an open forum is not bullying. 
If they had had their way PW would have been hounded out. Which is closest to Bullying ? 

7 hours ago, DB83 said:

I pity you for being unable to hold reasonable debate, without being personal or disrespectful over football. How can an opinion be 'utterly wrong'? Juvenile, childish post that doesn't pose any points to actually respond to.

My point was about how we approach next season but you clearly missed that in your red misted bile

Edited by Sheepinthedales

Arthur Cox is undoubtedly one of the greatest managers in our history. He too got us out of the third tier in his second season, but Arthur started with twice as many players as Rosenior inherited and was able to strengthen the team part-way through the first season using money raised from the sale of Kevin Wilson and subsequently using investment from Maxwell. Rosenior (building on Rooney's undoubted influence) put together a functional team, but Warne's ability to trade-up was far more restricted than Cox's. I think for that reason it's fair to see this promotion as a greater achievement than Cox's first promotion, and a fair contender to be considered alongside Cox's 2nd promotion and Clough and Taylor's in 1969, purely because of the obstacles that had to be overcome.

Warne may never achieve another promotion or honour with Derby, but this is an achievement worthy of the prefix "great".

13 minutes ago, jono said:

Or possibly they just lost the argument and gave up. ?
I suggest that having a different view and voicing it in an open forum is not bullying. 
If they had had their way PW would have been hounded out. Which is closest to Bullying ? 

That's the point. Posters were being told not to post their opinion or when they could post it. Ignore the odd troll, there are far more many constructive critics but they were often rounded on.

Hounded out? Really? There were a few angry words after away games but no mass protests or chants.