Hourihane gone in January?

StarterForTen

I can't post this in the transfer section as I have no formal link but an old colleague of mine, now a northern football writer for a national newspaper, told me last night that he believes at least two Championship clubs are monitoring Conor Hourihane for a possible January move. From what he said, I would suggest one of them is Huddersfield Town, though he didn't name them.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Would make a midfield of Birdy Tommo and Fornah possible. Oh, but will Birdy fly too. 

From what I've seen of CH this season, Liam Thompson could do everything he does (and would do it on probably a quarter of the wages)

1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

From what I've seen of CH this season, Liam Thompson could do everything he does (and would do it on probably a quarter of the wages)

I like Hourihane and he'd have an advantage over Thompson in terms of experience/decision-making and passing, but Thompson brings other attributes he doesn't have and overall it wouldn't be the end of the world.

1 hour ago, StarterForTen said:

I can't post this in the transfer section as I have no formal link but an old colleague of mine, now a northern football writer for a national newspaper, told me last night that he believes at least two Championship clubs are monitoring Conor Hourihane for a possible January move. From what he said, I would suggest one of them is Huddersfield Town, though he didn't name them.

Did he have his Terrier with him? 😁

1 hour ago, StarterForTen said:

Hull are north and they're managed by LR who brought CH to Derby, an easy link to be made.

Hourihane is very good at what he can do - specifically his delivery into the box. However, there are a some things he'll never be able to do, but those are the sort of things Warne needs from midfielders to make his system work. Warne is also unwilling to change his philosophy to accommodate Hourihane's deficiencies. He's also on a very high wage for this league.

He's unlikely to be given a new deal at the end of the season, so I think it would also be in Hourihane's best interests to find an 18 month deal (or longer) in January rather than waiting until the summer. It would also benefit the club by freeing up a hefty wage which can then be used to strengthen the squad.

Hoped him to be the Dave Mackay / Robbie Van Der Laan / John Gregory (icon not position) of our resurgence, well I was wrong on that one. Been bang average for the most part, with occassional moments of skill (the third goal last night) but all too far and between to make me think of shedding any tears if this were true.

He did well in the ‘quarterback’ role against Northampton. But he’s not mobile enough to be more than that. With his passing and reading of the field, he should thrive in a confident team with runners ahead of him, which is what I hope we become. Against a midfield that are physically superior, will need to show a bit more.