Derby v Cheltenham Town - Match Day Thread

24 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Nope. Can't be arsed. We both know that statement is true (our budget is top end, if not the top one in the league so almost certainly is true). We certainly have a deeper squad than Cheltenham. 

Can't be arsed or just realise that your statement us hyperbole based on nothing?

44 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I didn’t watch today as I was busy with wedding preparations, but seen enough of this season to know that there will be hyperbole and the bad will be super-imposed and over-egged.

The performance was pretty dreadful, no hyperbole. 

We played our 'Get out of jail' card today. Won't get away with it again.

Its probably been 4 games now where we just haven't turned up - and concerningly it feels like we aren't addressing the issues.

The performance was poor,  the players were both sloppy and had no options. Hard to see what we intended.

Points-wise we are still in it, but the performances need to improve drastically before our luck runs out.

26 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Yes, Ipswich should have beaten Maidstone. They didn't, but if I was an Ipswich fan I would be criticising their manager, I don't exactly see your point. 

Sometimes you have to credit the opposition.

I had this on while wedding prepping. Maidstone put in an heroic effort and reminded people why the FA Cup is such an incredible competition.

If I was an Ipswich fan, I would simply be applauding Maidstone.

Ipswich played well, threw everything at Maidstone, but those players played the game of their lives.

5 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

It’s a fickle game, we all know that.

But: the better we play, the more chance we have of promotion. And at the moment we’re not getting any better. 

I always thought: the more games you win, the more chance you have of promotion?

At the moment, we have won 11, drawn two and lost three since the end of October.

We won 6 of our first 13 games.

By that metric, we are getting better?

4 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

So we obviously are skint and the likelihood of further incomings this January are slim.

If we are skint then it follows that Warne won't be going anywhere any time soon.

Who seems unwilling or unable to change the modus operandi of his team.

So what changes then?

Except that after a dire first half, he did change it and we won. 

yes, Warne seems wedded too much to Bird Hourihan, that’s for sure. We were so much better with Fornah and Tommo on the front foot.

but looking way beyond tactics and all the anti Warne statements on here ….If you look at that first half (and it was a horrible watch )  It’s the players who are misplacing passes, it’s the players who aren’t passing and moving, it’s the players who aren’t showing for the ball, it’s the players who need 3 touches before deciding to pass the ball sideways. Berate Warne all day long but for me a heck of a lot of that first half misery rests with the players today. And for all those saying Warne hasn’t got a plan B ? .. looks like he did have didn’t he ! 3 at the back did work .. funny game football. 

Nelson, Collo, Sibs (and Bird for 45 minutes ) the stand outs for me in what was a fine example of League one football .. God I hope we can escape, that wasn’t pretty 

13 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Can't be arsed or just realise that your statement us hyperbole based on nothing?

It's purely common sense. I'm not going to trawl through all the other squads in the league to prove what we both know is common sense. I know you like to act like this is a court of law, and be ridiculously anal about points that are patently obviously to everyone, but I'm just not keen on playing that game. 

7 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I always thought: the more games you win, the more chance you have of promotion?

At the moment, we have won 11, drawn two and lost three since the end of October.

We won 6 of our first 13 games.

By that metric, we are getting better?

You should apply whatever metric you want Jordan. But until we play like a team that deserves promotion, we should all be worried 

2 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

You should apply whatever metric you want Jordan. But until we play like a team that deserves promotion, we should all be worried 

I am worried because we only have one fit striker and too many of our “stars” have older legs. They don’t turn it on every week because they can’t. I am also worried that our manager is a bit inflexible on his starting midfield; but those things apart, results show that we are a team that are challenging for promotion .. where does your “deserve” come from ? For me they deserve to be where they are on the basis of the results they have achieved over the last 20 odd games.  
Ipswich last year and Peterborough this year are the only teams I have seen recently that played significantly better quality football all round than we do. This is league one, we are in it and in a strong 4th place. It is well deserved ! 

15 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

The performance was pretty dreadful, no hyperbole. 

We played our 'Get out of jail' card today. Won't get away with it again.

Its probably been 4 games now where we just haven't turned up - and concerningly it feels like we aren't addressing the issues.

The performance was poor,  the players were both sloppy and had no options. Hard to see what we intended.

Points-wise we are still in it, but the performances need to improve drastically before our luck runs out.

The performances will improve, but then they will dip and then they will ramp up again.

This is League 1 football and a League 1 team. Consistency of performance is not really compatible with where we are and what we’ve got.

People carry on like the teams around us - Bolton, Portsmouth and Peterborough - play sparkling football game after game. They will have ups and downs too.

I do think a lot of people haven’t detached their expectations from where we were in the Championship. People idealise the type of football we saw in 2013-2015, but this was a team that took five years to build.

We are only in year two of the Clowes era and people are showing the patience of a nursery child learning French.

35 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

You’ve had a downer on this manager ever since he walked through the door.

That’s why it’s been hard work for you.

Even through good spells of results and good performances, the praise is not exactly forthcoming or through gritted teeth.

I’ve watched a good number of games over recent weeks, even travelling all the way from Cornwall to watch us v Lincoln, and all this criticism seems way overblown in the circumstances.

It's not about me. 

It's not about Warne.

It's not personal.

Do you really think it's just me that thinks the football on display is largely poor?

11 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Well we did at Oxford. It seems like we sometimes play like a team that deserves promotion. And other times we don't. A bit like all the other teams trying to get promoted.

1 hour ago, angieram said:

I haven't seen the incident again, and can't recall it from watching the game. No-one round us was worried, perhaps you were closer to it in East Stand.

My point was about the RamsTV gang on here - not one comment about a possible penalty - that's unusual in itself.

looked to me on rtv,as though sibbs was about to tackle on the corner of the box,then realised where he was and pulled out of the tackle,no penalty,but from a distance it may have looked worse

I know a lot of people wanted a Wembley final in the papa johns blue Peter western Holmes community standium cup BUT 

if we hadn’t have kept playing first teamers and we had rested them .. so when I hear it’s the players who play poorly .. kind of think the manager must take his share of the blame. 
he specifically said at the end of last year he played the same olaywrs too often. 

PLAY LIAM THOMPSON you stubborn short sighted man!! 
(Sorry but he does my head in - the crap football

is pathetic. It’s embarrassing. Tedious. If he doesn’t want to play football like Liam that’s fine but what the f@@k is this we keep seeing. 
There’s a world of difference to structured gameplay move the ball forward football. This is kick it and run. That’s why there was boos at half time (I assume). 

my boys team at 11 years old

have a better structure and game plan. 

well played Louis Sibley 

Great goal Collo - fair play 

Max - great strike 

37 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

What other metric am I supposed to apply?

Good results will lead to promotion. Good performances might only lead to glorious failure, as it has done in what must be 80-90% of our promotion attempts in recent memory.

Only three teams can get promoted. If it‘s not us this season, that’ll be because three teams have got better results than us and they will deserve credit for that.

We are in the top six and have a chance of promotion, but good performances on their own guarantee nothing.

6 hours ago, CBRammette said:

And some on here ask what has happened to Sibley - would say those sort of comments on a daily basis are probably what's happened. Like those little comments he used to make always about Didzy. Tommo back plays ok then back on bench. Fornah made good start at club then disappeared. Wildsmith - what's happened there? He's all about certain players like Collo, CH and plays games withe rest. I dont buy the jovial PW act - I think he plays mind games to get the best out of players but actually comes across as snarky and nasty. And will never get best out of people.  If he's like that in public..... 

if he starts CH next match says everything about him as a manager

You've managed to summarise how i feel about Warne better than i could. At a quick glance he's a happy go lucky, cheeky chappy kind of guy, but it's not real, and you can see the real him pop up now and again. Disingenuous and it's why i haven't taken to him.