Derby v Cheltenham Town - Match Day Thread

For the last few games I've tried to guess what lineup Warne would pick. Just in case Warne has been looking at my team to help him with his own selection, this time I'm going with my own team...

Wildsmith

Wilson   Nelson   Cashin   Elder

Bird

Thompson   Sibley

Mendez-Laing      Blackett-Taylor

Collins

Subs: Vickers, Bradley, Ward, Hourihane, DRobinson, Barkhuizen, Weston

433 because it gives us the control in midfield we need (and we havent got another senior striker to play alongside Collins). The front 3 ince chosen are our biggest goal threats available.

Wilson starts at RB but gets moved to RW when Mendez-Laing and Blackett-Taylor have tired - Ward on at RB and Barkhuizen LW.

Wildsmith in goal will instill more confidence in the defence and the crowd.

A youthful midfield 3 to provide energy, with Bird at the base to actually link our defence and midfield together. Hourihane to find a new role as super-sub... coming on late to shut games down or to provide something different from set-pieces. Meanwhile, DRobinson is eased into L1 football.

20 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

Saturday 27th January 2024. 3pm kick-off.

Believe this is the first time I have ever started a match day thread…

Will it start with us going on another long unbeaten run or turn out to be very short lived? Let’s hope it’s the former!

UTR! 🐏

We needed a new thread starter to motivate the squad after a couple of poor performances.

With your courage to jump in and get the thread going you've shown you are the right poster to bring in the new golden age of matchday threads. We'll give you until the end of the season <hopefully>

2 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

We needed a new thread starter to motivate the squad after a couple of poor performances.

With your courage to jump in and get the thread going you've shown you are the right poster to bring in the new golden age of matchday threads. We'll give you until the end of the season <hopefully>

You having a pop? 😪

Vickers

Wilson   Nelson    Cashin   Elder

Bird   Thompson   Hourihane

NML   Collins   CBT

4-3-3, would probably have Wildsmith in but Vickers hasn’t done too much wrong and Warne won’t drop him. Could put Sibley at left back with being at home but thought Elder was best of a bad bunch on Tuesday and if TJJ had been fit I would have played him instead of Collins?!

Not been able to get across the M1 much this season, but I’m making this one. Plus, my dad has recovered enough from surgery to be at Pride Park too, so will enjoy the match regardless!

I hope Warne looks at our midfield quickly, as it’s an obvious area of weakness. We need a ball winning player in there, or a playmaker that can drive through the middle. Either of those will help!

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Thank you kind sir 🤝

2 hours ago, Boycie said:

You having a pop? 😪

Well, the form had dropped off dramatically and it would be unfair to lay the blame at your door, but on the other hand, we could just blame whoever started the thread. I think my record on matchday thread starts is something like started 3, lost 3.

5 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

Thank you kind sir 🤝

It's OK, I'll blame you next time we lose 🧐. It's not fair, i know, but I'm a small man, a petty man, posting on an internet forum. 🍻

Edited by RadioactiveWaste

Hoping for a reaction!

Wildsmith
  Wilson  Nelson  Cashin  Elder
                Robinson
           Bird  Thompson
Mendez-Laing  Blackett-Taylor
                 Collins

Pace. Energy... and... from what I've seen of him in the academy... Robbo may be just the kind of midfielder we need in the middle of the pitch (you never really know until they get some senior minutes).

COYR 🐏

13 hours ago, Topram said:

Looked like they were very unlucky to lose at a Bolton and have been on a great run, will need a big reaction from Tuesday to get 3 points 

Yes i mentioned this in a post a day or so ago,i have a relation who is a Bolton season ticket holder and he reckoned Cheltenham was one of the best sides he had seen at home and they were very fortunate to beat them 1-0.

However if we do not get the three points here then forget the top two for me its play offs at best

13 hours ago, Topram said:

Looked like they were very unlucky to lose at a Bolton and have been on a great run, will need a big reaction from Tuesday to get 3 points 

In terms of actual results, they’re on a good run for a team near the bottom but their record for the last 5 games is exactly the same as our “poor” run: W2, D1, L2. 

The worry is, as you and others have pointed out, it seems they could well have got something out of the Bolton game and they also beat Portsmouth (at home) recently.

Let’s hope they’re playing us at the wrong time (from their perspective) and whatever good form they’re on is swept aside by our big and positive reaction to the last two games. Here’s hoping anyway. COYR.

Think one could add that both Portsmouth and Bolton have been poor recently.

This weekend is hugely important and I hope there will be a big crowd urging Derby to victory. If the fans give up they can’t bemoan the team’s lack of effort.

4 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Think one could add that both Portsmouth and Bolton have been poor recently.

This weekend is hugely important and I hope there will be a big crowd urging Derby to victory. If the fans give up they can’t bemoan the team’s lack of effort.

Mmm, I don’t entirely agree. Yes, it would be good if the crowd don’t “give up” but I don’t think that is sufficiently mitigating for the players to lack effort. 

Can you imagine the post match player interview “yes we didn’t try hard enough but that the fans fault”