Exeter City v Derby - Match Day Thread

Heisenberg

9 hours ago, whiteroseram said:

Oh yeah definitely not a criticism of KW, more a point of how difficult it is for a wing back to be put at full back. I think a lot of fans would assume it's an easy transition but look how much ward struggles at times 

He played full back for a whole season at FGR, did alright there! 

It's the changing of systems I think affects players. They like the routine of a familiar system with partners they can then play instinctively with.  Not going to get that under Warne. 

17 minutes ago, angieram said:

It's the changing of systems I think affects players. They like the routine of a familiar system with partners they can then play instinctively with.  Not going to get that under Warne. 

Except he didn’t, Forest green played 5-3-2 with Kane and Barnsley’s Nicky Caden as wing backs 

22 minutes ago, angieram said:

Whoscored says FG played 3412 44 times, 3421 once, and 352 once in their promotion season - Wilson startin 45 of those games at RWB

However, at his previous clubs, he did predominantly play as a RB in a back 4, with occasional apearances at RWB - West Brom youth, Exeter, Walsall and Tranmere

Edited by Ghost of Clough

15 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Except he didn’t, Forest green played 5-3-2 with Kane and Barnsley’s Nicky Caden as wing backs 

Not when we were there, they didn't.  Maybe they changed it about too? 

Anyway, I think Wilson can defend a bit. I felt sorry for him against Shrewsbury. Just entered the pitch as throwin about to be taken, and there was fault with about three players.  Clever by Shrewsbury,  as much as anything.

17 hours ago, Crewton said:

I was at the actual game, with the Derby supporters.

What that meant was that xG is redundant once you've watched the game, as in giving less info, I didn't doubt you watched it.

17 hours ago, Crewton said:

The two others you cited weren't "big" chances, because neither of them resulted in an attempt on goal - one was a "what might have been" the other was great defending. They might have been big chances if anyone actually had a goal-scoring opportunity from them.

Call it what you will if 'chances' is wrong, what matters is how close they were to a goal. A disallowed goal or marginal offside or penalty denied is a big 'chance' despite no attempt as we very nearly scored. Their deflection onto the sidenetting is a big chance because of the distance of striker to goal and then of ball to post with the keeper beat, it hinged on tiny margins and was worse defending imo than on Saturday. A missed flick unmarked from 5 yards is much closer to a goal and better attacking/worse defending than a regulation save from outside the box.

If I got this right according to you Barkhuisen missing the ball -which I think he did- is not a chance even though we nearly scored, but if he scuffs it to the keeper it suddenly counts as he had an 'attempt on goal'. If a keeper makes a save it counts as a chance, but if it's a defender that saves the goal by blocking a point-blank or a through ball for a 1 v 1 or a cross for a tap-in it does not as there was no attempt. I take it you also think a silly og shouldn't count as to who deserved due to no attempt even though the defending was pathetic?

6 minutes ago, ap04 said:

A disallowed goal or marginal offside or penalty denied is a big 'chance' despite no attempt as we very nearly scored.

What a hornet’s nest

prompted me to google ‘how is xg calculated’ and was surprised to see what a blunt instrument that stat is. 

Busy week here.  Completely missed this game, and not even had chance to do anything more than a very brief speed-read of this thread.

...Just got around to watching the 8min highlight vid... No way did we deserve to win that... They even hit the post, FFS!  👀 🙄

Ha!  A nice steady strike from Max for the first.  Not spectacular by any means, but it's still a good 22/23 yards with 5 striped shirts and a keeper twixt him and the goal.  Thumbs up from me.

I'm gonna give Max the benefit of the doubt, and assume he knew where NML was (Or where he should be? 🤷‍♂️) for his delightful little triple reverse blind lobdink, and I adored NML's deft touch with his bonce, to set himself onwards and goalwards.  Good touch, good run, and clinically finished.  Only a cheeky little dink over the keeper could have bettered that... but I ain't complaining!  My favourite of the highlight reel.

As for the 3rd, I've always had a bit of a soft spot for coming inside, and curling one in from one corner of the box to the far post, around and beyond what is always an overstretched keeper.  Beautiful!

I'm sure I scored one just like that v @Henrycav81 in '77 (He always ended up in goal for some reason, can't remember why! 👀) #lastpick.

Only seen 8mins, but hell yeah... we so deserved that!  

🐏

5 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

Wasn’t he just asked what chances they created with the passing? 

Can’t believe how hard it is for some of our fans to admit that Exeter played nice football and did create decent opportunities against us just because we play dull (albeit effective) football. 

I don’t think we play dull football, certainly no more so than when we were knocking it round the back trying and failing to play keep ball , oh wait it wasn’t dull when the regular heart attack mistake let the opponent in on goal 

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

Busy week here.  Completely missed this game, and not even had chance to do anything more than a very brief speed-read of this thread.

...Just got around to watching the 8min highlight vid... No way did we deserve to win that... They even hit the post, FFS!  👀 🙄

Ha!  A nice steady strike from Max for the first.  Not spectacular by any means, but it's still a good 22/23 yards with 5 striped shirts and a keeper twixt him and the goal.  Thumbs up from me.

I'm gonna give Max the benefit of the doubt, and assume he knew where NML was (Or where he should be? 🤷‍♂️) for his delightful little triple reverse blind lobdink, and I adored NML's deft touch with his bonce, to set himself onwards and goalwards.  Good touch, good run, and clinically finished.  Only a cheeky little dink over the keeper could have bettered that... but I ain't complaining!  My favourite of the highlight reel.

As for the 3rd, I've always had a bit of a soft spot for coming inside, and curling one in from one corner of the box to the far post, around and beyond what is always an overstretched keeper.  Beautiful!

I'm sure I scored one just like that v @Henrycav81 in '77 (He always ended up in goal for some reason, can't remember why! 👀) #lastpick.

Only seen 8mins, but hell yeah... we so deserved that!  

🐏

Funny how I played for the school team 2 years above me (your year) and you couldn’t get a game🤣

Mr Malkin said you had two left feet 

You were more remembered for relieving the school cupboards of all their stationary if memory serves me right

1 hour ago, Archied said:

I don’t think we play dull football, certainly no more so than when we were knocking it round the back trying and failing to play keep ball , oh wait it wasn’t dull when the regular heart attack mistake let the opponent in on goal 

Scoring 3 and keeping a clean sheet is seen as dull.

Doing lots of passing and only having 2 shots on target is much more exciting apparently.

7 hours ago, angieram said:

Not when we were there, they didn't.  Maybe they changed it about too? 

Anyway, I think Wilson can defend a bit. I felt sorry for him against Shrewsbury. Just entered the pitch as throwin about to be taken, and there was fault with about three players.  Clever by Shrewsbury,  as much as anything.

The one great quality he has when defending is his pace, which allows him often to get back onto an opposition player even if he’s skinned on the half- way line.

1 hour ago, Henrycav81 said:

Funny how I played for the school team 2 years above me (your year) and you couldn’t get a game🤣

You were more remembered for relieving the school cupboards of all their stationary if memory serves me right

879FCD41-E41E-4D19-B916-70A0B2E70C84.jpeg

2 hours ago, Henrycav81 said:

Ha!  I'd forgotten about that! (Genuinely).
Anyway... It wasn't "All" the stationery (*Note the correct spelling, from someone who did more than just play for the school team! 👀).  It was one item.

It was my only ever attempt at theft... and due to getting caught*, I've never bothered to attempt any form of theft since... so it was for the better, he says, defensively!

*Not sure if I was just a rubbish thief, or someone dobbed me in?  You wouldn't happen to know anything about that would you?  🤪

🍻

18 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Ha!  I'd forgotten about that! (Genuinely).
Anyway... It wasn't "All" the stationery (*Note the correct spelling, from someone who did more than just play for the school team! 👀).  It was one item.

It was my only ever attempt at theft... and due to getting caught*, I've never bothered to attempt any form of theft since... so it was for the better, he says, defensively!

*Not sure if I was just a rubbish thief, or someone dobbed me in?  You wouldn't happen to know anything about that would you?  🤪

🍻

You don’t have much luck do you, one attempt at theft and caught, one attempted punch at a football match and your arrested and handcuffed to some railings. Just coincidence I was there for both honest😀

26 minutes ago, Henrycav81 said:

You don’t have much luck do you, one attempt at theft and caught, one attempted punch at a football match and your arrested and handcuffed to some railings. Just coincidence I was there for both honest😀

Then there's that time back in April 1975, I went to my first ever football match, saw them given a beautiful shiny trophy and become crowned as the country's No1 team, so I obviously chose them as my team for life... etc, etc...

#born loser, me!   🤣

2 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Then there's that time back in April 1975, I went to my first ever football match, saw them given a beautiful shiny trophy and become crowned as the country's No1 team, so I obviously chose them as my team for life... etc, etc...

#born loser, me!   🤣

That last game of 74/75 was against Carlisle United we won the league and they finished bottom 

We play Carlisle United at home last game of this season, we’re going to win the league and Carlisle are going to finish bottom it’s fate I tell thee

22 hours ago, hintonsboots said:

Was @bimmerman on there ?

Youll find I am, giving context to why Aimson was getting s*** from the stansfield stand.

For context alluding to your other attempted wind up post, no I'm not an exeter season ticket holder, but, and this is no secret, I'm bringing my kids up as exeter fans as it's where they were born, live and  their grandad has been a lifelong city fan, so do go to Exeter games with some frequency and am a trust member as for 2 quid a month it helps keep locals employed, of whom some I grew up with,all of which has been on this forum for somewhere around 3 or 4 years now, it's no secret. I was raised a Derby fan and still am,it connects me with a part of my life that is otherwise pretty dead, your other post has it the wrong way round.