Derby V Burton match day thread

Boycie

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

Don't beat yersen up about it mate.
As I sat wondering whether to leave early or not*, I distinctly heard them singing that they actually HATED us, so feckham!

*I didn't... we scored... yeh me!  🐏

6 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

They don't. Half that lot were Villa, Man U, Liverpool, Notts Forest who live in Burton. There was even a Coventry fan and Leeds fan i know who were there.

W anchors to a man.

This one does, bet the other one does as well.  Hope Mel enjoys being coated with his egg the filthy beast.

Yet again, so close at Pride Park but at least we have now scored there and those 30 minutes in the second half will live long in the memory where we put the wind up them briefly before the sucker punch at the end. Can't stand their fans and it wouldn't have bothered me if they'd gone under. They helped cause it my egging on Mel Morris with his spending spree and moaned about it when it went wrong. Hypocrites. Be funny if that team went up and tried to stay in the Championship. Would be relegated by March.

Anyway, onto Saturday. COYB!!

1 hour ago, 8Leeds said:

When did they actually start hating us? I used to enjoy the preseason game at Burton and always thought we had a good relationship with their fans. 

To be fair to them, even fans of teams from far bigger towns like Reading, for example, have held a grudge for 20 years because our fans celebrated an easy home win when we should have been applauding them off the pitch as "game triers".

I honestly don't know how those types of people cope with life in general.

7 hours ago, On the Ram Page said:

Just watched the game back, they just made 2 like for like substitutions, there was no change of shape. We just made 2 clangers from which they scored.

Oh, for goodness sake, don't say that. You will totally shatter the illusions of the Warne-haters who would otherwise continually maintain that every goal we concede is the fault of the management being continually out-thought by the opposition boss, whose 'cunning plan' would have inevitably resulted in failure if only Clowes had only had the foresight to have given the job to one of our Championship Manager 01/02 experts.

11 minutes ago, Eddie said:

The manager. Duh.

We were being out pressed at times, our midfield were being bypassed and passed through for large parts of the second half. Most people here wanted to match up to them in the middle, going to a midfield 3 might have been an idea. I'd have gone to a back 3 and effectively had 5 in midfield to strangle them.

We were crying out for some legs in the middle.

Just my opinion like. Feel free to make up your own.

2 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

We were being out pressed at times, our midfield were being bypassed and passed through for large parts of the second half. Most people here wanted to match up to them in the middle, going to a midfield 3 might have been an idea. I'd have gone to a back 3 and effectively had 5 in midfield to strangle them.

We were crying out for some legs in the middle.

Just my opinion like. Feel free to make up your own.

Interesting. 3 at the back hasn't looked good for us.

Instead of that approach, perhaps go 4-3-3 when we're looking to see out a win and sacrifice a striker to get another body into midfield?

I think the main issue for me is to spot when we are losing control a bit sooner.

6 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Interesting. 3 at the back hasn't looked good for us.

Instead of that approach, perhaps go 4-3-3 when we're looking to see out a win and sacrifice a striker to get another body into midfield?

I think the main issue for me is to spot when we are losing control a bit sooner.

I'd have loved to go 4-3-3 as I think it would help both bird and Hourihane, I just couldn't think of a time we'd played it recently. Might just be my crap memory though. Assumed Warne would go with what he knew. Instead he just did nothing.

The Burton manager made a good point in his radio Derby interview. They didn't change the shape, he just asked them to be more positive and start playing forward more, to try and get at us. It worked for a while, at 2-1 and 2-2 they had us pinned in our half for long spells. We were far too deep.

Goes to show that sometimes you don't need to change the shape to change a game. So maybe Warne was right after all.

God knows.

Also, my feelings on 3 at the back with two wings backs mean we should have 5 at the back when we really need it. Or 4, as a wing back can drop in. Then 5 in midfield when needed. Then extra runners into the box when needed. It's a really flexible formation on paper, and let's you have bodies all over the pitch in different phases. It's just a shame we've looked so hamstrung at times while playing it.

Edited by oodledoodle

6 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Seddon is about 10 stone wet through, there's no way he should be out muscling NML like he did.  People can't pull Elder apart for his error and not appoint some blame for their first at Nat's door.  It was sloppy.

Try getting a 10 stone athlete to push you in the back and kick your legs from under you and see if you can keep control of a football.   It was a blatant foul and the weight of Seddon is irrelevant. 

Edited by trappatoni

4 minutes ago, trappatoni said:

Try getting a 10 stone athlete to push you in the back and kick your legs from under you and see if you can keep control of a football.   It was a blatant foul and the weight of Seddon is irrelevant. 

Warney didn’t think so…

5 hours ago, CBRammette said:

Generally the forum is much more negative and shouty (esp during the game) about what had gone on than those who actually attend the match. Stating the bleeding obvious I guess so ignore 😂

Beat in mind that many folks on the forum during the match are also watching the game on Ramstv…

10 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

I'd have loved to go 4-3-3 as I think it would help both bird and Hourihane, I just couldn't think of a time we'd played it recently. Might just be my crap memory though. Assumed Warne would go with what he knew. Instead he just did nothing.

The Burton manager made a good point in his radio Derby interview. They didn't change the shape, he just asked them to be more positive and start playing forward more, to try and get at us. It worked for a while, at 2-1 and 2-2 they had us pinned in our half for long spells. We were far too deep.

Goes to show that sometimes you don't need to change the shape to change a game. So maybe Warne was right after all.

God knows.

Also, my feelings on 3 at the back with two wings backs mean we should have 5 at the back when we really need it. Or 4, as a wing back can drop in. Then 5 in midfield when needed. Then extra runners into the box when needed. It's a really flexible formation on paper, and let's you have bodies all over the pitch in different phases. It's just a shame we've looked so hamstrung at times while playing it.

All speculation isn't it? No formation is suddenly going to turn our ageing plodders into gazelles.

All formations are probably flexible if all the players are mobile enough and bright enough to know how to make it work. I recall earlier in the season that there were comments about the players seemingly looking like they didn't know what they were being asked to do!

I do think as a general rule that our CBs aren't quick enough to play in a 3. Cash is at least young, but rapid he is not.

15 minutes ago, trappatoni said:

With the weight I'm carrying nowadays he'd probably break his foot, then some ribs when I fell on him.

40 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

God knows.

If anyone bothers to watch the game back on Ramstv, it is absolute nonsense to say they pinned us in our half for long periods. Possibly 5 minutes after they equalised. We probably lost a little confidence after they equalised and our passing went awry. Aperture from the 2 gifts we gave them, they never looked like scoring.

5 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I recall it was mostly Thompson on for John-Jules to help with the control of the game in the middle of the pitch and to freshen our press. Before and after their 2nd, a few wanted Brown on for John-Jules. It wasn't working for him last night, so bringing on the only attacking player on our bench was a sensible suggestion- 5 goals today for the U21s shows he's hungry for goals with a point to prove.

If it ain’t broke, which at that point it wasn’t, why fix it?? What if Warne had made those changes and they still equalised, he’d be absolutely slated for going negative.  I get the feeling with some fans he’s damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t…

5 hours ago, ram59 said:

It wasn't 1 on 1 though, Elder was on his own waiting to pick up a clearance. At the moment they headed the ball clear, their goalscorer was the most forward player, just outside his own area. Our closest player was CH and didn't/couldn't keep up with him.

Credit where credit is due, the Burton players executed the perfect break from defence.

Elder could have been a bit closer, but the striker was running full tilt at him and on to a prefect pass in front of him.

1705427881360730070711906341367.jpg

I stand corrected on this point, I thought Hugill was further up when they broke

7 hours ago, caymanram said:

Beat in mind that many folks on the forum during the match are also watching the game on Ramstv…

Well obviously or they couldnt comment. It was more that the negativity is more pronounced from those that arent actually there not saying they arent watching

14 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

To many, a change at half time was needed. The calls for changes intensified shortly after our 2nd goal as we had no control of the game and were struggling to pass the ball at times. It shouldn't have taken 37 minutes and 2 goals conceded to realise a change was required.

Personally, I didn't hear a single call for a change after our second goal, that's probably because at that point we were absolutely cruising and Burton had hardly had a kick.

I think you're completely rewriting history here with the benefit of hindsight.

17 hours ago, On the Ram Page said:

Just watched the game back, they just made 2 like for like substitutions, there was no change of shape. We just made 2 clangers from which they scored.

This was exactly my thoughts. 

9 hours ago, On the Ram Page said:

If anyone bothers to watch the game back on Ramstv, it is absolute nonsense to say they pinned us in our half for long periods. Possibly 5 minutes after they equalised. We probably lost a little confidence after they equalised and our passing went awry. Aperture from the 2 gifts we gave them, they never looked like scoring.

Five minutes for me felt like a long period. Appreciate that people might see the game differently, but I do remember a spell where I thought we were far too deep and were nowhere near matching their energy and numbers in midfield. Until we made changes.

Paul Warne was also unhappy with the performance, but it's football. Just a game of "what ifs" and hindsight.