Ebou Adams - Joined on loan until end of the season

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Sheepinthedales said:

I'm sure with our budget or boardroom brains, we won't be paying £1.5m for him, no

That would seem a fairly safe assumption given they're only asking 500k 🤔

£300-£375k with add-ons and we move to the next target. 

Edited by Comrade 86

I'd absolutely love to get this guy signed up but the budget is what the budget is and we have several areas that need strengthening including goalscoring and that is never cheap. If we can't get him for a sensible sum because Cardiff play hard ball and are quoting fantasy numbers for a guy in the last year of his contract, then reluctantly we'll have to move on. Whatever way you look at it, the case for the long overdue 'physical presence' has been comprehensively made.

The consensus on Cardiff forums is largely the same as ours  : £500k would be about right but screw us for more if they can. They're up against it a little on FFP, so it seems there's a deal to be done, unless Vincent Tan is as contrary as Chanserai at SWFC.

I didn’t particularly rate him when he first came. He provided balance and was immense as a screen but gave the ball away more than he actually won it.

But as soon as Smith came back in it changed.

Smith was the one sitting a little deeper, picking passes from deep and keeping things tidy.

This allowed Adams to start rampaging forward. He was still the steel of the midfield but he was using his energy to get forward as well as just putting his foot in.

Just something I noticed.

10 hours ago, cannable said:

I didn’t particularly rate him when he first came. He provided balance and was immense as a screen but gave the ball away more than he actually won it.

But as soon as Smith came back in it changed.

Smith was the one sitting a little deeper, picking passes from deep and keeping things tidy.

This allowed Adams to start rampaging forward. He was still the steel of the midfield but he was using his energy to get forward as well as just putting his foot in.

Just something I noticed.

This also resulted in Smith playing some of his best football with us.

14 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

This also resulted in Smith playing some of his best football with us.

Smith and Bradley really stepped up towards the end of the season when we needed them most. Nelson and Cash were great for the majority of the season, but I thought Bradley was a colossus over the last month. Similarly, Smith really came into his own around the same time as well. I love that we really carried no one this year. At different times in the season everyone has contributed something.

14 hours ago, Ram1988 said:

Adams, Smith and Thompson woule be a good start at the centre of midfield. Surley there is a deal to be had with Cardiff. 300k with another 100k of add ons? 

IMHO only Adams from those three is anywhere near the level we will need next season.

Smith is a good solid pro dropping through the divisions and Thompson is little more than a keen runner.

Winning the midfield will be so important and will require strength, stamina and guile.

I think we probably need at least two, possibly three new midfield players in our squad.

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

IMHO only Adams from those three is anywhere near the level we will need next season.

Smith is a good solid pro dropping through the divisions and Thompson is little more than a keen runner.

Winning the midfield will be so important and will require strength, stamina and guile.

I think we probably need at least two, possibly three new midfield players in our squad.

Agree on smith and Thompson, smith should be Adams back up. Like you say Thompson runs a lot. He does seem to be a more positive player now and plays forward a lot more than when first in the side. Would be surprised if Thompson plays much next season. 

We need to replace bird and hourihane I’d say. Brannagan or Sheehan be ideal for bird.

6 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Think you are being very harsh on Thommo, he’s more than just a keen runner

Totally agree Adams has to be seen as a very important signing as I don’t believe we’d have got autos without him 

when one player makes such a significance it’s important we sign him and then we need a more attacking mid ( Brannigan ?) and another CM 

don’t see Thommo as a starter next season but a good option off the bench 

1 hour ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

Adams  A.Nother  Sibley

As long as A.Nother is a quality DM addition (Nathaniel Chalobah on a free? Bosun Lawal or Tim Iroegbunam on loan maybe?) that'd provide a decent balance to start across midfield IMO. 

Sibley in a midfield 3 - I hope not!

Last night I dreamed I was a Derby County player, we were losing a game 0-1 at halftime and I thought well I better take control of this situation and so decided there and then that I had become the team manager.  There were 3 new players in the team, all clueless of how to play that particular game, 1 fancy central midfielder, 1 full of himself forward and 1 lost in space right back and yeah, I straightened em out on change of tactics and such on the pitch, as I didn't allow the team into the dressing room, they had not earned that right.

Losing the game was out of the question and the key to my whole tactical solution reasoning was Ebou, my main man, and I was looking for him so that I could tell him the plan of him pulling a couple of meters back in midfield, but he was not there.  Where is Ebou, where is my precious Adams, I loudly inquired.  He's in the bathroom, gaffer, someone yelled.  The dream ended with the whole team waiting on the pitch for Ebou to finish his business, while I wondered whether the full of himself new forward actually understood a word of English.

On 03/05/2024 at 19:26, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

Adams  A.Nother  Sibley

As long as A.Nother is a quality DM addition (Nathaniel Chalobah on a free? Bosun Lawal or Tim Iroegbunam on loan maybe?) that'd provide a decent balance to start across midfield IMO. 

Sibley is a LWB no chance in a 3 man midfield.

12 hours ago, ramit said:

Last night I dreamed I was a Derby County player, we were losing a game 0-1 at halftime and I thought well I better take control of this situation and so decided there and then that I had become the team manager.  There were 3 new players in the team, all clueless of how to play that particular game, 1 fancy central midfielder, 1 full of himself forward and 1 lost in space right back and yeah, I straightened em out on change of tactics and such on the pitch, as I didn't allow the team into the dressing room, they had not earned that right.

Losing the game was out of the question and the key to my whole tactical solution reasoning was Ebou, my main man, and I was looking for him so that I could tell him the plan of him pulling a couple of meters back in midfield, but he was not there.  Where is Ebou, where is my precious Adams, I loudly inquired.  He's in the bathroom, gaffer, someone yelled.  The dream ended with the whole team waiting on the pitch for Ebou to finish his business, while I wondered whether the full of himself new forward actually understood a word of English.

What was the final result?