Exeter City v Derby - Match Day Thread

Heisenberg

16 hours ago, Brammie Steve said:

As a poor sick elderly person myself....do i detect a note of sarcasm here?

Interested Thinking GIF by reactionseditor

The political element was emphasising the rhetorical nature of the question. And no, I haven’t thought much of the Conservative Party since Margaret Thatcher went hard right. Although that my statement applies to them throughout their entire history.

15 hours ago, Turk Thrust said:

Just shows that you can’t read too much into the match stats.

Until these suit Derby at which point they'll pop up again in a flash. But have you considered the possibility it was the scoreline that was "false" rather than the stats? Seeing as they are a broader sample and football is notoriously unfair.

More than anything it shows how blinkered fans are by results. On chances created (objective no emotion bias or agendas) we didn't deserve to win the game, yet nobody out of a 100 seems to think so.

1 minute ago, ap04 said:

Until these suit Derby at which point they'll pop up again in a flash. But have you considered the possibility it was the scoreline that was "false" rather than the stats? Seeing as they are a broader sample and football is notoriously unfair.

More than anything it shows how blinkered fans are by results. On chances created (objective no emotion bias or agendas) we didn't deserve to win the game, yet nobody out of a 100 seems to think so.

Yep. But chances created against shots are a number and therefore create a statistic.

4 minutes ago, ap04 said:

We created 3 clear cut chances, compared to their 1... not sure why that is blinkered, also shows we deserved to win the game 🤨

26 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Charles Breakspear was in action last night at Newport. In his previous 8 matches he’d dished out an amazing 53 yellow, and 5 red cards.Last night at Newport v Notts County nothing, zilch, zero!

Thinks someone may have had a word about all the bloody paperwork!

giphy.gif...😁

16 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

For all that folk might wax lyrical over Exeter's football, they've created the square root of FA

33' woodwork
58' inches away from free header tap in
66' Ebu last ditch a yard wide with Wildsmith wrong footed
93' Sitter inches over
(just the clear-cut ones, they also had lesser moments 6' 7' 56' 68' 93' and 96', twice as many as ours but which you can ignore)

Now waiting for our count expecting it to reach double figures.

1 hour ago, whiteroseram said:

I will admit to being very naughty and being sat in the Exeter end (free ticket is a free ticket, can't afford nice things), front row right by the pitch, with some Exeter supporting mates, so had a slightly different view. Some interesting points that jumped out 

KW is super talented with magic moments, but 1st half when he was on my side of the pitch he didn't seem to have any idea what his role was. CN and NML constantly telling him to move forwards or backwards. No ones fault really, but he's a wing-back playing RN's role really 

CN is such a leader, partly jumped out because I noticed him talking KW through a lot 

CE is looking better every game, finally some depth there

Everyone around commented on EA, nothing we don't already know, what a guy 

When I told Exeter mates that MB had left and loaned back they assumed he was off to a far bigger team than Bristol.. Just worth reminding ourselves how much he stands out to those seeing us for the 1st time 

The quality of subs, Exeter subs are league 2 quality, ours aren't a massive drop off and can offer slightly different roles

Chicken curry pie was excellent/ pint was poor 

Game management, most of ours biggest critisim recently, was excellent this time around 

Did I miss anything? 

Good comments generally but a couple of things.

We didn't get any beer - be grateful for what you had!

I see it as a positive that two more experienced players were coaching Kane Wilson out there.

Knowing Kane he probably asked for the help. He's young, at a new club where he's been played in several different roles and formations already without a steady run in any one of them. He's eager to learn and that is all to his credit. 

1 minute ago, ap04 said:

33' woodwork
93' Sitter inches over
(just the clear-cut ones, they also had lesser moments 6' 7' 56' 68' 93' and 96', twice as many as ours but which you can ignore)

33' missed

58' missed

66' missed

93' missed

6' 7' 56' 68' 93'again and 96' all missed...I think you're missing the point 😊

3 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Just seen Boltons next 7 league games include 5 away fixtures. Travelling over 1,100 miles. 

Also that from now until after they play us on the 16th of March they’ve to play every Tuesday to catch up on missed games. 

They’ve already picked up injuries to their best Defender and best striker Santos and Charles. Could see them getting a bit of a burn out with them fixtures. 

Big few weeks to try build a gap over them. 

Adding to this 

As the league has split into a top 7 and the rest in my opinion. 

Bolton have to play all other 6 teams in that top 7 

Portsmouth have to play 5 of the other 6 (They’ve played Stevenage twice) 

where as after Saturday we have to play just 3 of the 6 ( Portsmouth, Bolton and Barnsley) 

2 hours ago, May Contain Nuts said:

Playing alongside a more greedy player was just one example, using it as an example doesn't mean I'm stating it as a fact that he is.

Without watching Notts County play any 'take' would have to involve some guesswork, but a quick look at transfermarkt shows that he's been used more as an attacking midfielder & even on the wing this season. They're the 2nd highest scorers in their league, with Macaulay Langstaff their top scorer (22 goals in 31 appearances) so you'd have to assume they see McGoldrick's role as more of a support player than the main striker.

It seems to work for them, they're happ[y with it. It doesn't mean that their manager is getting less out of him than Warne did, or he's having a 'worse' season. It's about the team.

mcg23.JPG.aad93242ff20008676df87f6d6e82412.JPGvsmck24.JPG.1dc671d738bf7c1b5f59252a855e0fe5.JPG

He's hardly played as a CF. He's also a year older, which when talking about 36 year olds can be a massive difference - see the difference in Curtis Davies over 2 seasons - although I don't think that's actually the case here.

And what about his time at Derby. What were the other factors there.

38 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

And what about his time at Derby. What were the other factors there.

Most of the positives listed above. He was still scoring goals in the 2021/22 season at Premier League level so had clearly developed as a player rather a lot since his last spell in League one in 2012/13.  When it came to facing League One defences for us he took the piss out of them with his ability to find space, hold onto the ball and see things one or two steps ahead of his opponents and some of his passing deserved more assists than it ended up producing.

There is some credit for Warne there, in that he didn't waste his talents by asking him to do a job that didn't suit him (unlike, say, Pearson with Martin - but Pearson did that because he wanted him out of the club and to justify bringing his own playes in) , but to not take advantage would have been criminal. He also scored a few free kicks, the manager doesn't affect a player's ability to strike a dead ball past a wall from 25-30 yards.

There were people last season claiming that we were too reliant on McGoldrick , to the detriment of the team as a whole because meant that the opportunities weren't shared around. I don't subscribe to that view though.

You only have to look at Jordan Rhodes' & Chris Martin's scoring records this season vs their last 4 or 5 in the Championship, or even look at Waghorn's start here before injury to see that a step down to League One after a few fallow years in the Championship can seemingly turn them into world-beaters. The managers play a part, but sometimes it really is as simple as the level of opposition faced being the biggest contributory factor.

It may also give people cause to think that perhaps the step back up to The Championship isn't as small as they're making it out to be.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

2 hours ago, ap04 said:

Ive been watching derby since the late 60's and never once bothered about stats,have i been missing something.🤔

1 hour ago, ap04 said:

33' woodwork
93' Sitter inches over

I find it really sad that a 'Derby fan' sits down and watches a match noting every slight chance, none of which really troubled our goalie, that the opposition had and in fact makes a note on 10 different occasions.

On the other hand we actually troubled their goalie on six occasions, 3 of which ended up in the net, 2 resulted in decent saves from Elder and Bird plus the save from Collins, which should have been put away. In addition to this there were the 2 great opportunities for NML and Barks which could have been finished better, those were proper chances.

1 hour ago, ap04 said:

33' woodwork
93' Sitter inches over

Yep, just about made double-figures :

3' NML header, just over

5' Collins shot straight at keeper

24' Bird's GOAL

42' Bird's shot saved low down by keeper

45' Elder shot saved low down by keeper

52' NML GOAL

62' Barkhuizen GOAL

65' NML blazes over with only keeper to beat

70' Barkhuizen mis-kicks 10 yards out with only keeper to beat

73' Nelson shot blocked

The BOLD I'd call good chances, the italics I'd call speculative shots that caused the keeper to make a decent save, the others were unsuccessful efforts on goal.

Whatever metric you choose, we deserved to win (xG was 1.27 - 0.98 in our favour, shots on target 6 - 2 in our favour). Perhaps we didn't deserve to win 3-0, but that was where the decisiveness and extra quality came in.

34 minutes ago, ram59 said:

I find it really sad that a 'Derby fan' sits down and watches a match noting every slight chance, none of which really troubled our goalie, that the opposition had and in fact makes a note on 10 different occasions.

It is a bit odd, but I've always had Ap4 down as a bit of a parody account, intentionally presenting this info in a way which makes the position of those who the dismiss and ridicule the use of stats stronger. I can definitely picture one or two posters being sad enough to create a second account & use a VPN just to do that, tbh.

Even so it does still tell you something - all those opportunities and they didn't test our keeper? That doesn't point to us defending well (although we did a lot of good)  it points to the opposition being bloody rubbish whenever it actually mattered  - If the boot was on the other foot we'd be frustrated and saying how poor we were.

Edited by May Contain Nuts