Exeter City v Derby - Match Day Thread

Heisenberg

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

What's even more bizarre than you constructing a timeline of our oppositions "chances" is that someone else on the forum has actually applauded your efforts. 

Lots of comments on how they were 'possession for possessions sake'. But they weren't. Our defence was mostly too good for them. They tried but made the wrong decisions/ran out of ideas at times. They played nice football but needed more against us, they didn't have it. Nothing to do with their intentions. 👍

Edited by RoyMac5

9 hours ago, angieram said:

I think 1200 of us saw it, but the referee didn't! 

I think the referee thought the ball was going out of play and so turned away, their player frustrated at not being able to get the ball shoved Adam’s over forcefully.

Adams upset at this needless action jumped up and squared up to him, it was at this point the referee turned back.

Then the referee came over and gave Adams a telling off, marking his card.

It set the tone.

59 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Only got back into Leeds at 8.30am this morning after a nightmare with a connecting coach but here are a stream of thoughts from my sleep deprived mind.

Absolutely clinical display from Derby - felt like the game was pretty even first half until Max's goal. Thereafter, their need to attack opened up acres of space that Mendez-Laing & Barkhuizen thrived on - both should have had another goal. Exeter obviously had a lot of ball in the second half as we looked to break on them & had a couple of real opportunities but we did look reasonably assured. The possession stats showing 30% for us would likely have been higher if the game was more even but it does reveal a lot about how this team finds success.

Ebou Adams is the missing ingredient this team has needed for months - perpetual energy, real hunger to protect that back line & plays it simple. Successful midfields are all about blend, not just your best players & his skills perfectly compliment Bird and/or Hourihane.

Lovely to see Max on the scoresheet again - he seems to be really enjoying his football & I hope he realises the majority of Derby fans appreciate what a bloody good player he is & that he's staying with us until the summer to take us up. He deserves a good reception every time he returns to PP as an opposition player.

Away support was fantastic but would agree with others that the truncated nature of the away end made for pockets of fans singing rather than a group effort. That said, had a great time - very loud around us (right behind goal) & enjoyed the celebrations immensely.

Massive game on Saturday against the type of team we tend to struggle with - physical, niggly, clinical & hard pressing. Real test of our promotion credentials as these are the games (both auto promotion challenge & potential playoff games) that we need to win. Would be a real shame not to follow up yesterday's great result with a home win.

Valentines Day Connection was it?

Oh La La @LeedsCityRam

Up The Loved Up Rams 🖤 🐏

Sexeter City 0-3 Derby County !!!!

3 Love on the highway !!!!

Mega Mega Mega !!!!

9 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Brian Clough: "It only takes a second to score a goal"

Plonkers: "So you're saying that we were outplayed for 89 minutes and 57 seconds then?"

You recommended a beer to me a while back. You've now sent me down a Trappist beer rabbit hole, as I'd never heard of them before. Just wanted to say thanks, they're absolutely fantastic.

9 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Oi, I definitely said maybe one thing one time about it!

I agree, last night there was a real determination amongst the team, one shot they had came from a similar situation/area of the pitch down the right hand side to the equaliser on Saturday, it was dealt with then Hourihane and Elder went nuts. Lots of organisation, talking, supporting one another, doubling up, covering, tackling, blocking, it was great to watch. 

Being really close to the side of the pitch in the seats you could pick up on the little things like Nelson trying to take a quick throw in and Cashin switching off for a second and their player nipping between them, Nelson giving Cash the fingers to the eyes sign and shouting WATCH.

4 hours ago, ap04 said:

I meant double figures for the clear ones, all in they were on double figures too. As you said we had 5 or 6 big chances (3 goals Collins M-L, Barks not an easy finish imo), they had 4 as big but twice as many 'non-bold' ones. The 3' M-L one was not a chance at all. Us edging it but not by much with the possible caveat it was game over on 62'.

A different site gave 1.24-1.24 for the xG - also xG 1.27-0.98 is not enough for a win, and xG does not add anything if you've watched the actual game.

Yes everyone was having this type of conversation as we were walking away from the match,   NOT😂

7 hours ago, ap04 said:

33' woodwork
58' inches away from free header tap in
66' Ebu last ditch a yard wide with Wildsmith wrong footed
93' Sitter inches over
(just the clear-cut ones, they also had lesser moments 6' 7' 56' 68' 93' and 96', twice as many as ours but which you can ignore)

Now waiting for our count expecting it to reach double figures.

1) so missed target ? 

2) an inch ? ask the Germans in 66

3) missed

4) missed

And I am sure, in addition to those we actually scored ( something they didn’t do ) that you could make a list of our misses, near or not.

Troll, doomsayer, door opening actuator and all round comic. Bravo. 

2 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Only got back into Leeds at 8.30am this morning after a nightmare with a connecting coach but here are a stream of thoughts from my sleep deprived mind.

Absolutely clinical display from Derby - felt like the game was pretty even first half until Max's goal. Thereafter, their need to attack opened up acres of space that Mendez-Laing & Barkhuizen thrived on - both should have had another goal. Exeter obviously had a lot of ball in the second half as we looked to break on them & had a couple of real opportunities but we did look reasonably assured. The possession stats showing 30% for us would likely have been higher if the game was more even but it does reveal a lot about how this team finds success.

Ebou Adams is the missing ingredient this team has needed for months - perpetual energy, real hunger to protect that back line & plays it simple. Successful midfields are all about blend, not just your best players & his skills perfectly compliment Bird and/or Hourihane.

Lovely to see Max on the scoresheet again - he seems to be really enjoying his football & I hope he realises the majority of Derby fans appreciate what a bloody good player he is & that he's staying with us until the summer to take us up. He deserves a good reception every time he returns to PP as an opposition player.

Away support was fantastic but would agree with others that the truncated nature of the away end made for pockets of fans singing rather than a group effort. That said, had a great time - very loud around us (right behind goal) & enjoyed the celebrations immensely.

Massive game on Saturday against the type of team we tend to struggle with - physical, niggly, clinical & hard pressing. Real test of our promotion credentials as these are the games (both auto promotion challenge & potential playoff games) that we need to win. Would be a real shame not to follow up yesterday's great result with a home win.

Blimey! We were just going down to breakfast then.

5 hours ago, ap04 said:

I meant double figures for the clear ones, all in they were on double figures too. As you said we had 5 or 6 big chances (3 goals Collins M-L, Barks not an easy finish imo), they had 4 as big but twice as many 'non-bold' ones. The 3' M-L one was not a chance at all. Us edging it but not by much with the possible caveat it was game over on 62'.

A different site gave 1.24-1.24 for the xG - also xG 1.27-0.98 is not enough for a win, and xG does not add anything if you've watched the actual game.

confused-confused-math.gif

image.png.ec808f7bbb49488194b1c956437583c0.png

c6e8d77b7e7c60fdbba8e4c7d5a98df2.gif

8 hours ago, angieram said:

Good comments generally but a couple of things.

We didn't get any beer - be grateful for what you had!

I see it as a positive that two more experienced players were coaching Kane Wilson out there.

Knowing Kane he probably asked for the help. He's young, at a new club where he's been played in several different roles and formations already without a steady run in any one of them. He's eager to learn and that is all to his credit. 

Oh yeah definitely not a criticism of KW, more a point of how difficult it is for a wing back to be put at full back. I think a lot of fans would assume it's an easy transition but look how much ward struggles at times 

7 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

What's even more bizarre than you constructing a timeline of our oppositions "chances" is that someone else on the forum has actually applauded your efforts. 

It’s obvious (as you know) that the poster was disagreeing that Exeter created the square root of nothing. But easy laughs I guess 🙄

13 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

They passed the ball around well and kept possession well, however, its pretty pointless if it ends with you having 2 shots on target.

You may as well be lumping it forward and feeding off scraps around the area.

They created only 2 shots on target against arguably the best defence in the division… 

Against lesser defences there’d be more coming from that football. 

12 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Wasn’t he just asked what chances they created with the passing? 

Can’t believe how hard it is for some of our fans to admit that Exeter played nice football and did create decent opportunities against us just because we play dull (albeit effective) football.