Derby V Burton match day thread

Boycie

17 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

To many, a change at half time was needed. The calls for changes intensified shortly after our 2nd goal as we had no control of the game and were struggling to pass the ball at times. It shouldn't have taken 37 minutes and 2 goals conceded to realise a change was required.

Considering we were 2 goals to the good, and very rarely being threatened.  What changes were people demanding?? 

23 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Having watched the highlights the pass for their second goal was a peach. If it had been  made by Gorgeous George we would gave been purring all night. It is possible that even without the slip Elder would have struggled to deal with it.

Plus why was Elder the only one back !

Wouldnt blame the lad .

Wrote out a long reply after reading through the match thread, but deleted it as it sounded a bit preachy. Instead am just going to say, to some posters,  why give up on the outcome of a game at the first sign of a setback? There's always time for a late winner, ( yes I know, maybe for the opposition too, but we don't know, so why give up?) And please, lay off the digs on Sonny Bradley before he even gets on the pitch, he's our player, for the team we support, so why wouldn't you support him?

4 minutes ago, Crewton said:

He obviously misjudged Hugill's position, but he shouldn't have been the only one back there.

It’s been standard for a good while now that 1 player holds the fort. To my mind, Elder is the last pick for that job - I have to say he’s a big question mark generally in my book. In the past it’s been Corey Smith, Nyambe, so players with a mostly defensive brief, who’re least likely to score. 

38 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Considering we were 2 goals to the good, and very rarely being threatened.  What changes were people demanding?? 

I recall it was mostly Thompson on for John-Jules to help with the control of the game in the middle of the pitch and to freshen our press. Before and after their 2nd, a few wanted Brown on for John-Jules. It wasn't working for him last night, so bringing on the only attacking player on our bench was a sensible suggestion- 5 goals today for the U21s shows he's hungry for goals with a point to prove.

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

Exactly a couple, not 1 on 1.  That's school boy basics...

It wasn't 1 on 1 though, Elder was on his own waiting to pick up a clearance. At the moment they headed the ball clear, their goalscorer was the most forward player, just outside his own area. Our closest player was CH and didn't/couldn't keep up with him.

Credit where credit is due, the Burton players executed the perfect break from defence.

Elder could have been a bit closer, but the striker was running full tilt at him and on to a prefect pass in front of him.

1705427881360730070711906341367.jpg

3 minutes ago, ram59 said:

It wasn't 1 on 1 though, Elder was on his own waiting to pick up a clearance. At the moment they headed the ball clear, their goalscorer was the most forward player, just outside his own area. Our closest player was CH and didn't/couldn't keep up with him.

Credit where credit is due, the Burton players executed the perfect break from defence.

Elder could have been a bit closer, but the striker was running full tilt at him and on to a prefect pass in front of him.

1705427881360730070711906341367.jpg

Perfectly summed up.  The striker was on his bike and Elder had it all on there.  

At the match I was critical of Elder who seemed to let the guy just go past him but having watched a few replays of the goal he was totally exposed to the pace of Hugill - not sure if he slipped or was caught flat-footed. Either way, we were 2-1 up and didn't need to leave ourselves exposed to their counter attack in such a soft way.

I don't know if his substitution a few minutes later was Warne's response to Elders' part in the goal but if it was, I hope he reflects on the position the rest of the team left him in - after all we don't have too many option at LB until Fozzy is back to being available for selection.

There's been a lot of comments regarding the poor substitutions, but with the advantage of hindsight, would the 'correct' substitutions have resulted in a win, as well?

We'll never know, we may well be second in the table now, but I'll take the result and the euphoria of the injury time winner for now.

1 hour ago, HorsforthRam said:

Didn’t like the Burton fans. 

Don't beat yersen up about it mate.
As I sat wondering whether to leave early or not*, I distinctly heard them singing that they actually HATED us, so feckham!

*I didn't... we scored... yeh me!  🐏

35 minutes ago, 8Leeds said:

When did they actually start hating us? I used to enjoy the preseason game at Burton and always thought we had a good relationship with their fans. 

They don't. Half that lot were Villa, Man U, Liverpool, Notts Forest who live in Burton. There was even a Coventry fan and Leeds fan i know who were there.

W anchors to a man.

20 hours ago, Eddie said:

From reading this thread, I have to assume that it was one of the worst performances ever by a Derby County side - yet we somehow fluked a win. Is that a fair assessment?

/still not well enough to attend in person - just in spirit.

I watched it on Rams TV Eddie. 

For Calum Elder think Mick Coop mate. Lol 

10 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

They don't. Half that lot were Villa, Man U, Liverpool, Notts Forest who live in Burton. There was even a Coventry fan and Leeds fan i know who were there.

W anchors to a man.

Not surprised by this, their away numbers last night must have been well over half the number that go to the home games. They probably only turn up for home games against big opposition in the cups or Derby.

All credit to the club though, for being able to compete with the likes Derby on crowds of 3,000.

Edited by ram59
Extra information