Paul Warne

Day

2 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

I don’t think that’s true, as good as the performance was.

It was just one game. If we keep playing that way then absolutely, but it’s important to not to get carried away regarding how good we are based on one game. Other posters have suggested the exact same regarding the game against Barrow. 

I feared, and still do really, that he is a limited manager who gets found out at this level. That performance against City was probably the first time I really started to think: wow, ok, maybe with a team of his own players, he might be up to this.

I take your point but until we’ve eaten the pudding of say 10 games we just won’t know. I think thus far it looks good

Great stat that and an important one. Success is built on a strong defence and it also looks like we are adding more threat in midfield and up top! 

For me the tide turned at the start of 2024 and the team began to really click, if it is happening earlier this year who knows? I remember it happening before and there is something about Paul Warne that reminds me of Arthur Cox and the focus on the team being together with good character as important as ability (Rob Hindmarch being a prime example). 

Saturdays result was built on good teamwork back to front, no stars but a real effective unit. I’m feeling positive for a good season ahead! COY🐏

There's something that's been rattling around in my head about Warne since listening to his interview that I'm not exactly sure what to think about it. And it's due to somewhat contradicting elements.

It's not the first interview he's alluded to in some form that he wants his teams to be entertaining, he heaps praise on the team because it was enjoyable to watch and not because they won. It's a thing he made a big deal of in his very first interview here. On the flip side of that  when he's commending the actual team it's almost all about athletic qualities and this isn't a new thing. Often when talking about footballers or teams he likes it's often in those terms, all about athleticism. When talking about the difference between this division and league 1 again the focus was on a difference in athleticism not player skill. The reason I bring that up is usually managers who are really focused on athleticism above everything else produce ugly football and when they talk they are almost entirely results focused. And to a certain extent at this level there is often that trade off between how athletic a player is versus how skilful they are.

2 hours ago, JPRamFan said:

I looked back at the home league wins stat and I'm counting 8 league home wins in a row. Port Vale, Reading, Bolton, Blackpool, Leyton Orient, Carlisle, Middlesbrough and Bristol City.

I pointed out this exact same thing on twitter/x and even had some folk disagree with me. You are spot on though.

And by the way: 8 consecutive home league wins with only a single goal conceded it yet another phenomenal record achieved by Paul Warne’s team. Record points total and a best ever away record last season, plus the best defence in the EFL, and now a fantastic run of wins at home.

This is why I’ll never understand the hatred of Warne. He is undoubtedly one of our most successful managers ever.

Edited by DB83

3 hours ago, Sufferingfool said:

Great stat that and an important one. Success is built on a strong defence and it also looks like we are adding more threat in midfield and up top! 

For me the tide turned at the start of 2024 and the team began to really click, if it is happening earlier this year who knows? I remember it happening before and there is something about Paul Warne that reminds me of Arthur Cox and the focus on the team being together with good character as important as ability (Rob Hindmarch being a prime example). 

Saturdays result was built on good teamwork back to front, no stars but a real effective unit. I’m feeling positive for a good season ahead! COY🐏

Great stat but utterly false (see my previous post). Folks should stop uncritically posting nonsense from twitter/x on here.

5 hours ago, DB83 said:

Great stat but utterly false (see my previous post). Folks should stop uncritically posting nonsense from twitter/x on here.

Yep you are correct Statto, but some folks should not detract from a post which was otherwise actually making some otherwise perfectly valid points. No one puts @Sufferingfoolin the corner.

IMG_0730.jpeg

4 hours ago, DB83 said:

I pointed out this exact same thing on twitter/x and even had some folk disagree with me. You are spot on though.

And by the way: 8 consecutive home league wins with only a single goal conceded it yet another phenomenal record achieved by Paul Warne’s team. Record points total and a best ever away record last season, plus the best defence in the EFL, and now a fantastic run of wins at home.

This is why I’ll never understand the hatred of Warne. He is undoubtedly one of our most successful managers ever.

Warne is operating at a win ratio of over 50% too, which, when you consider how hamstrung he's been in the transfer market and the complete chaos off the pitch for much of his tenure, is pretty staggering. For context, two rightly acknowledged greats in Cox and Smith returned win%s of 40% and 35% respectively, albeit at a higher level, for the most part. 

The irony of me having been one of the fiercest critics of Rosenior's removal and Warne's subsequent appointment is not lost on me, especially as I voiced many of the same concerns as we hear repeated so often now, but I just can't bring myself to be overly critical of a guy whose work ethic, heart and will to bring success to Derby are as huge as they are obvious and whose results are objectively very good, irrespective of the style by which they were were achieved. I do think there'll be bumps in the road, specifically against the top teams in the division and occasionally against the worst, but again, objectively speaking, the top clubs will have much stronger squads than us. 

Looking to the future, I'm hopeful that Bristol was a portent to a more fluent playing style and not a false dawn and we see some angry voices calmed. Backing up that game with a strong showing against Cardiff will be important, as the next three are Sheffield (A), Norwich (H) and Sunderland (A) all of which will be hard games to win. FWIW, I think we already have enough about us to beat Cardiff, at which point we'll be 5 games in with 9 points secured. That corresponds to a PPG average of 1.8 which and an 83 point finish. For context, only Leicester, Ipswich, Leeds and Southampton secured more last season. Do I feel it's likely? Hell no, but I can guarantee that if we get anywhere near that, I will be amazed and delighted in equal measures.

I feel allot of Warne's critics are like people who would criticise a Christmas Dinner because they don't like Brussel Sprouts. There's no recognition that the 3-bird roast, chestnut stuffing, roast potatoes, pigs in blankets, honey-roasted carrots and parsnips, spiced red cabbage, bread sauce, cranberry and rich giblet gravy was more than acceptable.

PS: dont @ me if I've missed out your favourite ingredient. Subs aren't allowed in this game.

Edit: Missed the bloody stuffing, didn't I!!

Edited by Crewton

53 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I feel allot of Warne's critics are like people who would criticise a Christmas Dinner because they don't like Brussel Sprouts. There's no recognition that the 3-bird roast, chestnut stuffing, roast potatoes, pigs in blankets, honey-roasted carrots and parsnips, spiced red cabbage, bread sauce, cranberry and rich giblet gravy was more than acceptable.

PS: dont @ me if I've missed out your favourite ingredient. Subs aren't allowed in this game.

Ooof! Spare seat at your dining table this Christmas, perchance? Might have a few in tow, mind!😋

58 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I hate sprouts and parsnips  , just don’t have them and still enjoy the rest of the C dinner 😅. I for the most part enjoy the winning football Warne has brought and think the style will improve as his players and style bed in. 🤞🏼

4 hours ago, Crewton said:

Crackers.........

.....not you, I like a good cracker with my Xmas lunch. Can't beat looking a right two hat with a paper hat on your head. 

5 hours ago, Crewton said:

I feel allot of Warne's critics are like people who would criticise a Christmas Dinner because they don't like Brussel Sprouts. There's no recognition that the 3-bird roast, chestnut stuffing......

Down here, that terminology has some delightful/dreadful connotations.....🤭

10 hours ago, Crewton said:

I think all the Warne critics are now eating a large portion of “Humble Pie”. I must admit before Saturday’s game I was beginning to wobble like Paul’s hat . However we are not home safe yet . Injuries to key players would be a problem with a wafer thin squad. Still would have liked to see an out and out C/F come in . But that was not Warne’s fault . 

9 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

I hate sprouts and parsnips  , just don’t have them and still enjoy the rest of the C dinner 😅. I for the most part enjoy the winning football Warne has brought and think the style will improve as his players and style bed in. 🤞🏼

Roast parsnips soaking up the last of the gravy .. excellent

1 sprout on the other hand, is enough to turn me in to a domestic methane production plant. No chance of net zero with sprouts on the menu.