Exeter City v Derby - Match Day Thread

Heisenberg

38 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'm not sure at what point in time people lost focus of what the idea of the game is.

Football is about scoring at one end and not conceding at the other end.

Doing lots of pointless passes does not make you a better football team because you get absolutely nothing for doing lots of passes.

They were better at keeping the ball than us, that is all.

I remember a time not to long ago when WE knocked it around and would have 70% possession but couldn't score away from home...now who was that manager 😁

3 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

Then I guess if we played a more "streetwise team" the tactics would/could have been different, You have the opposition watched, You come back with a plan, You put that plan in place...except when you play STFC at home, It looks as the coaches are beginning to learn what football is all about.

Isn’t that what generally happens and is no secret?

Having said that, it might not be pretty but such a plan can also work against what you might call “streetwise” (by which I assume you mean teams likely to pose a greater threat) teams.

As I say, from my recollection of the Bolton away game, we were under pressure for a lot of the game (either because we allowed them to dominate possession or they were simply good enough to do it any way) but we very nearly came away with something from what arguable was one of the toughest away fixtures of the season.

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

Isn’t that what generally happens and is no secret?

It's only what I've heard 😁, As it looks like the person who was sent to STFC got lost, PW sets his team up with 5 at the back against a team that was 6th from bottom, He admitted his mistake and changed his tactics...or changed tac in mid stream🙄

And as an aside...wasn't the Bolton game heavily influenced by a fcuking sh!t ref👍 

8 minutes ago, angieram said:

On the crowd noise, we were split into three sections, seated (yes 😲) on the side beneath the radio Derby commentary, then two separate standing areas behind the goal, one set slightly in front of the other.

Hence there were different chants starting in each section and not necessarily being picked up by the other areas. 

There was plenty of noise but it was a bit chaotic. 

Spot on Angie - I was in the furthest section away from our seated fans, and loads of chants were started around me that weren't picked up by the centre-right section.

48 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'm not sure at what point in time people lost focus of what the idea of the game is.

Football is about scoring at one end and not conceding at the other end.

Doing lots of pointless passes does not make you a better football team because you get absolutely nothing for doing lots of passes.

They were better at keeping the ball than us, that is all.

Football matches last the best part of 100 minutes. Our goals combined took about 8 seconds to score. 

It isn’t weird of fans to focus on the other 99 minutes of the match otherwise why not just switch on the highlights an hour after it’s finished? 

It’s frankly ridiculous to suggest they were doing pointless passes.

They were getting it through the lines well but didn’t have the quality to do anything with it.

Remember the difference in the first half is Max Bird wonderfully dribbling past 4 players before pinging it in from 20 yards. They crafted a well worked opportunity for a shot from 20 yards out and it came back off the post. 

I enjoyed the win but to say Exeter weren’t playing good football is just disingenuous. With better players that type of performance gives us a hell of a lot of problems. Luckily for us we have better players as you’d expect with our budget. 

1 hour ago, sage said:

Warne was referring to Cashin in terms of heads turned. 

He has also praised Bird consistently and this week also pointed out he covers more ground than other players.

I'm slightly disappointed that you can't see that playing in a 3 with someone who also covers a lot of ground isn't a major factor.

I'm taking it from Warnes interview after he secured his move.  

10 minutes ago, angieram said:

On the crowd noise, we were split into three sections, seated (yes 😲) on the side beneath the radio Derby commentary, then two separate standing areas behind the goal, one set slightly in front of the other.

Hence there were different chants starting in each section and not necessarily being picked up by the other areas. 

There was plenty of noise but it was a bit chaotic. 

Agree with this...I now remember why I don't like standing, not (just) because I'm old but the view is awful when you are so low down. It was very difficult at times to see what was gaining at the other end.

Also a moan on the roadworks, why so many, 3am I arrived home.....all of it was worth it though 😏

2 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Football matches last the best part of 100 minutes. Our goals combined took about 8 seconds to score. 

It isn’t weird of fans to focus on the other 99 minutes of the match otherwise why not just switch on the highlights an hour after it’s finished? 

It’s frankly ridiculous to suggest they were doing pointless passes.

They were getting it through the lines well but didn’t have the quality to do anything with it.

Remember the difference in the first half is Max Bird wonderfully dribbling past 4 players before pinging it in from 20 yards. They crafted a well worked opportunity for a shot from 20 yards out and it came back off the post. 

I enjoyed the win but to say Exeter weren’t playing good football is just disingenuous. With better players that type of performance gives us a hell of a lot of problems. Luckily for us we have better players as you’d expect with our budget. 

They played pretty football but never did I think it was good. I can see why it's referred to as pointless, it was slow, easy to defend against and safe. Chelsea have better players and did something similar in the first half the other night, that was also pointless, possession for possession sake.

It may be good football in your eyes which is fair enough, but for me that type of slow football is not as good as our performance last night, which gave 3 goals and could have been more.

Just now, Returning ram said:

They played pretty football but never did I think it was good. I can see why it's referred to as pointless, it was slow, easy to defend against and safe. Chelsea have better players and did something similar in the first half the other night, that was also pointless, possession for possession sake.

It may be good football in your eyes which is fair enough, but for me that type of slow football is not as good as our performance last night, which gave 3 goals and could have been more.

As I mentioned above - their shot goes in rather than hitting the post and we have to come out a bit more leaving more space. Us going one nil up allowed us to stick to a game plan and execute it perfectly but at 0-0 they looked better than us. We relied on a piece of magic from Bird. They don’t have a player anywhere near as good as Bird. You replace their CB with Cash, their midfielder with Bird, their forward with Collins and get them to play that type of football and it’d be very very effective whilst looking easy on the eye. 

We did well but as mentioned it I had to choose a type of football I’d enjoy theirs more over a season particular with our squad ahead of theirs. 

1 hour ago, On the Ram Page said:

So what’s your take on McGoldrick this season - 12 goals in a lower league (should be much easier to score. So must be playing alongside a greedy player or ones lacking quality, as the fans adore him and his personal circumstances haven’t changed or are better.

what were the other factors in the Derby season which made it so successful- quality of players were obviously not better, 

Playing alongside a more greedy player was just one example, using it as an example doesn't mean I'm stating it as a fact that he is.

Without watching Notts County play any 'take' would have to involve some guesswork, but a quick look at transfermarkt shows that he's been used more as an attacking midfielder & even on the wing this season. They're the 2nd highest scorers in their league, with Macaulay Langstaff their top scorer (22 goals in 31 appearances) so you'd have to assume they see McGoldrick's role as more of a support player than the main striker.

It seems to work for them, they're happ[y with it. It doesn't mean that their manager is getting less out of him than Warne did, or he's having a 'worse' season. It's about the team.

mcg23.JPG.aad93242ff20008676df87f6d6e82412.JPGvsmck24.JPG.1dc671d738bf7c1b5f59252a855e0fe5.JPG

He's hardly played as a CF. He's also a year older, which when talking about 36 year olds can be a massive difference - see the difference in Curtis Davies over 2 seasons - although I don't think that's actually the case here.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

20 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

It's only what I've heard 😁, As it looks like the person who was sent to STFC got lost, PW sets his team up with 5 at the back against a team that was 6th from bottom, He admitted his mistake and changed his tactics...or changed tac in mid stream🙄

And as an aside...wasn't the Bolton game heavily influenced by a fcuking sh!t ref👍 

The Bolton game was influenced by the ref’s big mistake but even at 11 v 11 they were dominating most of the game if my memory serves me correctly, but we were able to absorb the pressure and prevent them scoring until the heavily deflected shot.

I will admit to being very naughty and being sat in the Exeter end (free ticket is a free ticket, can't afford nice things), front row right by the pitch, with some Exeter supporting mates, so had a slightly different view. Some interesting points that jumped out 

KW is super talented with magic moments, but 1st half when he was on my side of the pitch he didn't seem to have any idea what his role was. CN and NML constantly telling him to move forwards or backwards. No ones fault really, but he's a wing-back playing RN's role really 

CN is such a leader, partly jumped out because I noticed him talking KW through a lot 

CE is looking better every game, finally some depth there

Everyone around commented on EA, nothing we don't already know, what a guy 

When I told Exeter mates that MB had left and loaned back they assumed he was off to a far bigger team than Bristol.. Just worth reminding ourselves how much he stands out to those seeing us for the 1st time 

The quality of subs, Exeter subs are league 2 quality, ours aren't a massive drop off and can offer slightly different roles

Chicken curry pie was excellent/ pint was poor 

Game management, most of ours biggest critisim recently, was excellent this time around 

Did I miss anything? 

58 minutes ago, angieram said:

Some of our defending last night was very impressive and should be appreciated in the same way as good offensive moves. Sadly, it seldom is.

It is by this grizzled “old school” defender! 😁

Nyambe, Nelson, Cashin & Elder are the strongest back four in this League and can get us promoted out of this division.

……………..…just a few words about Elder, really begining to look the part, thought he was excellent last night.👍🐏

12 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

The Bolton game was influenced by the ref’s big mistake but even at 11 v 11 they were dominating most of the game if my memory serves me correctly, but we were able to absorb the pressure and prevent them scoring until the heavily deflected shot.

The match was heavily influenced by the ref's THREE BIG mistakes, who's knows what the game would have turned out like?

He missed the early blatant handball for a penalty, that would have changed how the game panned out from an early stage. Hourihane's goal would have put us 2 up, putting a different complexion on the game. Then you factor in Wildsmith wrongly getting sent off with half the match remaining and then their winning goal from a penalty for a foul clearly outside the penalty area.

Had the ref done his job properly, you would think that the match would have panned out quite differently, in terms of style, statistics and probably result also. If ever there was a match that should be replayed, this was it. Had it been a draw we would be 4 points ahead of them now and if we had won the gap would be 7 points. I can't help but fear that the result of that ref's actions will cost us at the end of the season.

31 minutes ago, ram59 said:

The match was heavily influenced by the ref's THREE BIG mistakes, who's knows what the game would have turned out like?

He missed the early blatant handball for a penalty, that would have changed how the game panned out from an early stage. Hourihane's goal would have put us 2 up, putting a different complexion on the game. Then you factor in Wildsmith wrongly getting sent off with half the match remaining and then their winning goal from a penalty for a foul clearly outside the penalty area.

Had the ref done his job properly, you would think that the match would have panned out quite differently, in terms of style, statistics and probably result also. If ever there was a match that should be replayed, this was it. Had it been a draw we would be 4 points ahead of them now and if we had won the gap would be 7 points. I can't help but fear that the result of that ref's actions will cost us at the end of the season.

I agree but, my point is, as the game did actually pan out, we surrendered a lot of possession (by choice, because of the refs incompetence or Bolton’s ability. Probably a combination of all three) but still nearly came away with something.

51 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Charles Breakspear was in action last night at Newport.

In his previous 8 matches he’d dished out an amazing 53 yellow, and 5 red cards.

Last night at Newport v Notts County nothing, zilch, zero!

Thinks someone may have had a word about all the bloody paperwork!