Derby vs Port Vale

B4’s Sister

Finally a game where Warne hasnt put a dampener on it with his subs. Win or lose he has made bizarre substitutions recently. He recognised todays game was there for the taking and brought on the right players. Solid performance and a deserved win. 

The middle 3 continue to puzzle me. Fornah has made some silly mistakes but i think he is the future over Smith who seems to perform better at RB than his preferred CM. Hopefully we'll see that 3 dominate more in games moving forward and the issue was Smith rather than Hourihane/Bird.

Wilson is clearly a better winger than the RB he was brought in to be. He isnt a good defender but offers far more excitement than Barks the way he takes players on. Keep Nyambe and hold on to Bird and Cashin and dare I say it our starting XII just needs an out and out striker to compete at the top. Shame we didnt snap up CM. I am not one for going to past players but his touch on Saturday was still there and he'd set up Wilson and Mendez-Laing as he did Russell and co.

11 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

We have won 4 in a row, one of the most in form teams in the league, joint best defence & within touching distance of the top 2 without really hitting top performances YET, they will come as confidence grows, Warne himself said this is the time of year his teams start to click & kick on in the league.

I think the concern is really that we haven't clicked. We're doing just enough, but I worry that it isn't sustainable in the long run. 

Well done Rams. Steady away win, well deserved. One of those games where we'd be moaning if we didn't win though, much like Bristol Rovers.

All about momentum now. Need 7 or 9  points between now and Christmas time keep us on the tails of top 2.

Warne...in. By fingernails. 

Great stuff - we've hauled ourselves into the fringes of the promotion race. Previously when we've done that, we've had a nosebleed. Hopefully this group of players will be able to push on. Sounded solid tonight - and with a lot of energy. There are five more games to the midpoint of the season. Win at least four and we'll be properly in the mix.

Made up for JJ. After so long out, amazing to bag a goal with your first touch! After his injury-ravaged time with us so far, Arsenal won't want him back. Just maybe he can stay fit and give us some magic in the second half of the season?

A decent enough performance. Another 3 points, this time away from home and with a clean sheet to boot, which the coaches will absolutely love. Could it be that patience is now beginning to reap its own rewards?

With games coming thick and fast right through to the New Year, we are finishing the year in as good form as any side in the division and while tonight's was not a flashy performance, a la Barnsley, or Northampton, I thought it was thoroughly professional and comfortable enough, if truth be told.

COYR

25 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Meh performance, good win. Can't gripe too much, but we didn't create a huge amount.

7 shots on target (4 of which required diving saves from their keeper) is nearly twice the divisional average for away games (3.9) and nearly 25% higher than the team with the highest average, Oxford (5.7), so I'm not sure what your expectations are in that respect, but they seem to be allot higher than any team in the division is capable of.

2 minutes ago, Poynton ram said:

Couldn’t believe the size of the Port Vale pitch, no wonder NML looked so knackered. Great win and the run reminds me of Jim Smith’s first season when we started slowly and then really picked up to eventually finish second. Shame no game Sat

Under Smith we looked a million miles above the rest for about 8 games till New years day where we won but struggled against Norwich.  Then it was all a bit tighter performance wise for a bit but we looked better than most and did 20 without losing.  I can't see that in this side, as we don't have enough up top or a good enough mix of muscle and technique in midfield or behind the striker.  Second would exceed what's currently in the squad without some additions.

7 minutes ago, Crewton said:

7 shots on target (4 of which required diving saves from their keeper) is nearly twice the divisional average for away games (3.9) and nearly 25% higher than the team with the highest average, Oxford (5.7), so I'm not sure what your expectations are in that respect, but they seem to be allot higher than any team in the division is capable of.

I think the 7 shots on target statistic is fairly unimportant and that particular statistic can be pretty misleading. I can only name two chances of note in the game, the goal and the save from Fornah. I don't think we were particularly productive. 

Can you name any other serious chances that we created? 

Edited by Andicis

17 minutes ago, valakari said:

....also when Collins went off and a proper striker came on..we scored and looked completely different.

A mention for Fornah..so much better with him playing instead of Smith..much more mobile

Collins did everything that could reasonably have been asked of him tonight IMO. Didn't hesitate to shoot when he got sight of goal, got his shots on target, forced a couple of decent saves from the keeper, ran his socks off pulling the defence around. Maybe if he'd got that chance that JJ did, he'd have buried it too. But he didn't get a 1v1 with time to place his spot, and that wasn't his fault.

A pacey striker coming on with 20 minutes to go is what we've missed all season and, while Collins doesn't always perform, I couldn't fault him tonight. Give him credit for softening the defence up.