Paul Warne

Day

The only thing I could hear in my head after Wildsmith's 'tackle' was Cloughie saying 'oh bloody hell, you need shooting'.

Just criminal. As stupid and brainless as anything you will ever see.

Always said it, Warne-ball is only acceptable when you win. First half was better and we were winning. 

2nd half was bloody terrible. All the chickens came home to roost. NML looked shattered, Bird was ineffective.  

Two shocking defensive errors and we are left just launching it aimlessly. 

Needs a big turn round.

Edited by Chester40

10 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

I don’t believe Warne believes that we have another gear in us. I think he feels others have better squads (for this type of division)

Even a team that hadn’t won for 22 games? He must have the biggest inferiority complex on earth.

Edited by Rambam

Last night was dreadful. How can a professional manager set us up like that? 

I think the biggest problem we have is attack. I look at our attacking options and I genuinely struggle a plan or signs of optimism. 

Hate to compare to Mac1 but we had Ward, Russell, Dawkins and Bamford who all were dangerous in their own right. Now we have the below;

Gayle - Looked to have a few nice touches in his locker, but is 5ft9 and has very little physical presence. Not suited to Warneball but I acknowledge it’s needs must. 

Waghorn - Just come back from injury. Erm will probably score you the odd goal and probably cares about the club. Would I get excited seeing his name on the team sheet? No.

NML - Player of the season. Has been class. But is starting to look tired and hasn’t been helped in the last 3 matches by being forced to play up top. If he has a bad match, we do. 

Barkhuizen - Solid 6/10 player. Gets on the scoresheet which can’t be underestimated. But does he ever leave the pitch with his opposing full back a quivering mess from playing against him? No. Will he single handedly win us a match? No

CBT - Signed to great fanfare. Hasn’t really shown any class in his few short chances. Doesn’t look a Warne ball player to me. Doesn’t seem fussed about doing the dirty work. Too early to judge. 

Wilson - Love the guy, think he’s been a breathe of fresh air. But ironically is the anti Barkhuizen in the fact he doesn’t get on the scoresheet. Probably a solid option to start if we have 3/4 other good forward options on the pitch. When we set up like last night, he’s never going to grab the match by the balls and win us the match.

Ward - Can’t play right back. Has a good cross on him. Doesn’t seem the most intelligent player. Not had enough of a chance to properly be judged. But a very underwhelming pool of resources. 

Add in that our brand of football isn’t one were attackers thrive, how do we expect to put in the nerve calming performances to get us over the line? 

Think losing Collo will prove to be the final nail in Warne ball this season. If he’s back for the play offs, then our chances of promotion do increase. 

22 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

I don’t believe Warne believes that we have another gear in us. I think he feels others have better squads (for this type of division)

He’d be correct as well. Think our squad is probably 4th/5th best. Which means you could argue Warne is overachieving. But as the last 3 windows have been on his watch I think any praise for our position gets wiped out when you address the reason why our squad isn’t good enough.

7 hours ago, Jram said:

Don’t be silly. We’ve played well in lots of games. Lots of teams have had periods of poor form. Everyone raved about Portsmouth- they were naff over Xmas. Everyone raved about Peterborough- they’ve dropped off the face of the earth.

Both Derby and Bolton are currently in a mini slump. Not the end of the world. All will look rosy again on Saturday when we batter Port Vale 

You can count on one hand the games we’ve actually really dominated this season. It’s not good enough. 

This turgid approach to football will see us finish rock bottom of the championship next year even if we do manage to drag ourselves across the line because ultimately we won’t be able to rely on having better players. 

4 hours ago, DB83 said:

The second half tonight was appalling and pretty much indefensible.

However, to everyone saying “Warne Out”, I ask you: who do you want on the touchline against Port Vale on Saturday instead?? And I don’t just mean “anyone”, or “Bob from down the street”. Who is your actual suggestion for a proper replacement who will improve our performances for the remainder of the season??

Anyone. Apparently Paul Simpson is close to being sacked following getting Carlisle promoted. Offer it him until summer. Reassess. 

Anyone that can encourage these talented lads to play some football. 

As I watched us collapse from a decent first half to a turgid 2nd last night I thought to myself that the Charlton team were exactly the sort of squad that Warne would wet himself to manage - a group (May excepted) of big, strong, atheltic players that ran all night and got in our faces. Unfortunately, Warne is trying to get our group of players to do the same and they're simply not up to it - whether that's physical limitations, type of player or simply that they're struggling with the intensity demanded and are close to burn out.

Sacking him now would be a crazy move, but promoted or not at the end of the season, Clowes needs to have a heard-headed review of the manager and decide whether he's up to the job in hand - my opinion is that he's a small club manager who is way out of his depth with the level of expectation at PP - and in the Championship, his obvious limitations will only be more apparent.....

Edited by Gaspode

Not surprised to see all the “tactical geniuses” come out after a defeat. 

Criticism of Warne last night, possibly team selection with too many defensive players which meant not enough support for Gayle in first half when we were on top, but then the attacking players he brought on promptly disappeared (Barkhuizen) 

We played really well first 20 minutes but didn’t create enough, and overall played well first half and deserved to be leading in a game of few chances, the football first 20 in particular was good to watch.

However second half we played safe and it cost us. Now some of you will be saying Warne tells the team to play that way and defend a 1-0 because it fits the narrative, that’s nonsense. You listen to Korey Smiths interview where he eluded to the players sitting back and being frustrated because they’ve spoken about it before and it’s cost them before. We weren’t ruthless we didn’t kill the game and opened the door to Charlton by gifting two goals with individual mistakes. We were in control. 

Yes Warne is probably due some criticism for how he set us up but the players lost that game last night and IMO they’re 70% to blame. Whether the pressure got to some of them who knows.

Still second amazingly after back to back defeats (first time this season btw), 11 more cup finals and many more twists and turns. One positive, Gayle can be our Didzy when he’s up to speed. He was a class above. 

2 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Criticism of Warne last night, possibly team selection with too many defensive players which meant not enough support for Gayle in first half when we were on top, but then the attacking players he brought on promptly disappeared (Barkhuizen) 

We played really well first 20 minutes but didn’t create enough, and overall played well first half and deserved to be leading in a game of few chances, the football first 20 in particular was good to watch.

However second half we played safe and it cost us. Now some of you will be saying Warne tells the team to play that way and defend a 1-0 because it fits the narrative, that’s nonsense. You listen to Korey Smiths interview where he eluded to the players sitting back and being frustrated because they’ve spoken about it before and it’s cost them before. We weren’t ruthless we didn’t kill the game and opened the door to Charlton by gifting two goals with individual mistakes. We were in control. 

Yes Warne is probably due some criticism for how he set us up but the players lost that game last night and IMO they’re 70% to blame. Whether the pressure got to some of them who knows.

Still second amazingly after back to back defeats (first time this season btw), 11 more cup finals and many more twists and turns. One positive, Gayle can be our Didzy when he’s up to speed. He was a class above. 

I’m no tactical genius but I disagree with your assessment. I didn’t ever feel like we looked in control. Charlton kept the ball better and I always thought they were a “missed tackle” or mistake (as it happened) away from getting in. We looked v v poor in possession after the first 15 and never looked like scoring a second goal. As at Barnsley, we looked more urgent in the last 10, largely to the opposition sitting on their lead 

19 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I actually like Warne by the way. The interviews have grown on me. I think he’s a good guy. 

But for me I’d rather think the manager was a bit of a nob but who could set a team up to play high quality football consistently. 

You like his interviews !!!!  he's a show pony, thinks he's funny ,5000 meerkats,stupid bobble hats, on and on and on.

GET RID NOW

50 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Warne set up as a 4-2-3-1. I have no issue with that, but why push Cashin to left back? He needs to be brave. Sibley has filled that role well on numerous occasions. Well has Bradley has played lately he should have been on the bench.

I like Wilson but he has a trait - fail to put the opposition full back on toast early on and his confidence pours away. Like last night, when that happens he doesn't have a good game. Warne should have taken him off early in the second half.

Substitutions. Smith and Adams were playing well - amongst our best on the night. Why does he take them off and leave us without any physicality in midfield against a physical side?

Yes the players made mistakes, but Warnes decisions increase the pressure on the players and thus increase the chances of them making mistakes.

Edited by Ramtastic ones
Grammar

1 hour ago, TomTom92 said:

He’d be correct as well. Think our squad is probably 4th/5th best. Which means you could argue Warne is overachieving. But as the last 3 windows have been on his watch I think any praise for our position gets wiped out when you address the reason why our squad isn’t good enough.

Disagree with this to be honest. Our squad on paper is in a mini-league if it's own with Pompey and Bolton. 

The quality of sides outside of that this year are desperately poor.

7 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Disagree with this to be honest. Our squad on paper is in a mini-league if it's own with Pompey and Bolton. 

The quality of sides outside of that this year are desperately poor.

Fair enough it’s a game of opinions. I’d rather have Barnsley’s squad over ours. Think we’re slightly better than Posh which puts us 4th in my book. 

Don’t think there’s too much between the top 5 though which means the better coached teams will go up.

9 hours ago, RodleyRam said:

Okay, I'll be that guy...

Were we terrible tonight?! I don't think so. To my eye we looked the better team and should have won. Not inspiring by any stretch but still the better side with more than enough opportunities to take 3 points.

On Saturday at Barnsley we were equal to them.

I accept we play a fairly pragmatic brand of football under Warne, it's not my idea of entertaining football but not every dropped point has to be used as a stick to beat him with. It's league 1 in the winter, it's going to be ugly at times. 

Some people's expectations feel unrealistic given all the circumstances. We are not going to win every game playing total football. People calling for him to be sacked whilst we're second in the league or because their crystal ball says we'll be crap in the championship is frankly bizarre!

I agree that he has to stop tinkering with 3 at the back and stick with some version of 4-3-3 but I don't see that as the primary reason we lost tonight.

We are still second, it is still all to play for. 

Tin hat on.

The football was awful, hardly any creativity and lots of odd positioning of players. No real pattern to our play either before or after various substitutes. It's been like this since Warne was appointed, he gets through it mostly because of the quality of players recruited. 

Should have won, really?

9 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

Just to say...this is what Paul Warne said on Radio Derby “We haven’t played well all season “ I never heard it but other posters did 

You think the manager might do something about that? 😄