Ebou Adams - Signed on 3 year deal

£1m is a huge fee for Adams all things considered, and I’m not sure I’d have paid that if I was in charge of recruitment. There are probably other options out there who are better for that money. That said, he was exceptional for us last season, and we absolutely would not have got promoted without him - so I’m still delighted that he’s making his move permanent.

FWIW, I wouldn’t be too worried about the absolutely value of the fee. I’m confident we can afford fees like that, especially with the extra money coming in from Kellyman. It’s just that it feels like an overpayment based on Adams experience and contract situation - but I’m sure we should still have plenty of budget left for further signings. And we’re going to need them.

Go to any Championship club and offer them a player who would be amongst the first names on the team sheet, who knows the club and is loved by the fans and staff, for less than a million (and within budget) and I'd be pretty sure they'd all bite your hand off. We're only questioning the fee because the rumours at the start of the window were shockingly low and we got our hopes up.

He's in contract and has an option for another year (allegedly), so he was never going to be a pennies on the pound sale. He's already a big reason as to why we're not playing in League One next year, and if he helps keep us up and consolidate then the fee will be a bargain.

This isn't Bradley Johnson for £6m, it's a proven commodity for less than £900k and a good chunk of that will be structured add-ons. Get a grip.

1 minute ago, FKANorwichExile said:

Go to any Championship club and offer them a player who would be amongst the first names on the team sheet, who knows the club and is loved by the fans and staff, for less than a million (and within budget) and I'd be pretty sure they'd all bite your hand off. We're only questioning the fee because the rumours at the start of the window were shockingly low and we got our hopes up.

He's in contract and has an option for another year (allegedly), so he was never going to be a pennies on the pound sale. He's already a big reason as to why we're not playing in League One next year, and if he helps keep us up and consolidate then the fee will be a bargain.

This isn't Bradley Johnson for £6m, it's a proven commodity for less than £900k and a good chunk of that will be structured add-ons. Get a grip.

Well said

It will be undisclosed.

Probably 650k plus bolt ons for appearances.

That is a great deal for an international player.

Good God, we paid through the nose for countless players during the reign of MM. Also:

Derek Hales for 400k in late 70s

Gary Charles for 750k in 93

Claude for 3m in 06

6m for Butterfield and 4m for Anya and 3m for Blackman

Ebou achieved more in 17 games than the sum total of all the above in numerous seasons.

I also think we probably got zero back on all the above, or pretty much zero

Edited by Ram a lamb a ding dong

1 hour ago, SirBrian said:

Adams arrived in January helping Derby win promotion, how much extra will the club make in the championship over 12 months?

Would we have gained promotion without Adams, my opinion is probably not, so if the fee is £650,000 then he his worth it.

Exactly. Without him, we probably don't go up and how much is that worth? Plenty more than what we will pay. Quite frankly, some people are talking absolute rubbish.

A million quid in football terms is really not a lot now let's be honest. It will be structured in a way that spreads it on the course of the contract and not likely to really represent 7 figures spent unless he hits certain milestones. In terms of revenue its probably the gross income of 2 home games, maybe 1 and a half

Where's the risk? We know exactly what we're getting and he already got us promoted, didn't he? What value are folk attaching to that? Seems to me that he paid his own fee several times over before we even bid for him.

I also agree with @Will Hughes Hair's assessment; Ebou is not simply a water carrier and I'm not sure how anyone could watch him play and still arrive at that conclusion. For the direct and indirect benefits, £650k is buttons and Ebou will no doubt illustrate that point as soon as he's back on the Pride Park turf. I think this is one of the lowest risk deals we've made in decades and I suspect Clowes knows more about what he can afford and what our business plan can sustain than anyone on here, so perhaps we might give him the respect of supporting his calls until we've a reason not to?

He clearly isn't technically good enough for this level. Whilst I offer no metric to validate this statement, I can confidently say this after seeing him play a couple of times, plus reading the matchday threads on here. Also, "technically" means totally different things to different people, so I can proved right in certain contexts.

Yes, the type of player he is might perfectly complement the skills of different players in the team, but we all now know that players should be purely judged on context free stats and that every player performs identically in every team they play.

This is why the value of a player is totally objective and all players have an exact worth that you should never pay more than. I know all player values to within a 25k bracket and, let me tell you, we have overpaid by at least 75k. I also know exactly what the deal will be, so can confidently compare the actual deal value with my precise valuation.

8 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

He clearly isn't technically good enough for this level. Whilst I offer no metric to validate this statement, I can confidently say this after seeing him play a couple of times, plus reading the matchday threads on here. Also, "technically" means totally different things to different people, so I can proved right in certain contexts.

Yes, the type of player he is might perfectly complement the skills of different players in the team, but we all now know that players should be purely judged on context free stats and that every player performs identically in every team they play.

This is why the value of a player is totally objective and all players have an exact worth that you should never pay more than. I know all player values to within a 25k bracket and, let me tell you, we have overpaid by at least 75k. I also know exactly what the deal will be, so can confidently compare the actual deal value with my precise valuation.

Torn that strawman to shreds to be fair

Ebou is worth £1m to us - he’s probably earned that in the increased revenue he’s already earned the club. We don’t get promoted without him, absolutely no chance. 

all that being said, I’d have probably spent the extra to bring Erarhon to Derby in place just based on age. Comparative numbers statistically but Erarhon is 7 years younger and therefore has resale value. I’m not sure Ebou does. 

33 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

The England players aren't technically good enough for this level. Whilst I offer no metric to validate this statement, I can confidently say this after seeing them play a couple of times in the euros, plus reading match day threads on here.......🤔

I think the "technically" not good enough comes from a few rash runs or decisions on the ball last season where he got scolded by his team mates. But thinking about it he didn't have any outlets in midfield during those spells. He'll look much better with better players around him he can move it to next season.

1 hour ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

It will be undisclosed.

Probably 650k plus bolt ons for appearances.

That is a great deal for an international player.

Good God, we paid through the nose for countless players during the reign of MM. Also:

Derek Hales for 400k in late 70s

Gary Charles for 750k in 93

Claude for 3m in 06

6m for Butterfield and 4m for Anya and 3m for Blackman

Ebou achieved more in 17 games than the sum total of all the above in numerous seasons.

I also think we probably got zero back on all the above, or pretty much zero

That’s more than harsh on Gary Charles, he did well for us (bar the calamitous error against Forest).  And we made a decent profit on him.

31 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Ebou is worth £1m to us - he’s probably earned that in the increased revenue he’s already earned the club. We don’t get promoted without him, absolutely no chance. 

all that being said, I’d have probably spent the extra to bring Erarhon to Derby in place just based on age. Comparative numbers statistically but Erarhon is 7 years younger and therefore has resale value. I’m not sure Ebou does. 

Need another midfielder. Go sign Erhahon aswell 😉