Paul Warne

Day

Just come back on to congratulate PW, records broken and another promotion on his already impressive CV. 

I will be disappearing again, although will keep an eye on transfer forum and don't worry @LeedsCityRam, our bet still stands and I will happily pay up if I lose.

It may have been a minority, however the constant sniping at everything PW did, took the enjoyment out of the forum for me, from hampering the academy, not having the ability to get players in, PW football etc...he only had to lose one game and they were endless and imo unsubstantiated. I do appreciate though, it's all about opinions, so fair enough.

I will come back though when he leads us to the PL 🥳

I remember someone starting a chant of "Paul Warne, your football is sh*t" at Blackpool at 0-0, which got some purchase, before we took the lead.

The most ridiculous criticism of Warne I heard was from a youth sat a couple of rows behind me when we were losing at home to Charlton telling anyone within earshot that Warne "is obnoxious". I wouldn't mind betting he was on the pitch on Saturday proclaiming his love for Warne 😂 

You only had to listen to the moan-in after a defeat, draw or scrappy win to realise that the critics were persistent and numerous. I've little doubt that they'll be back the minute we sign an ex-Rotherham player.

28 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I remember someone starting a chant of "Paul Warne, your football is sh*t" at Blackpool at 0-0, which got some purchase, before we took the lead.

The most ridiculous criticism of Warne I heard was from a youth sat a couple of rows behind me when we were losing at home to Charlton telling anyone within earshot that Warne "is obnoxious". I wouldn't mind betting he was on the pitch on Saturday proclaiming his love for Warne 😂 

You only had to listen to the moan-in after a defeat, draw or scrappy win to realise that the critics were persistent and numerous. I've little doubt that they'll be back the minute we sign an ex-Rotherham player.

Yep, there were two clambering over the seats to get out at the end of Wycombe away (cos they were too important to queue like the rest of us) flinging their fingers in the direction of the pitch

"f*** off Warne, you're f****** useless"

Angry, aggressive,  entitled.

We have a fair number of them. 

32 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I’ve no problem with critics provided they have some evidence/justification to back up their arguments. It the speculative ones who say things like “Warne won’t be able to manage in the Championship” I cannot really tolerate. 

55 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Arthur Cox is undoubtedly one of the greatest managers in our history. He too got us out of the third tier in his second season, but Arthur started with twice as many players as Rosenior inherited and was able to strengthen the team part-way through the first season using money raised from the sale of Kevin Wilson and subsequently using investment from Maxwell. Rosenior (building on Rooney's undoubted influence) put together a functional team, but Warne's ability to trade-up was far more restricted than Cox's. I think for that reason it's fair to see this promotion as a greater achievement than Cox's first promotion, and a fair contender to be considered alongside Cox's 2nd promotion and Clough and Taylor's in 1969, purely because of the obstacles that had to be overcome.

Warne may never achieve another promotion or honour with Derby, but this is an achievement worthy of the prefix "great".

Agree with much you say. My dim distant memory of the Cox years was that Division 3, as it was in those days, was not as competitive as it is today. May be wrong! The other point I would make is once Cox’s teams got promoted e splashed the cash and it was obvious certain players disliked each other e.g. Gabiadini / Kitson. You do not find that in Warner’s team. Never seen a team spirit like it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. PWs first two promotions, did indeed, see them straight back down. How much of that is more down to the spending and pulling power (or the lack thereof) of RUFC and not down to PW. Following his 3rd promotion with them, after 9 games they were 8th with a game in hand on all the sides above them. Win that game and they'd have been 5th. He left to come to us and they plummeted to 19th that season 22/23. This season they are back down. Millers fans were saying, lasts season that the football they played in those 9 games was "proper football" not Warneball. I'm going to stick my neck on the line and predict we'll see better footbal next season PROVIDED we can get the right type of player in to replace the 10 or so who won't be getting a new contract offer.

Warne has completed his 1st task, getting us back in the Championship, by hook or by crook. Now on to what I perceive to be the 2nd task, consolidation in and eventual promotion from the Championship playing "proper football". By that I mean not being one dimensional as we have been a lot of this season. By all means have your wide men go down the outside and cross the ball but it shouldn't be your only game. Have them cut inside and have a shot as well. Use the channels as well, play through the middle as well... all valid ways of playing the game and, IMO, teams should use a combination of them all. Sometimes at speed, sometimes in a patient build up. Don't make life easy for the opposition, keep them guessing.

3 hours ago, angieram said:

Yep, there were two clambering over the seats to get out at the end of Wycombe away (cos they were too important to queue like the rest of us) flinging their fingers in the direction of the pitch

"f*** off Warne, you're f****** useless"

Angry, aggressive,  entitled.

We have a fair number of them. 

It was worse at Stevenage though.

Glad to see that Warne has got the necessary praise for the job he's done.

My own personal journey with him is as follows;

• Delighted he got the job because I found LR ball boring.
  • Gutted we stuttered out the play offs last season but still fully behind him.
  • Wanted him gone after Stevenage.
  • Accepted DC stance and our improved form softened me to him again.
  • Delighted he's taken us up and believe he deserves a crack at keeping us there.

My expectations of next season is for us to finish bottom 8 so unless we're doing a Wednesday from earlier on this season or Rotherham throughout the entirety of this season then i'll be content with whats going on. Whether PW can take us to the next level (PL) is debatable but i think we're at least 3/4 seasons away from entering that picture so plenty of ups and downs to digest before then.

Hopefully we can see a wave of positivity behind him and the team now and over the summer. Although i can't help but think if we lose our opening couple of matches a few posters toys will be thrown out their pram, hopefully i'm wrong. 

Congrats Paul, keep up the good work.

Edited by TomTom92

I think the one thing that was maybe missing from Saturday was Warne and the staff having their moment with the fans. Thing is I can’t work out whether that’s a good or bad thing either!

I think to me, and I don’t want to go too OTT because I get why, but I just found Warne’s interviews very flat and a bit like he’d separated himself away from it all. Whether the celebrations at the end just gave him the chance to keep away from it all I don’t know, but I hope in some way we as fans can show our appreciation to the management at some point. 

1 minute ago, TuffLuff said:

I think the one thing that was maybe missing from Saturday was Warne and the staff having their moment with the fans. Thing is I can’t work out whether that’s a good or bad thing either!

I think to me, and I don’t want to go too OTT because I get why, but I just found Warne’s interviews very flat and a bit like he’d separated himself away from it all. Whether the celebrations at the end just gave him the chance to keep away from it all I don’t know, but I hope in some way we as fans can show our appreciation to the management at some point. 

I've heard worse. He didn't declare undying love for Preston at least.

2 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

He said afterwards, that's his "thing". He wanted to let the players and fans enjoy the moment. He's no Lampard or, worse, WMD, TF.

39 minutes ago, Crewton said:

He said afterwards, that's his "thing". He wanted to let the players and fans enjoy the moment. He's no Lampard or, worse, WMD, TF.

Yeah I get that, and I guess there’s things like he’s going to be breaking up the squad now etc.

Like I say I’m unsure if it’s good or bad tbh, good in that he doesn’t feel it’s job done and he can achieve more here (let’s be honest that’s where Frank and Jody got things awfully wrong) or is it bad that he just doesn’t have that connection. I think it’s more likely the former really but still just hope he maybe gets that moment of appreciation at the right time.

51 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

I think it comes under their ethos of not allowing themselves to get too high or too low.

They will feel vindicated having achieved promotion but will also want to prove they are more than League One experts.

So, whilst feeling mightily relieved I suspect it’s a case of preparing for next year and letting the players have their moment.

Also quite difficult hugging someone you know is on this summer’s kill list.

1 hour ago, TomTom92 said:

Glad to see that Warne has got the necessary praise for the job he's done.

My own personal journey with him is as follows;

• Delighted he got the job because I found LR ball boring.
  • Gutted we stuttered out the play offs last season but still fully behind him.
  • Wanted him gone after Stevenage.
  • Accepted DC stance and our improved form softened me to him again.
  • Delighted he's taken us up and believe he deserves a crack at keeping us there.

My expectations of next season is for us to finish bottom 8 so unless we're doing a Wednesday from earlier on this season or Rotherham throughout the entirety of this season then i'll be content with whats going on. Whether PW can take us to the next level (PL) is debatable but i think we're at least 3/4 seasons away from entering that picture so plenty of ups and downs to digest before then.

Hopefully we can see a wave of positivity behind him and the team now and over the summer. Although i can't help but think if we lose our opening couple of matches a few posters toys will be thrown out their pram, hopefully i'm wrong. 

Congrats Paul, keep up the good work.

This post about mirrors my journey and feelings this season.

Now I hope Paul gets the praise and respect he deserves. I would add that there is no doubt he has produced a TEAM here willing to work hard for him and each other all across the pitch. At times during the run in our defending front to back has been heroic. He deserves patience now to build a team to take us out of the Championship and I fully expect with better players will come better football. 

Anyway thank you Paul, Saturday was one of the best days of my 62 years and hopefully it will remain long in the memory 🐏🐏🐏🐏

6 hours ago, sage said:

That's the point. Posters were being told not to post their opinion or when they could post it. Ignore the odd troll, there are far more many constructive critics but they were often rounded on.

Hounded out? Really? There were a few angry words after away games but no mass protests or chants.

I don’t recall posters being told whether they could post or not, or indeed when they could post. ( apart from the odd do one to the trolls you have already referred to.) I am sure there were a few “get losts” but that is that any different to the “angry words” you refer to. ?   It seemed to me like healthy debate with many posters objecting to comments directed at PW, calling him a clown or whatever else. A response in kind that I would describe as anything from: normal debate, a frank exchange of views, a spat or handbags. Bullying ? Really ? 

You can’t really chant on a text based forum. There were a number of comments such as get him out of our club though.

I still don’t see where your bullying allegation comes from ? I think the most vociferous of “anti PW” kept banging the same drum to the point that there were reactions that ranged from derision to logical counter argument. I don’t see that as bullying. It’s just not agreeing with someone. The derision was only a counterpoint to the caustic comments posters were making against the manager. If you say something controversial or don’t address the counter argument then you’re going to get push back. 

I really don’t understand this attitude that is becoming all too evident these days. It seems to be … I don’t like your stance but I am not going to argue it out with you, instead I am going to stop you arguing with me by attributing some dire character trait to your personality … You’re a bully, Your a lefty / righty or a sexist, a racist or a “phobe” of one sort or another. 

Would you like to name the bullies and provide evidence of their bullying ? . If you’re going to post examples I’d like to see the context and what both parties said at the time. 

8 minutes ago, jono said:

I don’t recall posters being told whether they could post or not, or indeed when they could post. ( apart from the odd do one to the trolls you have already referred to.) I am sure there were a few “get losts” but that is that any different to the “angry words” you refer to. ?   It seemed to me like healthy debate with many posters objecting to comments directed at PW, calling him a clown or whatever else. A response in kind that I would describe as anything from: normal debate, a frank exchange of views, a spat or handbags. Bullying ? Really ? 

You can’t really chant on a text based forum. There were a number of comments such as get him out of our club though.

I still don’t see where your bullying allegation comes from ? I think the most vociferous of “anti PW” kept banging the same drum to the point that there were reactions that ranged from derision to logical counter argument. I don’t see that as bullying. It’s just not agreeing with someone. The derision was only a counterpoint to the caustic comments posters were making against the manager. If you say something controversial or don’t address the counter argument then you’re going to get push back. 

I really don’t understand this attitude that is becoming all too evident these days. It seems to be … I don’t like your stance but I am not going to argue it out with you, instead I am going to stop you arguing with me by attributing some dire character trait to your personality … You’re a bully, Your a lefty / righty or a sexist, a racist or a “phobe” of one sort or another. 

Would you like to name the bullies and provide evidence of their bullying ? . If you’re going to post examples I’d like to see the context and what both parties said at the time. 

Lets forget all the old arguments and start afresh for the CHAMPIONSHIP after all we are all RAMS.

7 hours ago, sage said:

That's the point. Posters were being told not to post their opinion or when they could post it. Ignore the odd troll, there are far more many constructive critics but they were often rounded on.

Hounded out? Really? There were a few angry words after away games but no mass protests or chants.

I made a remark to you that in the days leading up to a stunning promotion it is absurd to have a "debate" about the manager's future.  No one told you you cannot discuss what you like but merely your position would be liable to appear ridiculous in the circumstances in the same way, say, an internal campaign to have a CEO fired for wildly outperforming his extremely challenging profit target, would have.

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

Yeah I get that, and I guess there’s things like he’s going to be breaking up the squad now etc.

Straight after the game he was interviewed, PW said there have been meetings for a couple of weeks concerning the Championship, Recruitment meetings this week, "The lads are off enjoying themselves", "We have to make decisions obviously and that will happen the week after" 

Back to me

If we were promoted we knew that this squad would be broken up, Lots out of contract, Some not good enough, Some calling it a day🤷‍♂️

IMO...PW and Co will already have a list of who's wanted, Who's available and who'll we'll get.

Edited by Ram-Alf