Exeter City v Derby - Match Day Thread

Heisenberg

2 hours ago, ap04 said:

Until these suit Derby at which point they'll pop up again in a flash. But have you considered the possibility it was the scoreline that was "false" rather than the stats? Seeing as they are a broader sample and football is notoriously unfair.

More than anything it shows how blinkered fans are by results. On chances created (objective no emotion bias or agendas) we didn't deserve to win the game, yet nobody out of a 100 seems to think so.

Make that nobody out of 101.

Edited by VulcanRam

3 hours ago, ap04 said:

Until these suit Derby at which point they'll pop up again in a flash. But have you considered the possibility it was the scoreline that was "false" rather than the stats? Seeing as they are a broader sample and football is notoriously unfair.

More than anything it shows how blinkered fans are by results. On chances created (objective no emotion bias or agendas) we didn't deserve to win the game, yet nobody out of a 100 seems to think so.

Neither the result or the stats are “false”. Just that neither a higher possession percentage or more shots on target necessarily mean you “deserve” to win. It depends on what you do with that possession and how threatening the shots were. Even if the shots were all good ones and on target it still doesn’t mean you deserved to win unless you were genuinely unlucky. Failing to score due to missing the target or good defending isn’t unlucky.

Nobody out of 100 means zero percent. Does that mean you don’t think so either? 😀

Edited by Tamworthram

1 hour ago, hintonsboots said:

Thought the support was excellent last night. Managed to get a couple of seats right on the end of the home stand. Sat on my hands, couldn’t complain about the ref and made do with slapping my leg and saying rank bad defending every time we scored. Think I got away with it 🤣

B114EA34-5211-4ACE-8FB2-78D0A89BCAFA.jpeg

Yet ironically you could have been sat with us, as there were a good number of seats unclaimed.

This was very lucky for @sage, who had to move seats at halftime after some tanked up prat had spewed up all over the place where he was. 

I hope he's reported  by somebody, because we really need to get rid of this sort of offensive behaviour.

I've never understood why getting rat-arsed and ruining everyone else's enjoyment of the game is considered acceptable in football and I do wonder how many more of the no-shows set off to the game and became too inebriated to actually get there? 

I saw a well coached and set up Derby team defend resolutely, match the home opposition up solidly, create some good chances and take 3 of them whilst keeping a clean sheet.

we thoroughly deserved our handsome win 😉 

Ebou Adams is a beast and we love him 🖤 

Birdie was involved in all three goals and is a revelation - good luck to him 😊

I held my breath when Collo went down (just a jarred knee) 😇

subs all did a grand job when needed  

The Rams fans were amazing 🤩 🐏 🐑 🖤 

I can’t make Steve nidge so please all give our Rams a massive shout from me 📢

Thinks it’s wrong to say we didn’t deserve the win. We did. 

3-0 probably flattered us as contrary to what some on here would have you believe they didn’t ‘pass without creating owt’. They had a number of good chances. We had more good chances. 

I guess when it comes down to it us having better players mattered when it came to those chances and it led to an enjoyable performance. 

2 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Yep, just about made double-figures :

3' NML header, just over

5' Collins shot straight at keeper

24' Bird's GOAL

42' Bird's shot saved low down by keeper

45' Elder shot saved low down by keeper

52' NML GOAL

62' Barkhuizen GOAL

65' NML blazes over with only keeper to beat

70' Barkhuizen mis-kicks 10 yards out with only keeper to beat

73' Nelson shot blocked

The BOLD I'd call good chances, the italics I'd call speculative shots that caused the keeper to make a decent save, the others were unsuccessful efforts on goal.

Whatever metric you choose, we deserved to win (xG was 1.27 - 0.98 in our favour, shots on target 6 - 2 in our favour). Perhaps we didn't deserve to win 3-0, but that was where the decisiveness and extra quality came in.

I meant double figures for the clear ones, all in they were on double figures too. As you said we had 5 or 6 big chances (3 goals Collins M-L, Barks not an easy finish imo), they had 4 as big but twice as many 'non-bold' ones. The 3' M-L one was not a chance at all. Us edging it but not by much with the possible caveat it was game over on 62'.

A different site gave 1.24-1.24 for the xG - also xG 1.27-0.98 is not enough for a win, and xG does not add anything if you've watched the actual game.

32 minutes ago, ap04 said:

I meant double figures for the clear ones, all in they were on double figures too. As you said we had 5 or 6 big chances (3 goals Collins M-L, Barks not an easy finish imo), they had 4 as big but twice as many 'non-bold' ones. The 3' M-L one was not a chance at all. Us edging it but not by much with the possible caveat it was game over on 62'.

A different site gave 1.24-1.24 for the xG - also xG 1.27-0.98 is not enough for a win, and xG does not add anything if you've watched the actual game.

Sorry if you couldn't understand the key I used - I thought it was fairly straightforward. 

I was at the actual game, with the Derby supporters. The only "big" chances I saw for Exeter were the one that hit the post and the "open goal" late on. The two others you cited weren't "big" chances, because neither of them resulted in an attempt on goal - one was a "what might have been" the other was great defending. They might have been big chances if anyone actually had a goal-scoring opportunity from them. What next "Derby would have lost if Cashin and Nelson weren't the dogs"?

7 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Sorry if you couldn't understand the key I used - I thought it was fairly straightforward. 

I was at the actual game, with the Derby supporters. The only "big" chances I saw for Exeter were the one that hit the post and the "open goal" late on. The two others you cited weren't "big" chances, because neither of them resulted in an attempt on goal - one was a "what might have been" the other was great defending. They might have been big chances if anyone actually had a goal-scoring opportunity from them. What next "Derby would have lost if Cashin and Nelson weren't the dogs"?

Sadly we are pretty close to derby would have lost IF I had my way by some posters , been that way for a while now🤷🏻‍♂️

55 minutes ago, ap04 said:

And yet we did win.  And then you say xG adds nothing.  I’m with @Caerphilly Ram, why are people looking for reasons as to why we shouldn’t have won?  Totally baffled!!

12 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Worth a gander at the Exeter fans forum. Very complimentary generally with many saying we are the best they have seen this season. 

Were they moaning about all the glorious chances they missed by inches, by any chance?

2 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I genuinely don’t get why people are seemingly looking to downplay a 3-0 away win with comments along the lines of “based on chances we didn’t deserve to win”

Factually we won 3-0 away from home on a Tuesday night in February, why not just enjoy it instead of trying to disprove it?

You get all sorts of folk trying to rubbish a 3-0 away win...notice the initials at the top right 😁

image.png.50622d59f41ab2601b2a6a80efe3860d.png

5 hours ago, angieram said:

On the crowd noise, we were split into three sections, seated (yes 😲) on the side beneath the radio Derby commentary, then two separate standing areas behind the goal, one set slightly in front of the other.

Hence there were different chants starting in each section and not necessarily being picked up by the other areas. 

There was plenty of noise but it was a bit chaotic. 

It was very chaotic.

I find the set up at Exeter doesn’t really suit a large away following. It never feels joined up because you have people spread across two standing areas and one seating area and everyone does their own thing.

Last night you had people singing about mermaids on one side of the goal and you had people singing about darts players on the other side and lots of pockets of noise but no real togetherness.

It’s also not comfortable for all fans. The terrace is too close to the pitch and the space between rows is often too tight, making it difficult to see all areas of the pitch clearly and difficult to move around.

It was so packed yesterday that I could barely move a muscle without invading someone’s personal space, so you can only imagine how my fiancée (who is relatively new to following Derby) must have felt.

Exeter are a nice, family friendly club but they need a more modern stadium if they want to progress, absolutely.

6 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

Football matches last the best part of 100 minutes. Our goals combined took about 8 seconds to score. 

It isn’t weird of fans to focus on the other 99 minutes of the match otherwise why not just switch on the highlights an hour after it’s finished? 

It’s frankly ridiculous to suggest they were doing pointless passes.

They were getting it through the lines well but didn’t have the quality to do anything with it.

Remember the difference in the first half is Max Bird wonderfully dribbling past 4 players before pinging it in from 20 yards. They crafted a well worked opportunity for a shot from 20 yards out and it came back off the post. 

I enjoyed the win but to say Exeter weren’t playing good football is just disingenuous. With better players that type of performance gives us a hell of a lot of problems. Luckily for us we have better players as you’d expect with our budget. 

They passed the ball around well and kept possession well, however, its pretty pointless if it ends with you having 2 shots on target.

You may as well be lumping it forward and feeding off scraps around the area.

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

Exeter are a nice, family friendly club but they need a more modern stadium if they want to progress, absolutely

There's been talk of ground sharing with the chiefs as their in a financial mess, but ecfc trust don't want to commit to it as they have zero stadium + club debt

2 hours ago, angieram said:

This was very lucky for @sage, who had to move seats at halftime after some tanked up prat had spewed up all over the place where he was. 

I hope he's reported  by somebody, because we really need to get rid of this sort of offensive behaviour.

It's a shame because it's that kind of behaviour that stops people going. There were a few staggering down St James before the game had started 

21 hours ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Tonights attendance 7754 (1163 from Derby)

……….well done to one and all. 👍🐏

It is but that is 198 less than the tickets sold.

Quite a few empty seats around us, I did wonder why this was, problem with the railway maybe ?

5 hours ago, ap04 said:

33' woodwork
58' inches away from free header tap in
66' Ebu last ditch a yard wide with Wildsmith wrong footed
93' Sitter inches over
(just the clear-cut ones, they also had lesser moments 6' 7' 56' 68' 93' and 96', twice as many as ours but which you can ignore)

Now waiting for our count expecting it to reach double figures.

What's even more bizarre than you constructing a timeline of our oppositions "chances" is that someone else on the forum has actually applauded your efforts. 

Only got back into Leeds at 8.30am this morning after a nightmare with a connecting coach but here are a stream of thoughts from my sleep deprived mind.

Absolutely clinical display from Derby - felt like the game was pretty even first half until Max's goal. Thereafter, their need to attack opened up acres of space that Mendez-Laing & Barkhuizen thrived on - both should have had another goal. Exeter obviously had a lot of ball in the second half as we looked to break on them & had a couple of real opportunities but we did look reasonably assured. The possession stats showing 30% for us would likely have been higher if the game was more even but it does reveal a lot about how this team finds success.

Ebou Adams is the missing ingredient this team has needed for months - perpetual energy, real hunger to protect that back line & plays it simple. Successful midfields are all about blend, not just your best players & his skills perfectly compliment Bird and/or Hourihane.

Lovely to see Max on the scoresheet again - he seems to be really enjoying his football & I hope he realises the majority of Derby fans appreciate what a bloody good player he is & that he's staying with us until the summer to take us up. He deserves a good reception every time he returns to PP as an opposition player.

Away support was fantastic but would agree with others that the truncated nature of the away end made for pockets of fans singing rather than a group effort. That said, had a great time - very loud around us (right behind goal) & enjoyed the celebrations immensely.

Massive game on Saturday against the type of team we tend to struggle with - physical, niggly, clinical & hard pressing. Real test of our promotion credentials as these are the games (both auto promotion challenge & potential playoff games) that we need to win. Would be a real shame not to follow up yesterday's great result with a home win.

Edited by LeedsCityRam