Derby v Shrewsbury Town - Match Day Thread

Today was pathetically bad. The quality of football was absolutely dross.

If Warne gets us up the chances of him keeping us up are zero in my opinion.

I look at what Ipswich did last season and are doing this season and we're a million miles away from what we "could be".

Bottom line is the football isn't good enough, I can accept poor results if we're playing the right way but the football is awful so draws like today become completely unacceptable.

Well I feel your pain and frustration for those that went or watched on TV, We've lost 9 points from winning positions after 85 mins that I can remember, There's something wrong with DCFC, We're 2nd and Shrewsbury are/were 6th from bottom and we struggle, The same with Cheltenham and Charlton, I doubt very much our players go out to under perform, PW said he got the tactics wrong...sorry PW but that's not your job to get things wrong, We should be putting teams like Shrewsbury to the sword...but failed, Have we got that ruthless streak in us? I don't think we have...imo.

PW would have have had STFC watched and yet he admits he called it wrong with the starting 11, Well I've a very good memory and I reckon it's not the 1st time PW has called it wrong this season, Our players are playing to instructions, Those instructions are not very good, This team should be doing better than it is...and yet we're 2nd 🤷‍♂️, It's a very good job that this division is so poor that we can still get autos...wake up DCFC.

I've reached the apathy stage. 

When my lad came downstairs this morning, and said he didn't feel well enough to go, I was kind of relieved. 

I just don't find the disruption to the day worth the time and cost invested, sadly. 

It's the same old performance at home, match after match, against teams who always seem to be 16th-19th in the league when we play them!

27 minutes ago, sage said:

Nothing changes.

We don't play great football. We have enough good players to win more than we lose.

Substitutions made too late. Bradley gives most people palpitations 

We look good enough for top 6.

We don't look good enough to finish top 2.

Only people who are still hanging on to his performances from 3 months ago and are too stubborn to change their opinion on anything.

Edited by G STAR RAM

16 minutes ago, NegativeCreep said:

I look at what Ipswich did last season and are doing this season and we're a million miles away from what we "could be".

Bottom line is the football isn't good enough, I can accept poor results if we're playing the right way but the football is awful so draws like today become completely unacceptable.

My dad and brother are Saints fans and one of my best mates is an Ipswich supporter. Hate to say it but I am jealous 🥲

I’m still on a train back having left home at 10am this morning.

I was really looking forward to the game. My mood altered when I saw the starting lineup. Three central defenders at home against a team with no forwards.

As expected we created nothing first half.

Bradley is a waste of space and his inclusion and the inclusion of Hourihane, weaken us.

Ward and Sibley were too cautious.

If we lost NML our season would be over. He’s the only one who plays with ambition.

CBT must be poor if he can’t get a game.

Only half an hour to go….

Well I had a few extra today to anesthetise me against what we were about to watch, but it didn't work - it was still painful!

The match officials were awful, yet again throughout the entire match, with the frustrating things being the consistent offsides for virtually every time we seemed to have broken through their lines. It would be interesting for forum members who sit in the East and West stands who may be in line with the play to tell us just how many times we really are offside. Are we just that bad at beating the offside trap? Especially s the first time Shrewsbury break clear the player is 4 or 5 yards offside but Eddie the Eagle-eyed linesman didn't see it! But the biggest issue is the holding and wrestling at corner kicks. Twice the ref gave a warning to Bradley and his opponent for the day, the second time signalling  "I'm watching you", then watched Bradley being bear-hugged over 8 or 9 yards but gave nothing, followed by Barkhuisen getting the same treatment, this time with his shirt being pulled 2 feet away from his body. All three times the ball was in play, so should have been penalties. Then Adams got hauled to the floor, and no he wasn't wrestling back, just trying to move toward the ball. But the ref proved he'd got n o balls by carding both of them. And while Adams was lying on the floor he was deliberately kicked by another defender, which in the days of real refs and real football rules is a red card. Although Hourihane was very lucky to not get a red card for that stupid challenge in the second half

So we could, and should have had two penalties, but it wasn't the ref who cost us the match. It was Paul Warne. He admitted to getting his line-up wrong for the first half, and the changes for the second half turned the match on its head. We were "tearing them a new one" for the spell up until the goal, and suddenly the league positions weren't lying. "Oohh this looks good" I foolishly thought. "Carry on like this and we will win comfortably"! Not thinking for a minute that having looked like a tactical clever man we wouldn't follow through. But Warne "Billy Davis'd it and got us sitting back defending the lead. And as ever, it only takes one bit of poor defending and the points were down the lav. HOW STUPID! HOW ABSOLUTELY STUPID!!!

And apart from one bit of bd defending, I can't fault the players today, apart from being forced to do what Warne says. The loss of points is purely down to making the team sit back once we've scored the one goal, because we have done it so many times, and we have paid the price far more times than we should have done. In terms of late goals alone, someone has posted that we have thrown  9 points away. We could literally be several points clear in first place. And that without having really turned up for mor than a few minutes all season, its just that this league is so diabolically bad even a team that is playing as poorly as we do can still be up near the top. 

Listening to Warne's RD interview on the wat home, he did admit to getting his team selection wrong for the first half, but then put the blame for not going for the jugular on the players not being clinical enough. apparently it wasn't because he got them sitting back. He's dumped blame on the players before now, several times, but toward the end of the interview criticised them for not "Seeing the game out and taking our time". To me that is a giveaway that the players didn't fail because they weren't ruthless enough, but failed to "see the game out", which is another way of saying "sitting back on a 1 - 0 lead. Sorry Paul, this one is entirely on you. 

And before Paul Warne or the happy clapper moan about the fans turning on him too easily, think again. The support was stupendous today, probably the best its been for a while, because it carried on for the full 90.

Sorry guys - its automatic or bust this season. We are capable of winning the play-off final, but for that we'd have to turn up, Warne would have to use the right tactics, and crucially, having got those things right, we'd still be in the hands of the match officials. With decent refereeing our useless tactics wouldn't have mattered today.

Edited by DavesaRam

3 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I’m still on a train back having left home at 10am this morning.

I was really looking forward to the game. My mood altered when I saw the starting lineup. Three central defenders at home against a team with no forwards.

As expected we created nothing first half.

Bradley is a waste of space and his inclusion and the inclusion of Hourihane, weaken us.

Ward and Sibley were too cautious.

If we lost NML our season would be over. He’s the only one who plays with ambition.

CBT must be poor if he can’t get a game.

Only half an hour to go….

I thought Bradley did OK except for one occasion when he was forced into hoofing it with his much weaker right foot. I certainly don’t think he weakened us unless you’re comparing him directly with Cashin in which case, any replacement would have “weakened” us.

Not great, I would have gone 433 today, but thats easy for me to say, positives, we are still 2nd, no game is easy especially against teams fighting off relegation at this stage of the season,  still remaining positive and 15 games left, there will be ups and downs, still believe we have enough to go up, hope we get Wag and Wash back soon, as we need more forward options over the reminder of the season, on to Exeter now, then big games coming up against  Stevenage and Barnsley, looking forward to seeing how  the end of the season pans out. Once A Ram Always A Ram. 

Edited by DerbyAleMan

38 minutes ago, NegativeCreep said:

I look at what Ipswich did last season and are doing this season and we're a million miles away from what we "could be"

With a £16m wage bill and about £8m transfer spend - in league 1. Yes no wonder Ipswich did amazing things last season. Their budget was way bigger than everyone. 

What they’re doing this season though against those championship budgets is exceptional.

18 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Well I had a few extra today to anesthetise me against what we were about to watch, but it didn't work - it was still painful!

The match officials were awful, yet again throughout the entire match, with the frustrating things being the consistent offsides for virtually every time we seemed to have broken through their lines. It would be interesting for forum members who sit in the East and West stands who may be in line with the play to tell us just how many times we really are offside. Are we just that bad at beating the offside trap? Especially s the first time Shrewsbury break clear the player is 4 or 5 yards offside but Eddie the Eagle-eyed linesman didn't see it! But the biggest issue is the holding and wrestling at corner kicks. Twice the ref gave a warning to Bradley and his opponent for the day, the second time signalling  "I'm watching you", then watched Bradley being bear-hugged over 8 or 9 yards but gave nothing, followed by Barkhuisen getting the same treatment, this time with his shirt being pulled 2 feet away from his body. All three times the ball was in play, so should have been penalties. Then Adams got hauled to the floor, and no he wasn't wrestling back, just trying to move toward the ball. But the ref proved he'd got n o balls by carding both of them. And while Adams was lying on the floor he was deliberately kicked by another defender, which in the days of real refs and real football rules is a red card. Although Hourihane was very lucky to not get a red card for that stupid challenge in the second half

So we could, and should have had two penalties, but it wasn't the ref who cost us the match. It was Paul Warne. He admitted to getting his line-up wrong for the first half, and the changes for the second half turned the match on its head. We were "tearing them a new one" for the spell up until the goal, and suddenly the league positions weren't lying. "Oohh this looks good" I foolishly thought. "Carry on like this and we will win comfortably"! Not thinking for a minute that having looked like a tactical clever man we wouldn't follow through. But Warne "Billy Davis'd it and got us sitting back defending the lead. And as ever, it only takes one bit of poor defending and the points were down the lav. HOW STUPID! HOW ABSOLUTELY STUPID!!!

And apart from one bit of bd defending, I can't fault the players today, apart from being forced to do what Warne says. The loss of points is purely down to making the team sit back once we've scored the one goal, because we have done it so many times, and we have paid the price far more times than we should have done. In terms of late goals alone, someone has posted that we have thrown  9 points away. We could literally be several points clear in first place. And that without having really turned up for mor than a few minutes all season, its just that this league is so diabolically bad even a team that is playing as poorly as we do can still be up near the top. 

Listening to Warne's RD interview on the wat home, he did admit to getting his team selection wrong for the first half, but then put the blame for not going for the jugular on the players not being clinical enough. apparently it wasn't because he got them sitting back. He's dumped blame on the players before now, several times, but toward the end of the interview criticised them for not "Seeing the game out and taking our time". To me that is a giveaway that the players didn't fail because they weren't ruthless enough, but failed to "see the game out", which is another way of saying "sitting back on a 1 - 0 lead. Sorry Paul, this one is entirely on you. 

And before Paul Warne or the happy clapper moan about the fans turning on him too easily, think again. The support was stupendous today, probably the best its been for a while, because it carried on for the full 90.

Sorry guys - its automatic or bust this season. We are capable of winning the play-off final, but for that we'd have to turn up, Warne would have to use the right tactics, and crucially, having got those things right, we'd still be in the hands of the match officials. With decent refereeing our useless tactics wouldn't have mattered today.

Couple of things:-

Every single offside decision in the first half, at least, was correct in my opinion. 

At what point did Warne come out and tell all of the players to sit back and defend the 1-0 lead?

The support wasn't stupendous. Booing your team when drawing is anything but stupendous.

20 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I thought Bradley did OK except for one occasion when he was forced into hoofing it with his much weaker right foot. I certainly don’t think he weakened us unless you’re comparing him directly with Cashin in which case, any replacement would have “weakened” us.

Anyone even mentioning Bradleys performance today isn't really watching the game and is just resorting to the same old criticisms of Warne.

1 hour ago, NegativeCreep said:

Very impressed with your chosen forum name. Suits you admirably 

I am not a fan of Warne’s brand of football to state the obvious. What was that at home in the first half ! 3 centre half’s vs no forward and if not for NML we wouldn’t have had a shot on goal - Bradley in the middle with a very dodgy first 20 minutes and poor old Nelson pushed wide left centre half - did we even practice that mess ?

Anyway second half looked better in terms of trying with Bird nicking a goal from a bouncing set piece and Hourahan having a decent free kick saved, we don’t threaten it seems from open play unless NML actually gets the ball.

Adams looks decent which says a massive amount about the Fornah signing 

Did we deserve the 3 points, not really because we did hardly anything whilst Shrewsbury weren’t bothered about entertainment or anything like that

I Hope we can get automatic promotion and let Warne stay in the third division back at his Rotherham 

2 hours ago, nottingram said:

I wonder if one of these days we might try and actually out football one of these crap outfits who turn up to play like this, or whether we will continue to willingly play them at exactly the game they want us to.

When you play win at all costs football and don’t win then you should absolutely expect criticism.

The thing is, PW knew how Shrewsbury would play, he talked about it pre match and yet he still got the tactics wrong. The lack of nous is soul destroying at times, it really is. We barely won any second balls, kept playing head tennis and the number of risky passes at the back was terrifying. We were playing a team in the bottom six who have been beaten by every one of our promotion rivals this season and yet they have taken 4 points out of 6 off us. Why does this stuff keep happening? 

Judging by the reaction to this result, I think I’ll be all alone in the away end on Tuesday.

It’s disappointing to drop two points, but as we have seen that’s the norm for sides in our position. Why some people think we should be above it is beyond me.

Some people just fail to take any kind of perspective from the game. Look at the outpouring of anger after a draw. Can you imagine the reaction if we were getting hammered at home by Orient like Pompey were a few short weeks ago? Or getting whipped by Wycombe and conceding five like Peterborough today? I dread to think what it would be like if that was us.

Every game is a potential trip hazard at this stage and teams will do their very best to disrupt us which it sounds like Shrewsbury did very well, similar to Cheltenham before them.

Every team in the run in will look to do the same. Exeter on Tuesday will look to do a job on us too and it will be another tricky game to negotiate. We will do well to win.

Every team in the mix will have games where they contrive to take a poor result from a winnable game. This time it was us. We have 15 games to play and there will be highs and lows, twists and turns, good performances and bad, good results and bad, but we have to stick by the team.