No midfield control again…

LN747

15 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

You could put Kevin de Bruyne in our midfield, it wouldn't make a difference because Warne actively bypasses the midfield. 

It's a tactical choice that is currently, and will continue to, cost us points.

Erm I don’t think KDB would get outplayed outrun and out fought by Charlie Savage and Lewis Wing nor would a good league 1 midfielder, that’s why Reading are near the bottom.

stop making excuses for Bird he’s garbage it’s nothing to do with tactics. Football is played on grass.

Edited by McMuffin

Interesting that what I saw tonight was the odd time we did get hold of the ball in midfield we slowed the game down to walking pace allowing them to get everyone back behind the ball or got caught in possession allowing Reading to put us on the back foot...... maybe the players available is forcing the tactics to get it out wide quickly!

I really don't think we have the players to play the ball through midfield and certainly don't have the budget to bring them in.

22 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

You could put Kevin de Bruyne in our midfield, it wouldn't make a difference because Warne actively bypasses the midfield. 

It's a tactical choice that is currently, and will continue to, cost us points.

I just don’t think Bird and Hourihane really have the attributes needed to control and impose themselves on enough games at this level.

Reading had the exact profile of players that they don’t like to come up against.

How can we play through midfield if we don’t have the players to keep and recycle possession?

Bird and Hourihane are both too lightweight to hold off challenges or win a physical battle, too slow to cover ground and too much in need of an airfield of space to spread the ball in midfield and maintain possession.

You don’t ‘actively bypass’ something if it can be used to your advantage.

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

I just don’t think Bird and Hourihane really have the attributes needed to control and impose themselves on enough games at this level.

Reading had the exact profile of players that they don’t like to come up against.

How can we play through midfield if we don’t have the players to keep and recycle possession?

Bird and Hourihane are both too lightweight to hold off challenges or win a physical battle, too slow to cover ground and too much in need of an airfield of space to spread the ball in midfield and maintain possession.

Bird has been part of a midfield who control games at a higher level than this. Hourihane too but I grant his legs may not move as his brain wants them to anymore. 

We’re into our third Warne window. There has been ample time to address it. We are not scratching squads together anymore. We are buying (loaning) players for fees that plenty of clubs we play against week by week couldn’t dream of.

Hourihane is an ageing midfielder who scores a few and nearly scored tonight 

Bird is younger but just as slow and although can be be neat  and tidy he doesn’t score or seem to want to get involved …you can only have one of them in mid for me and it wouldn’t be young max I’m afraid felt for Thommo tonight because I thought he did quite well and has more energy 

19 minutes ago, McMuffin said:

Erm I don’t think KDB would get outplayed outrun and out fought by Charlie Savage and Lewis Wing nor would a good league 1 midfielder, that’s why Reading are near the bottom.

stop making excuses for Bird he’s garbage it’s nothing to do with tactics. Football is played on grass.

The idea that football is nothing to do with tactics is obvious nonsense.

3 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

The idea that football is nothing to do with tactics is obvious nonsense.

It is but it’s not an excuse for p1ss poor performances week in week out. 

is houihane poor because of the tactics then aswell?

Edited by McMuffin

2 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Bird has been part of a midfield who control games at a higher level than this. Hourihane too but I grant his legs may not move as his brain wants them to anymore. 

We’re into our third Warne window. There has been ample time to address it. We are not scratching squads together anymore. We are buying (loaning) players for fees that plenty of clubs we play against week by week couldn’t dream of.

Bird and Hourihane have also been part of midfields that have been completely bulldozed by the opposition both at this level and the one above.

I am not saying they don’t have quality. Of course they do. Much like any midfield, if you do your homework, you can also spot weaknesses.

I think the reality is that the restrictions and the business plan are still a factor. We had to gamble on Fornah. We can’t go out and pay for proven quality without jumping through hoops or having to make sacrifices. Look how complex the CBT deal became.

Hopefully in the summer, we’ll look to address it finally.

9 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Hourihane is an ageing midfielder who scores a few and nearly scored tonight 

Bird is younger but just as slow and although can be be neat  and tidy he doesn’t score or seem to want to get involved …you can only have one of them in mid for me and it wouldn’t be young max I’m afraid felt for Thommo tonight because I thought he did quite well and has more energy 

Bird is much faster than Hourihane and is faster than Tommo after the first 10 yards 

4 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Did anyone notice Bird receive a pass in the last 5 minutes, only to give it straight back to the same player like it was a live hand-grenade?

Wad this something to do with Warne not wanting more than two touches in midfield? I didn't hear this but I've seen it quoted.

@HorsforthRam"A bottom 6 type of performance tonight. I, along with others call for more play through our midfield. At the same time our midfield is slated. As Warne said in his interview tonight, he didn’t want players to take more than two touches in midfield. So the ball either goes back or fired down the channel. I blame Warne and his coaching staff for not training patterns of play that utilise the midfield (I think he said it was complicated in one of his earlier interviews). He’s made the likes of Bird, a talented player look v ordinary at times "

Edited by RoyMac5

4 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Did anyone notice Bird receive a pass in the last 5 minutes, only to give it straight back to the same player like it was a live hand-grenade?

It was the tactics! And it was because he was next to Houihane 🤣

Kevin De Bruyne would have done exactly the same!

Edited by McMuffin

26 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Hourihane did it in spades for Plymouth, then Barnsley and Villa at a higher level so that doesn't really add up. He didn't play as a water carrier for those sides though and I doubt he expected to when he came here.

55 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

there is simply no quality in nearly all of what was brought in. Nothing to even suggest we can change a game when things aren't going our way. Ward, Bradley, Washington etc. have just been bang average. Nelson, Elder, Nyambe, Wilson have replaced what was there before (Davies, Roberts etc)

The issue is not the squad. Elder was good tonight. Wilson has been strong for weeks, Nelson excellent imo. Nyambe has looked good too. I also think Ward will do well if used properly. 
The problem is not the players 

Edited by kevinhectoring

3 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

The issue is not the squad. Elder was good tonight. Wilson has been strong for weeks, Nelson excellent imo. Nyambe has looked good too. I also think Ward will do well is used properly. 
The problem is not the players 

This makes me laugh. He's a fullback, Sky have just shown two of Readings attacks, one the goal. Both times Elder was nowhere in defence. There were other times too. But because he went forward a bit and made a pass or two he was MoM? 😄

It's who Warne plays and where. 

Edited by RoyMac5

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

This makes me laugh. He's a fullback, Sky have just shown two of Readings attacks, one the goal. Both times Elder was nowhere in defence. There were other times too. But because he went forward a bit and made a pass or two he was MoM? 😄

It's who Warne plays and where. 

Probably just highlights just how bad the rest of the team was!