Derby v Cheltenham Town - Match Day Thread

I go mainly to home games I’ve struggled to make away games this season due to childcare. I would say the first 2 months of home games were a really tough watch and yesterday was very reminiscent of early season. I don’t think it’s been bad in between and I think people who don’t like the manager or his ideas are using the last week to re-emphasise their views and say it’s all part of a long trend which I don’t necessarily subscribe to. Lincoln was a tough game - as demonstrated by Posh yesterday. Reading we know was abject.

Cheltenham was an awkward game don’t care what anyone says. They are only where they are because they are catching up from one of the worst starts to a season in history. Their form is midtable since Clarke came in. They fought scrapped played football at times and played well, whereas we struggled. Until birds goal yesterday we were horrific, but the lads should be commended for getting the job done in-spite of the equally horrific home backing yesterday. It was a tough watch yes but we’re in a promotion race and we need to do better. Booing when Cheltenham scored cheering the Hourihane sub - it’s moronic. 

The performances last 2 games have concerned me we’re going to hit a dip again at precisely the wrong time - but I also think other teams will so picking up points is vital. It was a good day for us yesterday. Last season we may well have not got the win. We also had games in the run in last season where we were excellent but dropped valuable points through not being clinical (Shrewsbury Pompey MK Dons). This season even if the football at times isn’t great we look to be more clinical and hopefully this will see us through.

Yes we need to improve again but we are right in this and I get the impression we won’t go away without a fight. Fans need to get behind them. 

12 hours ago, SSD said:

I'll drop my opinions about Warne and how garbage the performance was for 70 minutes of that match.

Collo's goal was superb. He had zero service the entire game, ran his nuts into the ground yet again. One good cross and he got that brilliant volley in. What a player. I thought he'd be a broken man by now with that constant chasing down and battling. He got his rewards. Superb striker. 

There might be a time when Collins gets injured this season(I bloody hope not)and those who are primed to have a pop at him will see how much he contributes to this team, It's not just the goals it's his all-round effort to either get the ball back or harass the opposition, The honourable "workhorse" ☺️  

12 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

If I could be bothered I'd pick out loads of examples.

Can't be bothered though. 

It's just arrogance to expect victory in any fixture. 

Ipswich 1 Maidstone 2 😉

8 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

There might be a time when Collins gets injured this season(I bloody hope not)and those who are primed to have a pop at him will see how much he contributes to this team, It's not just the goals it's his all-round effort to either get the ball back or harass the opposition, The honourable "workhorse" ☺️  

Yes, I thought he looked very out of sorts yesterday. Freestone and Davies had him in their pocket, mostly because of our dumb tactics.

He hadn’t looked remotely like scoring. His single header missed by miles.

Then suddenly (and largely out of character) he intelligently dropped back into space for the cross which was expertly executed by NML (himself poor to that point) and BOOM! 
2-1

What we have consistently managed to do this season is pull goals out of nowhere. 

It was a glorious moment in a very forgettable game.

8 hours ago, Rich3478 said:

I know, but surely on your debut you’d try and chase things down and get involved? Was awful but the whole team was awful for an hour. Hopefully has a better game at Charlton next week

Like NML he’s probably been told not to worry about defending. It’s just that Nathan works his socks ff and tackles back, despite that.

12 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Which part of Cornwall? I grew up in St Austell 😊

We did Saint Blazey Gate for a week, Got blitzed in Fowey(all the boozers)and visited to Saint Austell brewery...a boozer round the corner was a must...I can see why you left...wow the locals Tired Jim Carrey GIF by Ace Ventura...😉 

29 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

I think Collo is playing himself into Player of the Season contention 

4 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

We did Saint Blazey Gate for a week, Got blitzed in Fowey(all the boozers)and visited to Saint Austell brewery...a boozer round the corner was a must...I can see why you left...wow the locals Tired Jim Carrey GIF by Ace Ventura...😉 

I love the place, would go back tomorrow if I could…

32 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I go mainly to home games I’ve struggled to make away games this season due to childcare. I would say the first 2 months of home games were a really tough watch and yesterday was very reminiscent of early season. I don’t think it’s been bad in between and I think people who don’t like the manager or his ideas are using the last week to re-emphasise their views and say it’s all part of a long trend which I don’t necessarily subscribe to. Lincoln was a tough game - as demonstrated by Posh yesterday. Reading we know was abject.

Cheltenham was an awkward game don’t care what anyone says. They are only where they are because they are catching up from one of the worst starts to a season in history. Their form is midtable since Clarke came in. They fought scrapped played football at times and played well, whereas we struggled. Until birds goal yesterday we were horrific, but the lads should be commended for getting the job done in-spite of the equally horrific home backing yesterday. It was a tough watch yes but we’re in a promotion race and we need to do better. Booing when Cheltenham scored cheering the Hourihane sub - it’s moronic. 

The performances last 2 games have concerned me we’re going to hit a dip again at precisely the wrong time - but I also think other teams will so picking up points is vital. It was a good day for us yesterday. Last season we may well have not got the win. We also had games in the run in last season where we were excellent but dropped valuable points through not being clinical (Shrewsbury Pompey MK Dons). This season even if the football at times isn’t great we look to be more clinical and hopefully this will see us through.

Yes we need to improve again but we are right in this and I get the impression we won’t go away without a fight. Fans need to get behind them. 

Good post. Cheltenham only lost 1-0 last week at Bolton (and were the better side) who are currently flying. Peterborough the league’s top scorers couldn’t score against Lincoln (like us). All the top teams are having wobbles - we just need to pull together. Nyambe back hopefully for next weekend, will be a blessing and hopefully a few injuries clearing up. Hopefully the last few days of the transfer window will go well. Now is not the time for fans to panic and boo the team and certain players. As Collins said, it only helps the opposition further. For goodness sake show you are Derby fans at this critical time.

Always remember, a season and a half ago, it didn’t look as though you would have a team to support! So please do so now.

2 hours ago, Seaside Ram said:

Just watched back that free kick for them at the death, 

What the hell was Vickers doing ???? Their bloke should've scored. 

Bring Wildsmith back ,he is clearly no 1. stop this ridiculous situation/point proving nonsense.

could wildsmith the peripheral player warne is referring to?

11 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Only three teams can get promoted. If it‘s not us this season, that’ll be because three teams have got better results than us and they will deserve credit for that.

even I can’t find anything to disagree with there 

2 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I'm not happy with the first half performance no. But I wasn't massively enthusiastic about the football under Billy Davies either but as long as we win it doesn't really matter.

We've won 11, drew 2 and lost 2 out of the last 15 games.

If we do that in the next 15 we'll win the league.

Blackett Taylor has trained twice and played about 80 minutes in total. He's at a new club, new surroundings, won't know his teammates well and you're calling him uninspiring? It's mental. 

i thought the time cbt was on the pitch,the wings were too crowded,we had cbt,sibbo,nml,and collins,plus defenders all fighting for a few metres of grass,hence no space for him to work in.he might have done better after the subs if he had stayed on the pitch

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

There's no buzz on the way in... or on the way out. Not even yesterday, after a win!

The vast majority appear to be slumped-of-the-shoulder.  Smile-less even.
Any hint of smiles/laughter can soon be determined to be on a personal level, not DCFC related (I eavesdrop a lot as I hang around outside before going in!)

There's a distinct aroma of "Doing the chores" around the ground pre-match, as if most of us are there out of duty.

I could be reading the signs wrong of course, and I'm sure some on here will argue with my observations, but they are my observations nonetheless, and I'm comfortable with airing them.
Maybe it's the weather?  Post-Christmas blues? 🤷‍♂️
Fire away!

You obviously never saw me with a big smile walking to the car or the 5 lads that went past us singing Paul warnes derby army 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I'm sorry but people booing at ht and criticism on here are 2 different things. 

We win many games because we have some quality players who can pull something out of the hat and have 2 good centre backs.

12 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Would folks be happy if we'd played well and lost 

Ofc we should be beating teams like Cheltenham at home, goes without saying 

I think the fear is (which I have) is that if we're playing like this in league 1 what on earth will we be doing in the championship. We all know Warne's record in the championship with Rotherham and the more people are seeing the more people are likely thinking it was not a lack of resources solely at fault for his dismal record there but the type of play he instills in a team. I do think he'll get us up (just through the playoffs) either this season or next because of the resource gap between us and other teams. However, I've got no faith in his 'football' in the long term. 

12 hours ago, jono said:

Except that after a dire first half, he did change it and we won. 

yes, Warne seems wedded too much to Bird Hourihan, that’s for sure. We were so much better with Fornah and Tommo on the front foot.

but looking way beyond tactics and all the anti Warne statements on here ….If you look at that first half (and it was a horrible watch )  It’s the players who are misplacing passes, it’s the players who aren’t passing and moving, it’s the players who aren’t showing for the ball, it’s the players who need 3 touches before deciding to pass the ball sideways. Berate Warne all day long but for me a heck of a lot of that first half misery rests with the players today. And for all those saying Warne hasn’t got a plan B ? .. looks like he did have didn’t he ! 3 at the back did work .. funny game football. 

Nelson, Collo, Sibs (and Bird for 45 minutes ) the stand outs for me in what was a fine example of League one football .. God I hope we can escape, that wasn’t pretty 

I was close to the pitch today and in the section of the pitch (on the right hand side in the middle) that I could see it was obvious there was a lack of clarity leading to mistakes being made. Players didn't know when or where to run to, who they should be passing to, or the pattern of play they should be exercising. Laing was getting frustrated as was Wilson who had a stinker but oftentimes he was put in a poor position because he had so few options and Laing was all over the shop. To me it stunk more of poor coaching than anything else. 

I’ve said it before a while ago, and I know it’s against the grain in general so many won’t agree, which is fine. But I don’t see an issue with booing. 

It’s a uniquely British thing where booing is taboo at sporting events. Anyone who’s watched much foreign football or even attended any can attest that it’s commonplace and isn’t frowned upon.

Yesterday, the booing was purely at the perceived lack of effort. There was no urgency, passion, pace or fight in the performance. We were lethargic and struggling against a team playing rudimentary long balls to two short strikers, with us consistently getting pushed around. That is unacceptable. There’s a minimum requirement, and that isn’t it.

It does not make anyone any less of a fan for their reaction to watching that. Sitting on top of Mount pious stating the only way to try and motivate your team is through either saying nothing or clapping, and that’s being a fan, isn’t realistic. Do as you wish, but it doesn’t make you superior to anyone else. 

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

How about getting away with playing well but losing.

I'd call losing games more of an issue but that's just me I guess...

It's such a false dichotomy you're posing. You strip out the context and pose a pointless question which no one can really answer. If over time you play well more often than not you'll win more games than lose. If over time you play poorly you'll see your form drop off. What people are concerned about is a pattern of poor play which will see results drop off.

Personally, if we had played well over the past 6 weeks and we played well yesterday and lost I'd be less concerned than seeing consistent patterns of poor play as we saw yesterday and winning. Winning when playing poorly is acceptable and even the mark of a good team if it occurs occasionally. If it happens consistently it speaks to something much more concerning that has the potential to go badly wrong. A bit like our terrible start to the season which could have seen Warne given the chop.