No midfield control again…

LN747

The team are not coached to have any control. Another midfielder will not help if Warne continues to employ the tactics he wants us to play football.

I say football. It’s pinball. Players must be being encouraged to move it as forward as quickly as possible, taking no more than 3 touches. Chaotic, gas out type football.

I thought we might go up with our squad automatically, even with him in charge. I am beginning to think not.

2 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

The team are not coached to have any control. Another midfielder will not help if Warne continues to employ the tactics he wants us to play football.

I say football. It’s pinball. Players must be being encouraged to move it as forward as quickly as possible, taking no more than 3 touches. Chaotic, gas out type football.

I thought we might go up with our squad automatically, even with him in charge. I am beginning to think not.

Oooh what you say won't be popular. The truth hurts. Absolutely spot on.

What did we look like when the second-half subs came on? #chaos #clueless

27 minutes ago, LN747 said:

Seemed obvious for 2 seasons , we struggle to control centre midfield, especially when the pressure is on 

My priority would be a better CM , but where do you find anything better for loan…

Said weeks ago we needed a holding midfielder, teams run straight through our midfield , bird & Houllane couldn't takle a balloon.  Rubbish at Lincoln and rubbish tonight. 

3 minutes ago, Ramfan1958 said:

Said weeks ago we needed a holding midfielder, teams run straight through our midfield , bird & Houllane couldn't takle a balloon.  Rubbish at Lincoln and rubbish tonight. 

We have a week left in the window . I hope Warne sees what we all see - a massive hole in midfield . 

3 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Plain & simple, Bird isnt good enough.

We need another centre midfielder for sure, maybe even 2. 

He is absolute garbage but the people of this forum who see something different 🤣

I will quote @Gee SCREAMER !! from a few weeks back - Hourihane is stealing a living in this team. Absolutely stealing one.... For a player that was supposed to be our linchpin he has been woeful in all but two or three games. Sibley is still living off that Milwall hat-trick (if ever there was an example of lucking out that was it, I'd be surprised if he scores three more goals in the rest of his career) and Bird just seems to get muscled off the ball too easily. Some say Bird gets himself about but that is for naught if you can't control and distribute the ball when you win it back.

To not score against either Lincoln or Reading and to not even have a shot on goal when a win would have taken us top shows just how poor this side actually is. And while we can point blame at Hourihane, Bird and Sibley it is also true that time and again, it's the summer signings that have been the undoing of us, there is simply no quality in nearly all of what was brought in. Nothing to even suggest we can change a game when things aren't going our way. Ward, Bradley, Washington etc. have just been bang average. Nelson, Elder, Nyambe, Wilson have replaced what was there before (Davies, Roberts etc) but besides that this team is not better than the one of loans and favours we cobbled together last season.

As for Warne, I'm not sure you can blame him as much for the footballing ideas and general intent but if you don't have bite in the centre of the park you can shout and wail all you want to get it out wide. Not much point though if you can't keep the ball for more than ten seconds or find a man in space when you do.

What I will say is that tactically Warne doesn't seem to do his homework - mate of mine is a Reading fan, tells me before the game that Azeez is the main threat. So what happens, we let him run free for the first half before we work it out? Surely someone, somewhere watched a video and had a think about what they were going up against?

Depressingly poor performance against a team that we should have cantered to a win against.

Edited by BaaLocks

12 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Plain & simple, Bird isnt good enough.

We need another centre midfielder for sure, maybe even 2. 

You could put Kevin de Bruyne in our midfield, it wouldn't make a difference because Warne actively bypasses the midfield. 

It's a tactical choice that is currently, and will continue to, cost us points.

24 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

That's bad in two ways:

1. I agree with your assessment

2. I agree with you

Midfield has been our main problem this season. Whether that's not utilising their quality or being dominated on the counter attack. I have felt for years, even though we've not had a big destroyer sitting in front of the defence, our midfield rarely let us down. Keep the ball well, tried to create chances even though the quality might not be their consistently. We've got a manager who does not want to use midfield to create chances, as much as Hourihane pretends he's Andrea Pirlo. It is a wide man team, plain and simple. For half of the season it's worked very well and the team have created plenty of shooting opportunities. When it doesn't work and teams double up on our wingers, we look horrible to watch. Forcing the ball wide at all costs. Still makes me wonder if the manager can cut it at a higher level with that type of tactic and if better opposition can work out our simple plan.

Edited by SSD

9 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

You could put Kevin de Bruyne in our midfield, it wouldn't make a difference because Warne actively bypasses the midfield. 

It's a tactical choice that is currently, and will continue to, cost us points.

True. Bird is getting some pelters I see. He wasn’t good tonight, but it is beyond my energy tonight to explain how difficult it must be for anyone to play in the middle third of the park under Warne.