Derby County versus Northampton Town (H) Match Thread

S8TY

Good win. It’s all about how we follow it up against Barnsley now as they’re the games that will define our season.

Thought Bradley was great, not just for defending but his direct passing through the middle is something we have lacked. If Cashin is going in January then maybe we stick with this now?

Not really a fan of Hourihane sitting so deep as it just feels like he gets in the way a bit, but he might have been told to sit that deep.

Went to pot a little towards the end but I guess we had bought the luxury of being able to make lots of changes and experiment a bit.

Must confess I did enjoy watching that. Clearly the opposition were very limited but that's not Derby's fault.

What struck me tonight was how comfortable we looked with the ball - pop passes, plenty of movement & patience when in possession. That mentality gave us control of the game very quickly & thereafter they couldn't stop us slicing through them. We have the players to play this way regularly & I want us to have the same principles away from PP with oppo midfielders closing down quicker than Northampton's did tonight - not the hot potato rubbish we've seen in recent weeks.

Shout out to Conor Washington who I thought was very good with his movement, touch & work rate - great finish too. A deserved MOM for Max Bird though who looked like a mini Frank Lampard that first half in particular. Two immaculate finishes & maybe the start of a breakout season for him in terms of goalscoring.

Pleased also for Dajaune Brown getting his first minutes of first team action & hopefully his debut sees him kick on to be a regular first team squad member.

Should have brought the young lad on before Collins...would have been nice to give him longer.

Collins will go he is certainly not good enough.

Really enjoyed our first half performance..we were on the front foot, playing without handbrakes on...maybe we should have this mentality in all games..just outplay the oppostion!

4-0 win. Absolutely cannot moan. I mean I could pick fault here and there, but I won't.

Well...

...go on then. 😉

How did Collo miss that header?

Why does Sonny have a heart-in-mouth back pass moment every game?

We were owed a performance. Why let it fizzle out with the subs?

But on balance...bloody well done Derby County. Thoroughly enjoyed my night out. Which is all I ask.

Not much to say. We moved the ball quickly, ran for each other, remembered we had individual skill while also working as a team. They didn’t press and when they occasionally did, we passed it round them.

lots of excellent performances, obviously Max but was delighted for Sonny and thought Barks was a real catalyst throughout the game.